Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any aero upgrades for 944 NA worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 04:00 PM
alan t
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any aero upgrades for 944 NA worth it?

So I'm thinking about the upcoming season for track days/DE's, even though it's the middle of winter . My NA has so little power, I was wondering if 968 mirrors, a front spoiler, 951 rear valance, rear spoiler, or anything else will make a big enough difference to actually FEEL on the track. I think the likely answer is NO, but curious to see if anybody has any good suggestions or stories. I understand a powerful, high-speed race car is different than my underpowered 944. Oh, and I'm not putting an oversized banana wing on my car that would be silly
Old 12-20-2010, 04:04 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

nothing you listed will noticeable by feel. Now lap times might show something different, but the differece will be small.

In fact the only thing that you could feel would be giant wing and splitter.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:51 PM
mattipuh
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

intresting topic. Does factory Turbo S splitter show any benefits, or should we go directly something more gigantic?
Old 12-20-2010, 05:02 PM
alan t
Instructor

That's what I figured, and would prefer to spend money only on upgrades that will make a noticable difference. The next paragraph could be several different threads, but Joe you seem to know what you're talking about, so I'm just going to ask what you think.

Here's what's been done so far without getting too specific: basic weight reduction with front and rear fiberglass bumpers, corbeau fx-1 seats, and the back seat removed. The suspension is Koni A-1 coilover kit and upgraded sway bars. No brake upgrades done except for fluid. I believe I've read that more aggressive pads alone should help. I have aggressive street tires on stock 15 inchers. At this point would the best "bang for your buck" for speed be track tires, pads, and quality seat time with a good instructor? Maybe a more aggressive alignment? Joe, would you or anyone agree?
Old 12-20-2010, 06:42 PM
Kerry Chadderton
Racer

I'm listening too!

Alan, I hope to see you out at some of the regional track days/DE's! I'm new to the 944, but ready to go!!!
Old 12-20-2010, 06:45 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

How much track experience do you have?
Old 12-20-2010, 07:05 PM
alan t
Instructor

Not much at all in a car, and no plans of racing anytime soon. My DE's with the SCCA are just for fun. Virtually all of my track days have been on my motorbike, and I was planning evening things out this year with the 944. Hey Kerry, we'll should find out what days we'll both be out this spring and summer!
Old 12-20-2010, 07:05 PM
alan t
Instructor

*we should*
Old 12-20-2010, 07:06 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by Lemming
How much track experience do you have?
This is the question that need to be answered. You are leaving a lot the table, but we need to know more to help. Aero is not the answer that is for sure.

Given the limited experince seat time with a good instructor. After that you need to determine how far you want to push the car. You can get into alignment, spring rates and tires. I would guess with that and seat time you can see gains 5-6 seconds even on short 1.5 mile track.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:33 PM
Kerry Chadderton
Racer

John and Tim are right. Seat time! However....and Alan I don't want to hijack your thread here...What would you guys recommend to Alan and I regarding car prep for a DE? A check list maybe? I, for one, am new to the 944. Are stock brake pads going to melt after 2-3 laps? If so, what do you suggest? Any other things that we should keep in mind?

Alan, I'll get in touch with you when we get closer to the season. I've been talking to the DC chapter SCCA and schedules should come out in January!
Old 12-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

The most important thing at this stage is just track time. However, I put braking as not just a performance update, but as a safety upgrade. I would suggest flushing your brake system with at least ATE and get a decent set of brake pads (Hawk HT10 or 14's would be an option). You should also check the rotors to make sure that they are in good condition. A moderate track alignment would also be a good idea.

At this point, invest in safety and seat time!
Old 12-20-2010, 07:54 PM
M758
Race Director

First thing for a DE is making sure the car is running soundly. No major leaks, decient tires, competant suspension. If the car is not working well you will fine out fast at the track and it can end your day.

Brake pads are hit or miss. Some are bad, but others may be decient all ready. You can over work a typical street pad, but that takes some experience to really push it.

Once you get it running soundly then things like alignment, tires, spring, sway bars, and interior weight make a difference. How far you go depends on how track oreinted you want the car to be. The other big factor is experience. I first tracked my 944 NA back 2001. By then I had 5-6 DE's under my belt in my stock 944 turbo and had a couple seasons of autocross. I ran a best time of 1:20 at PIR which is my home track. Last time I out I ran a 1:12.9 at PIR and 1:13.3 in racing conditions. My 1:20 was with R-tires, stripped interior, and moderate suspension work. The last times I ran with a bit more spring rate, a more precise alignment and alot more skill. Now it did not take me 10 year to get there as in 2002 I turned a 1:16, in 2003 a 1:15 and in 2004 a 1:12.9. The last 6 years have been mainting that speed which is in fact quite hard.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:55 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All of the above information is FAR more important than this, but since you asked:

My little experience with front aero-

Before:
NJMP Lightning, entering turn 1 with the front end feeling light at around 110mph.

After:
NJMP Lightning again, added euro mk3 front lip (VW part, no longer on my car) and noticed a considerable difference in front grip entering T1.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:42 AM
mattipuh
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what comes in the original question, I'd say that N/A benefits more of good aero than hp-monster Turbo's, because lack of hp -> needs to make speed in corners.
Most important here is the driver, but getting the car setup right is at least important aswell.

one problem with this modding is that you start having many variables which you should then be able to tune in best spec with your driving style.

found one splitter which is nice btw.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

I've been experimenting with front and rear aero for the last few years on the track. I too had the problem with Franky I that I would get front end lift at 120+, making T9 at Road Atlanta scary as hell. My solution was to add a front splitter before the next trip to RA. Added it and came screaming through T9, the good news is that the front end was planted, the bad news, the *** end was all over the place. Not only was it loose in T9 but it was loose through most turns (T1, esses, T6, T12) and could not be dialed out with suspension tuning. Killed my times that weekend for sure and in the end had to add a rear wing to balance the car (that worked great). However, the moral of the story is, if you make changes at one end, you likely will have to balance it at the other.

If you want to make you car more aerodynamic, pull those billboards that Porsche calls side view mirrors and install a good convex mirror on the windshield and one on the drivers side cage. Tape over any gaps in the front end as well. Now you will slip through the air down the straight with less drag.

Still, I think the best thing the OP can do is pay for seat time and instruction at this point.

Quick Reply: Any aero upgrades for 944 NA worth it?