Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Wuring sound?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Cochezz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Wuring sound?

I've been going thur this 944 I bought making everthing A1, never really drove it since I bought it so please excuss this question.

Just finished putting a new water pump and timing belt, all new pulleys, rebuilt PS pump. Ran the engine last night, has what I would call a wuring noise, not a wining noise.

I'm not sure if mine did or not before becuase of the PS pump, now that the pump is quiet I can hear it.

Any thoughts? i'm going to disconect the PS pump, AC and alternator tonight and run it just to eliminate those possiblities. Just looking for some sugestions on things to look for.

OR is this NORMAL? Do 944's engines make a odd noise becuase of the balance shafts spinning at 2x the engine rpm?

ALSO, what should the timing belt be set to with the Kricket too???
I did it by feel, 90 deg thumb and finger turn. It measured around 45 lbs, but I found as I turned the motor to different points the belt got tighter and loser? ODD, its one of those Gates racing belts.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:15 PM
AScholtes
Pro

Timing or balance shaft belt. Could be too tight, but I have read from others that they can do this under proper tension as well.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:17 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

the balance belt will make a whiny noise rather than a whirry noise. its pretty high pitched unless the belt is way loose. the proper tension for the balance belt means you should be able to do the twist method but go nearly 180*. it seems loose but thats how it likes to be. i like to overdo things and tightened it more than that once and a few months later had a balance belt with half the teeth missing from one side.

the 90 degree twist method works on the standard rubber belts, but it sounds like you have one of the fancy kevlar belts. dont know how stiff those are compared to the standard belt. if it loosens and tightens though, somewhere along the belt path it is not set properly. it may be skipping a tooth on the tensioner gear or the crank gear or something. recheck that it is properly seated on all the gears
Old 01-03-2011, 01:21 PM
AScholtes
Pro

Kricket tool:
http://www.rennbay.com/belttutorial.html
Old 01-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Cochezz
Instructor

GOOD CALL, you guys rock. I set the balance shaft belt to tight.

Its says right in the Rennbay article,

"I've found that it should be no higher than 28 pounds else there is a distinct (and irritating) belt whine."

I'll bet that is it, I'll reset the balance shaft belt tension like V2 Rocket says, 180 deg twist and check with the Kricket.

And duble check the cam belt again aswell.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:53 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even some properly tensioned belts will whir / whine.. it may or may not go away with time...

The Draggon something lemons car was Peoples cursed because of belt whine being called a supercharger... the engine was destroyed because of balance shaft belt whine.. car has been returned to service..

point being, some whine, some dont, if it is quiet enough that the PS pump hid the noise, I would reconnect the PS pump and enjoy driving the car!
Old 01-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Cochezz
Instructor

"The Draggon something lemons car was Peoples cursed because of belt whine being called a supercharger... the engine was destroyed because of balance shaft belt whine.. car has been returned to service"

Please Clarify.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:13 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Cochezz, did it sound like this? is this sound coming from the BS belt? it definitely more of a whurring, like you described, not a whining. i think this engine also has a bad lifter or two, which can be heard at about 25 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QclMJdrDmWc
Old 01-03-2011, 06:08 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

read about the Dragon Somethin' team in our blog- bottom of my signature.

Quick Reply: Engine Wuring sound?