Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheaper E Code lenses

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 03:22 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cheaper E Code lenses

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/7-H60...Q5fAccessories

Saw those on ebay and was curious if anyone on here has run them. I was thinking of ordering a set now that I have my foglights addressed. I would like to run a H4 bulb.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:35 PM
JPs924S
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With $14 to ship to Canada via USPS, they would be worth a try. That is about the same as 1 Sylvania Silver Star sealed beam up here. Their vendor rating on eBay is very good too. I was going to order the Hella E-Code ones from www.rallylights.com , but given that my 924 is on a budget at this point...
Old 02-14-2011, 10:05 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Lenses aren't created equal. Autopal = junk. I've had Autopal lenses before.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:53 PM
76 911s
Racer

Originally Posted by CurtP
Lenses aren't created equal. Autopal = junk. I've had Autopal lenses before.
Agreed. Though 100% better than DOT spec, even the Hella Ecodes widely available are pretty crappy in terms of light output and dispersal when compared to Cibies.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:01 PM
JPs924S
Track Day

The last cars that I had with round headlights were my 1978 Ford Fiesta, and my 1980 VW Rabbit, over 20 years ago. I had the Bosch H4 headlights in both of those, and I was really happy with them. By contrast, I had the Hella H4 square low-beams in my Audi 4000, and they were WORSE than the stock sealed beams (truly disappointed). I do remember the odd pattern in the Bosch, and the funny hot-spots and lines in the pattern. The Hella look similar, so I could see room for improvement.

The Cibies look amazing, and they should be for the price (unless you find a real bargain on a set). I still would not consider these Autopal units to be a big risk at that price, and at worst they would be better than the sealed beam units in my car now.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:10 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

I was looking for something that I could run H4 bulbs in. I am wanting some better lighting.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:55 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

I think I shopped and found a pair of Hellas brand new for $75 shipped last year. I put Sylvania Silver Star bulbs in them and I'm quite happy.

I'd spend a little extra and get them.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:56 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 76 911s
Agreed. Though 100% better than DOT spec, even the Hella Ecodes widely available are pretty crappy in terms of light output and dispersal when compared to Cibies.
The hellas are the best "compromise" on the market. Though they do not have quite as sharp of a pattern as the Cibies, they are much more rugged. Just search on here. 7" Cibies crack like crazy and I have never even heard of a 7" Hella ecode failure.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:09 AM
76 911s
Racer

Originally Posted by Travis - sflraver
The hellas are the best "compromise" on the market. Though they do not have quite as sharp of a pattern as the Cibies, they are much more rugged. Just search on here. 7" Cibies crack like crazy and I have never even heard of a 7" Hella ecode failure.
I fully agree with you there. I cracked a few on a '74 Alfa Spider with covered headlights... Got caught out in the rain, and I guess when water dripped between the body and covers on the lenses they cracked then.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:56 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What an earth is "City Lights". That term was on that E-Bay add. Not such a term here in Europe.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:19 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've cracked one of my Hellas .... But rocks will do that

There is absolutely no reason everyone shouldn't upgrade to the H4s. Even if you don't plan on running brighter bulbs. Our wiring is getting old, and switches are wearing out, and are expensive to replace. It takes 10min to install the new harness, the new lights are much better quality than the sealed beams, and it will save you the time and torture of finding a short in the stock wiring, which will happen sooner or later.

With the H4 harness, the only load on the stock headlight system is the draw of a pulling the switch on a relay....which is almost non-existent.

Its one of those "required" upgrades for a 944. Like the throttle cam, and a performance chip. Sure the car works without them, but they are so cheap and easy to do, the benefits FAR outweigh the cost/time of doing them.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:52 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I had one that I bought from you in a group purchase crack. I wasn't very happy about it either. No rock chip and the crack appeared to have started from the edge of the lens. I sent you an email about it, but never got a response, so I just ordered a new one from your website.

FWIW, every lens is a compromise and there is no one lens that's the best at everything. Different lenses are better at usually one thing or another, so you have to take in account what specific aspect is the most important to you (i.e., city driving, high beam usage, better lit peripherals, etc). For example, most of my driving is done in the city with a lot of unlit signage. The best EU lens for me is made by WorldPac (but I don't recall the specific model). I've tried two pairs of their lenses, and I can't keep them from cracking - they just don't like being mounted as pop-up headlights. Cibie is the same way - the glass is just too thin around the edges. So I've had to compromise and go with the flat-lens Bosch.

I have been curious about some of the new LED lamp assemblies that are starting to become available. While I'm not quite sold on the technology in this application yet, I'd like to see where they are now.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:07 PM
bmnelsc
Track Day

Classic garage sell cibie e code reproductions at a reasonable cost. I ordered some for 1991 S2 before I realized that I could not use seal beam replacements as I had the headlight level adjusters (RoW option). I had to change because my car came from Japan (still left hand drive) but the headlights were for right hand drive as per Japan. Ended up buying new Porsche parts ($550) so these Cibie clones look like a real bargain.

http://classicgarage.com/7rounheadwit.html
Old 03-26-2011, 08:19 PM
JPs924S
Track Day

That looks like a very good option. Do you still have the ones that you couldn't use? If you do, and want to sell them, let me know. I 'd rather spend a little to ship across country (Ontario), than give the money to brokerage/shipping from the US.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:52 PM
fittrjoe
Rennlist Member

i did the e- code lense h-4 upgrade with new harness to my s2 and although happy with end result have a quick question: what wattage h-4s are you guys running? my kit came with hella h-4 60/55 watt bulbs . how much higher can i go and is there much difference ? was thinking maybe the kit came with " conservative " bulbs.

Quick Reply: Cheaper E Code lenses