Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choice of wastegate - Tial vs LR

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 04:33 AM
drsimon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Choice of wastegate - Tial vs LR

I want to replace the stock wastegate of my 951S due to its notorious leakage at low boost levels. I want the new wastegate to be bolt-on without any alteration to the stock exhaust system. Also I do not intend to manipulate boost, so have no need for a boost controller. I like the Lindsey wastegate from what I have read, but it requires a boost controller. SFR has a Tial 35mm wastegate which is bolt-on, with an adapter. I think it should work with the LBE (which is already on the way from Paragon) without the need for an additional boost controller. It is also cheaper and does not require a core charge like the LR wastegate. Anyone has any experience with the Tial? I would certainly appreciate your comments on its performance and quality.
Old 03-21-2002, 12:01 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
From my understanding (and I could easily be wrong), is that both are dual-port wastegates unlike the factory wastegate, so you may need a mbc or a ebc regardless of the one you choose. Ive heard nothing but great things about the Tial, and Ive heard equally good things about the LR wastegate. I think Im gonna go with the Tial in the end though..a well-proven product at an affordable price. From my understanding both are exceptional products and far superior to the factory 'gate.
Old 03-21-2002, 12:58 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It doesn't matter what boost level you're running (stock or otherwise), if you replace the wastegate, you're going to need an aftermarket boost-controller...

Or are you after more performance? Are you having boost problems? As a test, clamp shut the control line going to your wastegate from the cycling-valve. Then gently do a couple of runs with increasing throttle and watch your boost gauge. This test will tell you whether your wastegate is a problem.
Old 03-21-2002, 01:57 PM
drsimon
Intermediate

I'm replacing the stock wastegate to get more performance rather than because it is giving problems. Looks like I need to get a boost controller after reading your posts (thanks, guys!) so far. I'll probably go for a manual rather than an electronic BC. Can the LBE still be used on the Tial-with-MBC setup or will it be redundant?
Old 03-21-2002, 02:42 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the LRBE manipulates the Cyclic valve. With a Dual port wg you must disconnect all cyclic valve lines. So no. the LRBE cannot be used with any dual port wg. MBC are easy to install and cheaper than that LRBE you can pawn off

and then you can give your cyclic valve to tt9714
Old 03-21-2002, 04:30 PM
eugene
Racer

drsimon.

I replaced mine with the LR waste gate along with the MBC. The unit is a modified stock unit so it is a 100% bolt on.

LBE is not needed. You would also disconnect the cycling valve. All the instructions comes with it.
LR also has the step by step waste gate installation along with pictures on their website.

Good luck with whichever you choose.

Eugene.
Old 03-21-2002, 04:58 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The LBE actually is a boost-controller in its own right. Just not convenient to use because it's under the hood, but you really only need to set it once. Follow the instructions (you'll need a vacuum T) and you should be fine.
Old 03-21-2002, 05:30 PM
Doc
Racer

Danno... I could be wrong, however as the others said, if you got with any dual port waste gate, teh LBE must be removed. Frankly the maunual boost controller which comes with just about *any* aftermarket waste gate is actually used for welding regulator, you can go to just about any welding shop and pick one up for around $15, as long as you tell them what specs you need... there are many available, only one will work properly. It's still much cheaper the the LBE.

For the record, I had an LBE before I got my Lindsey dual port waste gate. I think they're great if you don't intend to change the waste gate.

As for the Tail, I was of the impression it was much more expensive and required an exqually expensive adapter. Perhaps the prices have gone down.

Lastly, I have a friend who went with the Tail and had quite a bit of work getting it in, as opposed to the my Lindsey.

Good luck with which ever you choose, I know you'll be happier than with the stock.

P.S. the engine hoist loop on the back on the valve cover next to the firewall makes for a perfect spot to mount the boost ****. No cutting or anything else necessary and once you set it, that's it, no worries.
Old 03-21-2002, 05:44 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The LRBE is a bleed valve. You can fabricate a similar one or modify you're LRBE to work with a dp wg.

THe MBC is the same thing as the LRBE (basically) by turning the **** on the MBC you are adding tension to a spring setup (not unlike the LRBE)

It would be a pain in the tush to get the correct 3mm ID lines to run with the LRBE though.

the MBC from LR is only $60. I also bought LR's guage panel and mounted the controll **** right next to my boost guage (both in the panel) under the cd player
Old 03-21-2002, 06:11 PM
Nicolas
Instructor

Wink

Hi guys !

The boost enhancer is not a bleed valve it is a pneumatic adjustable check valve commonly known as a SWAGELOCK valve...

A bleed valve bleed air until a preset pressure where it opens more .
The check valve remains closed until desired pressure comes and make it flow the air untill the pressure comes down to a lower number to make it close again (3-4 Psi less than cracking pressure).

This is the best bang for the buck if you have a stock car with no adjustement of mixture...

That is why LRBE is preset 10-11 Psi.

Quick Reply: Choice of wastegate - Tial vs LR