Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 passenger side seat mounting bracket...#$^%$$#^% impossible to get off. HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 04:27 AM
Vagus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 944 passenger side seat mounting bracket...#$^%$$#^% impossible to get off. HELP!!!

Hi everybody

I'm in the process of changing my carpets and I'm taking out my seats to do so. The passenger side bracket seams to have been replaced with a shorter length bracket. It now seams to make it seamingly impossible to access the bolts with an allen wrench. There is just no clearance between the bottom of the seat and the bolt head. I have tried going through the crack of the seat but it doesn't appear to line up.

The seat was put on somehow. I just have no idea how they did this. Is there a way to take the seat off the bracket or sliders?

I've thought about cutting but I think that would be very improbbable as well.

Somebody I'm hoping has some experience with these shortened seat brackets. Please Help

thank you

Dan
Old 05-04-2003, 09:23 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Dan

Don't know about shortened brackets...but when I changed out my seats I had two problems...first there was a dime stuck in the passenger side rail...it was preventing the seat from sliding far enough forward to get the back hold-down bolts out...cleared the dime and no problems!

Second 'issue' was that if you took out three of the 4 bolts and then had to slide the seat a little more to get at the 4th...the slide mechanism would 'rack' and get stuck...so I loosened all four before removing any of them.

Good luck!

Joe
Old 05-04-2003, 12:02 PM
Vagus
Intermediate

I unfortunatly have something a lot larger than a dime obstructing the brackets....the friggen whole entire seat!! Whoever designed this silly bracket can kiss my ***.

Thanks for the reply. Any more help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-04-2003, 02:09 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had to get ball tip allen sockets. Piece of cake then.
Old 05-04-2003, 03:15 PM
xcessiv
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Triscadek is on the case. Crack the front first, only loosen them about a half turn, then slide the seat the whole way forward, remove the back bolts, then slide the seat back and remove the front. Be careful because the nut plates are kind of soft and can strip. Then you have work to do, and it may involve welding. I have actually replaced the allen head bolts with cheesehead phillips on the 924 because it is easier to get to, but this also involves buying a good phillips head socket. Good luck.
Old 05-04-2003, 03:52 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by triscadek:
<strong>I had to get ball tip allen sockets. Piece of cake then.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I agree. When I was putting in my Corbeau, the ball tib worked like magic.
Old 05-04-2003, 09:52 PM
Vagus
Intermediate

I honestly think that I will be taking a #%$^# sawzall to it. I stripped one of the allen bolts already.

What is a ball tip allen socket? I couldn't find a picture on the web. What is differnt about them and how is it going to get into the space? I have about 3/4 in. to 1" clearance to stick something. I can reach the most posterior bolt but then there is still one more that lies 1 in anterior. I'm going to cut one of my allen wrenchs to see if that will fit.

Tiscadek: Which way did you approach the bolts? From the rear? And do you have these shortened brackets?

Thanks again
Old 05-05-2003, 01:58 AM
Porscheaddiction
Advanced

Shortened brackets? how can that be the brackets are matched to the floor....if you had shorter brackets you would have to have different mounting locations then the car was inteneded to have....Yes they can be tricky to remove take your time and try the some of the suggestions from the others....Patience....you will get it.
Chris.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:03 AM
W88951
Burning Brakes

I recently had to remove a seat for a customer that was installed incorrectly. The seat would not slide forward far enough to enable me to remove the rear bolts in the floor. I had to remove the seat from the mounting rail first. It is a tight fit, but possible. There are a total of six bolts holding the seat to the mounting rail. Four in the back, and two in the front.

One tool that really helps is a Midget Ratchet Kit made by The Chapman MFG Co. The part number is 2307. A friend of gave me mine, so I am not sure where you can purchase one. I will try and post a link to a picture later today.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:34 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A ball tip allen is essentially like any other allen but the shaft is machined (just back from the tip). This creates what looks like a ball at the end of the allen wrench. You insert the ball into the socket head of the bolt. Because of the machining you can angle the wrench over a few degrees rather than having to address the socket head from directly above. Kinda like an integrated universal joint.

The carpet change is what really caught my eye though. I'm looking at doing this also and would like to hear lessons learned...Bruce
Old 05-05-2003, 11:56 AM
W88951
Burning Brakes

Here is a link to a picture of the Ratchet I use on seats.

<a href="http://www.4113pittsburg.com/midgetratchet.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.4113pittsburg.com/midgetratchet.jpg</a>

Since I started using it, I never want to work on another seat without it.
Old 05-13-2003, 12:34 PM
alkemyst
Advanced

Sears sells the ball end wrenches: part number 46754 and 46755 (standard and metric respectively).

T-Handled by SK at sears 44997, 44998, 44991 (standard, metric, torx)

Old 05-13-2003, 01:39 PM
xcessiv
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W88951, that is SWEET!
Old 05-13-2003, 01:46 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just took out my passenger seat yesterday, to vacuum under; what I did discover that made it a little difficult to me is that I needed to use a MORE NARROW width socket than usual, and I loosed the fronts first, then the rears.

I then went back to the fronts and removed them, then the two rear bolts.

I think it's the width of the socket tossing you possibly. I used the craftsman set mentioned above, with a midget rachet.

You also might need to spray something on the bolts first, to loosen them up, like WD-40.

Good luck!

- Julie

Quick Reply: 944 passenger side seat mounting bracket...#$^%$$#^% impossible to get off. HELP!!!