Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 3 Piece Cross Member

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 02:08 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
What series are you racing in that no longer allows the 3 piece? It would help to know the rules you're racing under, I'm building a track car for PCA racing and would very much like to know if this part is legal. I have no idea who to ask other than folks on this board who race. I haven't had enough racing experience to have personal contacts, I just like working on cars.

This seems like a very desirable improvement over the stock crossmember.
What class are you building it for?
Old 06-15-2016, 04:19 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

I've had mine on my SP2 race car for three years and haven't had any issues except for having to trim some excess material where it was rubbing on my oil pan when i installed it.
After two rod bearing replacements and an oil pan drop to replace my rings , i'm very happy with my purchase !
Old 06-15-2016, 05:52 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by f1rocks
What class are you building it for?
In this generation I'm building the car for stock using the Firestone Firehawk specifications. This obviously isn't stock, so I may need to keep the solid part but I'd sure like to replace it now since I expect to be doing rod bearings pretty soon.

Right now I'm just rebuilding the suspension and drive train to Firehawk. Just put in a LSD and better shocks. Not using coil-overs on the rear to keep with the original specs. No magnesium oil pan
Old 06-15-2016, 05:54 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wildcat077
I've had mine on my SP2 race car for three years and haven't had any issues except for having to trim some excess material where it was rubbing on my oil pan when i installed it.
After two rod bearing replacements and an oil pan drop to replace my rings , i'm very happy with my purchase !
That's why I want one. Thanks for the endorsement!
Old 06-15-2016, 06:04 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wildcat077
Since I'll need to do this also, I may wait to replace the cross member until that comes up. I talked to Lindsey this morning and I'm waiting to hear if they have one in stock. They said they usually take the customer's cross member and use it for the 3 piece part. They cut it and weld it. It takes a couple of weeks to do the whole thing including there and back again shipping, which isn't bad but I need to get the car on the road ASAP since I'm selling my house and my new shop is ready for it now. I have the whole thing apart and need to get it back together.

This sounds like a great idea, maybe not the best time for me though. If they have one in stock that will change my planning. I'll know more tomorrow.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:59 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van
You can contact anyone with "scrutineer" after their name:

https://www.pca.org/club-racing-contacts

I know Brent is active on here under F1Rocks.
Thanks, I gave that a whirl. I've been a PCA member for decades, never really knew how to use the website. Learn something everyday...
Old 06-16-2016, 06:59 AM
AZ520
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first 944 I purchased couple years ago was a streetable track build, I didn't know much about 944s when I got the car. It has a 3 piece cross member, looks to be a Lindsey racing piece and I have had no problems with it, bolts don't come loose, seems very solid and I drive the hell out of it on ****ty Tucson roads
Old 06-18-2016, 12:32 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

I have one on my Cup car and no issues. It was installed when I purchased the car, and the previous owner (installer) loved it. I didn't even know anyone had issues, but I don't follow that topic specifically.
Old 06-18-2016, 06:33 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Thanks to both of you for the endorsements and the experience with club racing. I put a call into the PCA and haven't gotten a response but it sounds like this isn't a "suspect" part. I managed to get one from Lindsey yesterday, they had a core in stock they could use, which was lucky for me since I can't afford the two week turnaround. I should be putting it in next week. The only real question now is whether I should send the old part back to them or keep it. Sounds like I probably don't need to retain the core, one less part I need to inventory

Quick Reply: 944 3 Piece Cross Member