Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tollbox organization and liner...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 01:15 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 499 Posts

have a huge red toolbox at home with labeled drawers for various types of tools, wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, sockets etc, and then in metric and sae...

portable toolbox, all i need is a few big ziploc bags, one for wrenches, one for ratchet wrenches, one for sockets, screwdrivers go in the tray...other misc stuff just fits in nicely.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:12 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, also if anyone wonders how I did it I basically stole this idea.

http://toolmonger.com/2007/01/07/rea...it-organizers/

Also, if you do it I used an exacto knife to cut it out and had pretty good luck.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:35 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishey
Oh, also if anyone wonders how I did it I basically stole this idea.

http://toolmonger.com/2007/01/07/rea...it-organizers/

Also, if you do it I used an exacto knife to cut it out and had pretty good luck.
Jeez, you have to be seriously OCD to go to that extreme. 3 hours for one drawer?? It would take me 2 weeks and I'd have to buy another toolbox because you can fit about half the stuff in a drawer when you lay it all out like that.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:53 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by choinga
Jeez, you have to be seriously OCD to go to that extreme. 3 hours for one drawer?? It would take me 2 weeks and I'd have to buy another toolbox because you can fit about half the stuff in a drawer when you lay it all out like that.
Yes, but you do it once and done.

I did something similar to my box and it was the best thing I ever did. I carry my tools around alot and hated hearing the rattling around of them. I also did not like getting them lost. So those shape keep them from bouncing around and I can instantly tell if I am missing a tool. I have tools and my father has tools. I work on my race at at his house due to space and always bring my tool box. Why? 'Cause I can't find any of his tools. They are scattered all over. I find my tools in seconds and when done with a job I wipe each tool down to get the major grease off and put them away. It then becomes easy to make sure I am going home with all of my tools and not losing them in his piles of tools. Spending time organizing tools like that pays off when you are working since you know where they are and know instantly when they are not there. It does take up more space, but quite frankly once you do enough work you know which tools you use alot and which you dont.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:43 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Ernst wrench racks and mechanic time savers socket racks. I have tried every socket rack out there and they are all suck for what you pay for IMHO. These have a magnetic base which also hold the socket it (strong enough to hold through the liner material) They are solid as heck, and if you need to, you can just grab the rack out of your box and haul it where ever you need to do your wrenching. Won't tip over, yada yada. Downside is they are not cheap, though there are a couple of websites that sell them cheaper than others. Best addition I ever made to my box. I buy blue for standard sockets, and red for metric. And if anyone knows where I left my 16mm socket, that would be great, lol. I am trying to figure out how many I need for my 1/2" drive stuff as I have a huge selection of those and am tired with the current system I have. That isn't going to be cheap, lol.

They racks don't have sizes marked on them, but you could easily do so with a permanent marker. I find that I know exactly what socket should be in what slot, so it really isn't necessary.

The wrench racks, I have taped to the drawer with 3m VHB tape. You cut the racks to size and they were super cheap. In the rest of my drawers I use the liner roll that someone listed at the beginning. Cheap and effective, though I did drill a couple of holes in the drawer bottoms so I could secure the liner with fender washers and bolts to keep the stuff from shifting when you closed the drawer (my drawers are ball bearing, so I pretty much just slam them shut with a good push....it's all about ball bearings these days, lol).

I like the solution of the foam cutaways for pliers, I think I am going to try that. I have been looking for a solution for that drawer for a long time now.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by choinga
Took me about 3hour total.

However, I must say with a roll around box you better keep them in place or else when you open it. Well, your stuff can shift into one giant pile in the corner of the box. Also just opening/closing a drawer as I do "in a hurry" as I hustle getting tools/putting them back can cause stuff to shift unwanted in the box.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:36 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

My tool collection is too "dynamic" for specific cut-outs like that. I ended up getting the rubbery-mesh stuff at Sears (on sale this weekend)...

Quick Reply: Tollbox organization and liner...