Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropping trans to get to leaky gas tank, what else should i do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dropping trans to get to leaky gas tank, what else should i do?

So I'm going to be dropping the transaxle in search of a leak that happens when the car is filled up. Im expecting a crack in the tank per a thread at pelican. However, i'm wondering what else i should be looking at replacing while i have it out.

Any thoughts?

The clutch has crossed my mind (it chatters after a day of auto-x), also I am getting new tranny mounts. Anyone use the fancy blue aluminum/rubber ones from pelican?
Old 01-10-2011, 01:52 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 654 Likes on 508 Posts

does the gas leak out the drivers side, while on an incline with the passenger side higher?
Old 01-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
does the gas leak out the drivers side, while on an incline with the passenger side higher?
Dumps out the passenger side on an incline (nose high or tail high), it was super full (after a 15gal fill up). It may be the filler neck but either way i need to drop the tank and see whats up.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:59 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Replace all vacuum/gas hoses on top of tank. Get new clamps--non perforated screw type or fuel injection clamps.

Be careful of the plastic fuel vent receptor on top of the tank. If you have the tank repairded, make sure the plastic and hoses can still be positioned in the tank groove.

Get some Permatex black rubber sealer for the gas tank fill tube cover to seal out vapors. Use the rest on your tail lights to keep out moisture.

Repack the 4--yes, all 4 CV joints.

It is a good time to change the fuel filter--&--Tank to fuel pump hose---&---THE BIG ONE---the fuel tank screen filter in the tank. ($45-$50). You have to remove it to get the tank fixed anyway.

Do not strip the TT torque tube to transaxle coupler bolts. Get an expensive metric hex.

GL
John
Old 01-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's still a fair amount of work left to get to the clutch. I wouldn't do it unless I suspected it was bad (or I knew it had a lot of miles).
Old 01-10-2011, 09:39 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mike C.
There's still a fair amount of work left to get to the clutch. I wouldn't do it unless I suspected it was bad (or I knew it had a lot of miles).
Its still good, i just dunno when it was done. I was looking at the clarks write up and your quite right. Much more work, so i think im going to let it be for now and concentrate on the rear of the car.

Quick Reply: Dropping trans to get to leaky gas tank, what else should i do?