Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

eram supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts

Compare the amount of air that fan might move to a 2.5 litre air pump running at 6000 rpm and tell me it can move that much air and 10-15% more. Hahahahahahaha ha ha (ahem) ha.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:11 PM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Steve, I am just trying to figure this out. Whether the gains are worth the money or not, and is it a completed product yet, that is the key question. I think people said that 4 holes in a 968 air box would not do any good but I believe that tested to be true. The cowl induction systems of the early seventies provided gains from everything I have read. The Knight system seems to require about 16 HP to get it going. The total system looks to be about 75lbs with batteries. I am just looking to the future with advanced battery technology. In years to come they might be able to run a 15 HP motor for 2 minutes with a 10lbs battery. So you go out for a 1/2 hour drive and have your few minutes of fun at full boost. Go back to your garage and recharge. We are not talking about snake oil here. This stuff is possible and has been done, the only question is if it is something worth doing with todays technology. Like I said in my original post, there have been so many scams using this concept it has given the few legitimate guys a bad name as well. I am looking for a sound, honest and respectfull discussion here. NOT someone badgering me that I should go deplete my wallet and battery.

Last edited by rgs944; 12-04-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:32 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by rgs944
Steve, I am just trying to figure this out. Whether the gains are worth the money. I am looking for a sound, honest and respectfull discussion here....

we'll put it to you this way. CHORUS: "there's no way in hell this thing will increase the power output of your engine."

there it is. we're hereby guarenteeing we're right, saving you hundreds of your hard-earned dollars.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:37 PM
rgs944
Drifting

So you are saying the Knights Supercharger is an absolute fraud. If you are I can believe you, but I would like to see some real science to back that up.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:43 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This debate is like a train wreck right in front of you..

You want to turn away, but feel oddly compelled to continue watching.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:45 PM
rgs944
Drifting

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/04...harger/index.h
Old 12-04-2010, 08:50 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
This debate is like a train wreck right in front of you..

You want to turn away, but feel oddly compelled to continue watching.

Agreed.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:51 PM
rgs944
Drifting

What debate, I am asking questions and running into morons. Let's see, we know that forced air makes an engine produce more power, we also know that it takes HP to get that forced air. I am just trying to figure out if battery technology will ever be advanced enough to supply that power efficiently. Actually the question is not whether will it get good enough, the question is will we be alive to see it? You never know, with the rapid advancement of electric cars we might see some revolutionary battery storage breakthroughs in the next few years. If you do not have anything to contribute like real facts instead of insults, please go let your head explode.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would hazard a guess that it will someday be possible to do this with some sort of high efficiency, high output (relative to its size/weight) electric motor driving a (real) air pump of some sort. I imagine it would also require something more advanced on the battery front too (high power density). But would this ever be an economical method to boost? (especially when compared to modern day turbochargers). That is hard for me to imagine. Hell, further out there it may be a better option to convert the car to full electric...
Old 12-04-2010, 09:12 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

the guys who have posted all understand the claims made by the makers of this product are virtually impossible. no need to test the product. the guys continually build, race, read, learn, build bigger and then post their successes and failures. they smell **** a mile away...

look:

you can't add pressure to the intake system without creating a CLOSED SYSTEM and processing 16 psi of air. and in doing even that, you've heated up the air, so you needo to add even more boost for that air to be the same as if 16 psi were running normally through your intake.......

can't do it with that little weiner schnitzel. TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE.

you need a 944 turbo or LSx car.

you'll always want more power, anyway.... do it right the first time.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:31 PM
AScholtes
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok... so it seems at least one of you is talking completely out your other end rather than actually knowing the science and facts behind the matter. FWIW, these units are fans as stated, but even fans can generate a pressure increase. The pressure increase that is being stated is likely true, but 1.7 psi isnt much and the extra work that the alternator has to do to recharge the battery with negate the actual benefits of the increase. Are they a scam... more yes than no....

If you want to see something interesting, attach a leaf blower to your intake and start up the car. A leaf blower can generate between 1-2 PSI of charged pressure.

As for electric superchargers...

In the industrial setting they are used very frequently and are very efficient. They are most commonly used in industrial laser cutting machines and generally generate 4-5 PSI using about 1600-2000w (at generally 460VAC, around 4 amps...). The compressors on these industrial units are about the size of a serving platter and are powered electrically then driven through a gearbox to increase rotor speed and are of the common centrifugal design . They actually look more like a turbo (and are commonly referred as Turbos) than a supercharger, but are a supercharger due to the way they are driven.

Also, all of your large industrial air compressors are actually motor driven superchargers. These units generate 170+ PSI with discharge temperatures in the 190ish *F. These units are of the twin screw or roots design and are very efficient. For instance, the units at the plant I work in are 150HP and 1000 CFM at 120 psi....
Old 12-04-2010, 09:33 PM
rgs944
Drifting

In trying to get back to a civil discussion I will just ignore Kuhl. For the rest of you that want to discuss possibilities. I wonder if we will ever see an electric/combustion hybrid that boosts from battery power, and then charges the battery from the combustion side while driving at low throttle. Energy could be stored from your home outlet as well and you could run a very small fuel efficient combustion engine that gives the extra power with boost when you need it. The main question here is, does boost from battery power work? I am convinced it does work. I just do not know if the technology is where it needs to be to make it a good solution right now. I believe it will be in the future though.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:33 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

75 years of supercharging in the automotive industry has produced the following;

fuel mileage without supercharger on 968 .......................................27 mpg.

fuel mileage with supercharger on 968: @ 7 psi above atmosphere. 13~14 mpg

where does all that gasoline go ? you guessed it ! you could blow up a building with all that extra gas.

compare even 1 gallon of gas to it's electrical equivalent = 130,000,000 joules.

1 joule / second = 1 watt.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:38 PM
AScholtes
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They also produced 03-04 SVT Cobras with 23-24 mpg highway in a heavy *** quad cam 4.6L boat... its all about the foot in relation to the floor mat with the gas pedal in between....
Old 12-04-2010, 10:54 PM
rgs944
Drifting

Here is something that I am still not clear about. Let's say for just a stupid argument that you had a hampster under your hood that was strong enough and fast enough to produce boost. He is running in his hampster wheel turning the turbine fast enough to produce real boost. Lets say he can produce the 1.7psi that the eram claims. Would that turn into HP or do you need at least a certain amount of boost to produce HP gains?

Quick Reply: eram supercharger