Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 3 Piece Cross Member

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Izzy Does It
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 944 3 Piece Cross Member

Anyone have any experience with the Lindsey Racing 944 3 piece cross member? I know that it greatly reduces the time it takes to replace the oil pan gasket or rod bearings, especially if the 944 is a turbo version. I suspect that most 944s that have these cross members are probably raced. My intention was for street use. Any problems associated with the the 3-piece member, such as alignment, squeaks, working their way loose? Fitment problems?

Last edited by Izzy Does It; 02-06-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:23 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

I've seen a few broken welds on them. I think TonyG's V8 broke one IIRC. I've always thought about picking one up though. Did rod bearings with the normal crossmember and it sucked.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:24 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Been using the LR 3 piece cross member for many years now, no problems at all. If you are going to be removing the stock piece while doing maintenance, you owe it to your self to get the 3 piece as it make the next job soooooo much easier
Old 02-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Izzy Does It
Instructor

Originally Posted by David Floyd
Been using the LR 3 piece cross member for many years now, no problems at all. If you are going to be removing the stock piece while doing maintenance, you owe it to your self to get the 3 piece as it make the next job soooooo much easier
Yes, David. I am doing maintenance (replacing the rod bearings) and that is why I am considering the 3-piece. Anything to make it easier the next go around. It is good to hear that you haven't had any problems.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:40 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yup, broken welds seem to be the theme with 3 piece crossmembers.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Izzy Does It
Instructor

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
I've seen a few broken welds on them. I think TonyG's V8 broke one IIRC. I've always thought about picking one up though. Did rod bearings with the normal crossmember and it sucked.
Oh yeah, it sucks big time. That's why I am contemplating the 3-piece. Hate to hear about the broken welds.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:52 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There is one guy that has one on a track car and needs torque check the bolts every day. They tend to loosen on him.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:35 AM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There should be some clarification on this - Lindsey Racing's 3 piece cross members seem to be the best made on the market but allegedly some of them have cracked. Also keep in mind that are a lot of copycat versions and others who "homemade" their own 3 piece versions that have had the greater share of the cracking. The cracking is mostly from extreme environments such as those who frequently track / race their cars rather than from a simple daily driver. So keep that in mind. If you really want to know - then give Lindsey Racing a call as I'm sure those who have had cracks in them likely have contacted Lindsey about the quality of the product.

I have had a Lindsey 3 piece on my 944-Spec car for several years now with no issues and a lot of track time. Unfortunately the series I race in made a clarification that no longer allows these so I have to take mine out. I'll leave it at that.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Hotshoe
Instructor

I've been looking at these for awhile and just haven't pulled the trigger due the seemingly mixed experience.

Maybe I'm paranoid but I would venture that any race series that disallows these does so due to safety concerns. Seems logical, no? More mystery to consider.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:55 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hotshoe
... but I would venture that any race series that disallows these does so due to safety concerns. Seems logical, no? ...
No. Safety is not issue. The issue is the potential to modify the suspension geometry by using a non-stock part.

The rules have never allowed it explicitly and because it as modified it not considered stock. It was proposed for 2011 as rules change to allow it, but the majority of the 944 spec drivers did want a rules change. It was seen as little gain for what might be potential competitiveness issue. If you allow modified ones then it can be harder to validate if the proper suspension geomertry and engine position are maintined. By requiring stock only it is easier to ensure no modifications to the part. In general the class is resistant to any rules change that might allow room for creating a performance edge.

The part was not really evaluated for safety.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:56 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

LR 3 here for many years, the increased HP/968 MO30 suspension/and bigger footprint has put the car through her stresses, and I do push her... not a single problem.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Hotshoe
Instructor

Originally Posted by M758
No. Safety is not issue. The issue is the potential to modify the suspension geometry by using a non-stock part.

The rules have never allowed it explicitly and because it as modified it not considered stock. It was proposed for 2011 as rules change to allow it, but the majority of the 944 spec drivers did want a rules change. It was seen as little gain for what might be potential competitiveness issue. If you allow modified ones then it can be harder to validate if the proper suspension geomertry and engine position are maintined. By requiring stock only it is easier to ensure no modifications to the part. In general the class is resistant to any rules change that might allow room for creating a performance edge.

The part was not really evaluated for safety.
Good to know. I really would like to get one and this seems reassuring.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:08 AM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hotshoe
Good to know. I really would like to get one and this seems reassuring.
Well I'll have a used on for sale soon - mine is being removed from my car sometime soon. PM me if interested.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:52 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jaje
I have had a Lindsey 3 piece on my 944-Spec car for several years now with no issues and a lot of track time. Unfortunately the series I race in made a clarification that no longer allows these so I have to take mine out. I'll leave it at that.
What series are you racing in that no longer allows the 3 piece? It would help to know the rules you're racing under, I'm building a track car for PCA racing and would very much like to know if this part is legal. I have no idea who to ask other than folks on this board who race. I haven't had enough racing experience to have personal contacts, I just like working on cars.

This seems like a very desirable improvement over the stock crossmember.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:17 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

You can contact anyone with "scrutineer" after their name:

https://www.pca.org/club-racing-contacts

I know Brent is active on here under F1Rocks.

Quick Reply: 944 3 Piece Cross Member