Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - Clutch guru's needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 08:56 PM
CorsePerVita
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the part number for the pressure plate?
Old 12-05-2010, 09:05 PM
J1720
Rennlist Member

Sachs # SC298 944 116 023 01
Old 12-05-2010, 09:15 PM
CorsePerVita
Pro

Alright, and not an S2 or anything, just an N/A. So that is correct. And the bolts, did they also have a part #? Unless you got the ones that are too short.

http://944online.com/cgi-bin/ASI_Sto...y_1193148276++ Is this the flywheel you have?

(edit) probably this one
http://944online.com/cgi-bin/ASI_Sto...42+clutch-9442
Old 12-05-2010, 09:20 PM
CorsePerVita
Pro

It almost sounds like the wrong bolts got sent or something. It sounds from looking at the pictures of the flywheel, and the pressure plate, if it's all fitting correctly, then they may have sent the wrong bolts. they'd have a part # as well. but if you have a picture of it all in place it would help too. The alternative would be to see if the OLD hardware is the same length and if it does not fit as well. The disc should not leave enough gap that the bolts don't line up. I'd definitely check the part # for the bolts, IIRC some were shorter than others.

The other possibilities would be hole depth as kerry had mentioned, however, since it's the correct PP it shouldn't be an issue /if/ all the mounting hardware is 100% correct. Other issue would be if the ring gear was not lining up or going down all the way causing a significant gap. But it's pretty cut and dry.

Last edited by CorsePerVita; 12-05-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:46 PM
J1720
Rennlist Member

It looks like that flywheel. But it's the on that was on the engine. The new bolts are the same size as the old ones. I wonder if the is a after market flywheel and I'm using the wron PP?
Old 12-05-2010, 10:38 PM
CorsePerVita
Pro

Or someone fit an entirely different PP/Flywheel/Clutch on it previously.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:42 PM
CorsePerVita
Pro

He just pm'd me (we bounced a few pms) turns out it's a turbo flywheel (explains no stepping) and why the gap is so extremely large. So someone did end up putting a different flywheel/pp/etc on it.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:58 PM
pa944red
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CorsePerVita
He just pm'd me (we bounced a few pms) turns out it's a turbo flywheel (explains no stepping) and why the gap is so extremely large. So someone did end up putting a different flywheel/pp/etc on it.
Just to clarify, turbo flywheels are not stepped? I asked because I am 99.99% the one on my 86 was stepped.
Tom
Old 12-06-2010, 02:01 AM
CorsePerVita
Pro

Originally Posted by pa944red
Just to clarify, turbo flywheels are not stepped? I asked because I am 99.99% the one on my 86 was stepped.
Tom
Yeah definitely not disputing that. I am not one to start making guesses and such, I can only give advice based off of things I can piece together, or have worked on. So for me to say "no" or "yes" on that would be only a guess, and potential misinformation since I do not know (just being honest).

In this case, the part numbers he has listed off vs the flywheel he has aren't going to work. Mine is a stepped flywheel (sounds like yours is too), however, he said he looked it up and it was a turbo flywheel (again, either way, not stepped). Again, I'm not familiar with those, I can only tell you what I've worked on.

But what I can tell you is that if you take measurements on the italian disc and how it sits on the friction surface, vs adding the pressure plate on top you'll get a small gap. That's normal due to the space of it. If you raised that friction material up, flush with where the pressure plate sits, there's no way it would fit, and that's what he is seeing. He described it as around 1/2" gap which is huge. So it sounds like someone swapped flywheels, or something else got swapped.

However, without part numbers of the previous pressure plate, disc, etc etc, about the only thing I can recommend is to describe his flywheel, list part #s and give the guys at 944online (whom he bought it from) a call to see if they recommend a different PP, or flywheel, etc.

Either way, that PP isn't intended for that flywheel. There's no way the disc would sit on the friction material and the PP sit flush.

Here's my flywheel

He's describing this

If you take a look at the gap on a stepped flywheel with the PP and clutch this is what you'd see

If you take the step away (flush with the disc), I can see why he's getting the extraordinary gap. At first I was confused but once he described what he's using, it made more sense to me.

Hope that helps explain a little better. Again, I'm only going off of what I know. If someone else has better info, or a more clear designation as to exactly which flywheel he is using I am always into learning more (especially since I just work on the early stuff, I'm open to learning about them all!)

I still recommended calling the guys at 944online since they not only part these cars out on various models on a normal basis, but own their own 944s and do their own work, they have never sent me the wrong direction and on top of it, are always happy to help you. Part #s are the most help in a situation like this since we know what he BOUGHT, but it appears most definitely what it's going on (or should be, rather) is not the same thing that we are dealing with.

Again, if anyone is familiar which particular model looks like that, that would also help a lot. Picture is worth a thousand words lol!

If he would be able to post some pics though it would help identify too. Am excited and awaiting to see what the guys at 944online say, like a sponge, always ready to soak up new bits of information and learn.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:27 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good detective work!

What is this Italian disc referred to? I don't recall hearing about it in the "why does a 944 clutch cost so much" thread.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:55 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Ross
Good detective work!

What is this Italian disc referred to? I don't recall hearing about it in the "why does a 944 clutch cost so much" thread.
My brief post. Vertex and 944online sell the "Italian (made) disc":
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...omparison.html

John
Old 12-06-2010, 11:14 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

John -- Are your impressions of the "Italian" disks still positive after a year or so of use?
Old 12-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CorsePerVita
Either way, that PP isn't intended for that flywheel.
If you can't return the clutch kit and exchange for a 951 kit, the cheapest option at this stage may be to pick up a used 944 flywheel.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:22 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by John_AZ
My brief post. Vertex and 944online sell the "Italian (made) disc":
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...omparison.html

John
Thanks John, looks beefy.

I did my clutch on my 86 a month ago with 100% Sachs parts. I had the FW surfaced correctly, not my first time for a 944. The clutch really chattered at first, has gotten better, but after ~300 miles in traffic it still has some chatter. I am attributing this to a rough FW surface, but this is new to my experience. I've done perhaps 50 clutches on all kinds of cars, NEVER had one do this. Is this common on a street clutch (non-puck) in a 944?
Old 12-06-2010, 11:42 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
John -- Are your impressions of the "Italian" disks still positive after a year or so of use?
Mark, Still happy. In the beginning 1 or 2 months, the disc had a slight "bite" on the flywheel. The disc has now "worked in" and it as smooth as my 1988 924S OEM Sachs clutch kit I installed a year earlier.

Originally Posted by 944Ross
Thanks John, looks beefy.

I did my clutch on my 86 a month ago with 100% Sachs parts. I had the FW surfaced correctly, not my first time for a 944. The clutch really chattered at first, has gotten better, but after ~300 miles in traffic it still has some chatter. I am attributing this to a rough FW surface, but this is new to my experience. I've done perhaps 50 clutches on all kinds of cars, NEVER had one do this. Is this common on a street clutch (non-puck) in a 944?
This happens but I would not say it is "common" on a non rubber centered disc.
I would guess that it is due to the rough 944 flywheel if it was not resurfaced correctly with the "2 step" procedure or improper machinery used.

This "clutch diagnostic" may help.
http://media.centerforce.com/DiagGui...cGuide04DL.pdf

John

Quick Reply: Help - Clutch guru's needed