Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch firmness?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 02:11 AM
fressssssh
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch firmness?

So when I went out for a ride in my car, as I was driving I quickly noticed that my clutch had lost some of its firmness. It felt really ackward. So my question is this, is my clutch going bad, or could it be something else? Also how much would it cost to get a new one(with me doing the install)?
Old 02-04-2011, 02:21 AM
DHC6
Racer

Just out of curiosity how hard did you drive the car before it felt different? Did you do any hard launches? If so has it been a while since you gave a hard run? It's possible you may have just "glazed" your clutch, if this is the case some regular driving will cure your problem. Some times a few good heat cycles and hard driving can cause some glazing and make it really feel bad until you brake/ware off the glaze.

How about slipping? Does your clutch slip at all in 5th when you try to accelerate? If it is, then yes your clutch is on it's way out the door, as for cost and time unfortunately I can't help you out on that one, haven't done one yet on my car, but I have herd it's not a pleasant process...
Old 02-04-2011, 03:19 AM
76 911s
Racer

Maybe a master or slave on its way out?
Old 02-04-2011, 06:14 AM
fressssssh
Instructor

Well I was driving somewhat hard earlier in the day so hopefully it goes back to normal after awhile. Also it hasn't been slipping at all going into any gears. But now I've noticed another problem, while I was parked with the car idling I noticed that the temp guage was at the 3rd line up before the red. I took it home asap and noticed while I was driving that the temp was normal again. As soon as I pulled into the driveway and the car was idling the temp rose back up again. What could this be.? I popped the hood and noticed that one of the hoses(coming from the coolant tank) was hissing after I shut off the car. All this stuff is just amazing honestly, I've had little to no problems with this car until now. I don't get it. Any help or advice appreciated.

P.S: over the last week or so all of my coolant has been draining out of the car every other drive. Only while driving also. It will be there one second then all over the ground the next. Could that have anything to do with the hissing and high temp? And has anyone had a similar problem?
Old 02-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 123 Posts

Boiling and dumping coolant after shutdown is usually caused by a bad pressure cap on the coolant tank. It can also be caused by a blown head gasket but hopefully it is the cap. Much cheaper.

If the coolant is not changed the head gaskets can erode from corrosion and fail. It's best to stay on top of that.

As for the clutch, it could be a failing clutch hose or a problem with the master or slave. It's not good to drive with the clutch not working 100%, you can beat up the trans quite a bit that way.

You could also be low on brake fluid, the clutch is the first thing to suffer from the lack of brake fluid as it shares the brake fluid reservoir. Brake fluid should also be regularly changed out to prevent expensive problems with sticking, corroded brake calipers and the like.

It's a 25 year old car, hopefully you are keeping up on all the basic maintenance or it'll get real expensive. Heck it's pretty expensive even if you stave off the silly problems caused by neglect.

-Joel.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:44 AM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Are your cooling fans kicking in? If you are idling and the temp hits the second line the fans should kick in to cool things down. At least that is what happens on my s2

Quick Reply: clutch firmness?