Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No left low-beam...only high? New lamp...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 04:47 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No left low-beam...only high? New lamp...

I just replaced my left headlight and it's doing exactly what the original was....only the high-beam works. The right functions on both...could this be a connection issue? It's super cold out so I'm not really into trouble shooting out there.

Thanks...
Old 01-15-2011, 05:15 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

So..it looks like I keep blowing fuse #22. The low beam comes on for about 15 seconds. What would cause this to keep happening?
Old 01-15-2011, 05:24 PM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Had a similar problem for months after I first bought my 944. Searched and searched for weeks and couldn't figure out what was the problem. Took it to a friend who is a mechanical genius and he found it in about 5 minutes. There was a short just behind the light in one of the wires. Check down behind the light and make sure its not shorting out on another wire or something. That would also explain the blowing fuse. If that is the problem, throw some electrical tape on it and roll.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:26 PM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

There are separate fuses for high/low beams left and right. 20, 21, 22, & 23. Seems like you may have a short in that part of the harness.

edit: seems sweetskillsrk types faster than I do.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:29 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Whats the best way to get access to the harness?
Old 01-15-2011, 05:36 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a broken wire in the loom right by the headlight. It moves every time the headlight goes up or down, so it's not surprising that it would wear the wires out. In my case, poking the wire bundle just below where it went into the headlight bucket caused the low beam to come on.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:40 PM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

+1
Yeah, its mostly likely gonna be right behind the light. Just look around back there and you should be able to find it pretty quickly. Either a wire is straight up broken or the insulation has worn off the wire and its shorting with something. Should be pretty easy to find.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:50 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Thanks....If I do need to splice in a wire, what is the best method? What type of wire should I buy and would heat-shrink/silicone be sufficient? I dont have much extra play...can the connector be pulled out through the back of the headlight cage for more access?
Old 01-15-2011, 06:12 PM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Yeah, that shrink stuff should be ok. Either that or the crimp wire connectors would work too. And then I'd probably wrap a little electrical tape on there too after everything is patched up. As far as the connector, I'm not sure. I didn't have to go that far with mine, so I don't know, but I'm sure there's a way to temporarily disconnect it from the headlight bracket. If not, just splice it the best you can I guess.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:39 PM
zedsn
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There should be a sheathing covering all the wires if memory serves me right. I split the sheathing with a razer blade and had a couple of cut wires at the bend in the wire where the light goes up and down. I just used a couple of butt connectors and was good to go.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:56 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Just thought I'd report back as today was warm enough to look into the wiring. I cut the rubber sheath on the bottom section ...sure enough there was an area where the bare wire was exposed and touching each other. It was strange as there was no visible wear on the outer sheath. Patched it up and have low-beams again....
Old 02-18-2011, 10:00 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOp
Just thought I'd report back as today was warm enough to look into the wiring. I cut the rubber sheath on the bottom section ...sure enough there was an area where the bare wire was exposed and touching each other. It was strange as there was no visible wear on the outer sheath. Patched it up and have low-beams again....
Sounds about right. Apart from door wiring, hardly anything else in the car has to bend and bend back anywhere near as often as those do. Add to that the fact that they carry a lot of current, and it's not surprising that they fail. At least they're easy to reach!
Old 02-18-2011, 10:08 PM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gotta check mine this weekend. Last weekend when I drove it, the lights didn't want to pop up. After cussing and flipping the headlight switch a lot I finally got them to go up so I could go home.

Quick Reply: No left low-beam...only high? New lamp...