Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Home-built short shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 06:15 PM
Kerry Chadderton
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike C.- 60645K131 - Small Heim Qty-2, 60645K361 - Large Heim Qty-1

The large joint has to be filled, machined and tapped to make it work. That's what I believe the other guys were doing too. Otherwise a custom joint has to be built and that just negates keeping the price down.

As for the rest of you. I promise to give a report of the outcome on this thread. We can go from there.

Any and all suggested improvements are welcome!
Old 12-20-2010, 06:53 PM
Kerry Chadderton
Racer

UPDATE: Finished the clutch job today. Put about 100 miles on it. The shifter is nice and crisp! I still have it set at stock throw. I have Christmas stuff to do. The little woman says no more Porsche until I play Christmas for a while. I'll update after the new year.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:29 AM
DLS
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Very nice built
I´m also thinking of building my own short shift or if i should try the cheap ebay kit.
I know the cheap ebay kit had broken for some but maybe i can reinforce it before installed.
It would save me alot of time

A question
Is it any difference using a large male rod end(some call it uniball i think) instead of a female
It should also fit i think, maybe easier then grind and tap the female?
Old 01-20-2011, 07:53 AM
Kerry Chadderton
Racer

Thank you. I'm at around 1,000 miles on it and all is well. No loosening or adjustment needed thus far. If you like building things go for it. It was not hard, but was more time consuming than I intially expected. It would be nearly impossible to build unless you have a transaxle out of a car to test fit on. Well, I take that back, but be prepared to put it on and take it off a dozen times to fine tune your machine work.

To be honest I never considered the male rod-end. I just went by pictures and all the others had it. Hmmm, It might be worth considering.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:54 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kerry Chadderton
Thank you. I'm at around 1,000 miles on it and all is well. No loosening or adjustment needed thus far. If you like building things go for it. It was not hard, but was more time consuming than I intially expected. It would be nearly impossible to build unless you have a transaxle out of a car to test fit on. Well, I take that back, but be prepared to put it on and take it off a dozen times to fine tune your machine work.

To be honest I never considered the male rod-end. I just went by pictures and all the others had it. Hmmm, It might be worth considering.
Very tempting mod. So you have now tried it set to the 30% shorter throw?

michael
Old 01-21-2011, 08:22 AM
Kerry Chadderton
Racer

No Michael, I haven't. I put about a thousand miles on it. Went on one decent shake-down trip (500 miles) with it and when I got home business went through the roof. That was about three weeks ago. In a week or so she going up on jack stands for the re-torque and touch-up. I'll switch to 30% then and have another go.

I'll post progress!
Old 01-21-2011, 09:48 AM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

No Michael, I haven't. I put about a thousand miles on it. Went on one decent shake-down trip (500 miles) with it and when I got home business went through the roof. That was about three weeks ago. In a week or so she going up on jack stands for the re-torque and touch-up. I'll switch to 30% then and have another go.

I'll post progress!
Thread subscribed to. But while I wait I think I am going to go ahead and order the fittings. I have an extra tranny in my parts car I can drop out and use for test fittings. Great job!

michael
Old 01-21-2011, 12:00 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Placed an order with Mc-Carr. Decided to try a male threaded large rod end.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/1173/=aorhlm

Will probable try this out after March when I return from Barber.

michael
Old 01-21-2011, 03:51 PM
Funn944
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those type of short shifters are actually very easy to build. Rod ends (Heim joints) are widely available, ( Lowe's, Orchard Supply Hardware....) I've had one for at least 6 years on mine, not teflon lined and has never been a problem. Locktight (maybe even safety wired) on all threaded parts is highly advised
Old 01-21-2011, 03:57 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

nice, shortshift

I am going to do something on the other side of shift rod. I have never seen any 944 with tight link to shifter handle, so I am going to do something on that, probably cut it off and mount a real bearing with bolt and nut.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:53 AM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

I'll post progress!
Kerry,

Gonna work on this starting this weekend I hope. Did you ever get a chance to try the 30% setting? Additional thoughts onthe construction?

michael

Quick Reply: Home-built short shift kit