Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moisture on floor, passenger and driver

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 02:05 AM
Lex_GTX
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Moisture on floor, passenger and driver

Hi Everyone,

I recently became the proud owner of a 1986 951. It is my first Porsche (certainly not my first project car) and I am quickly learning the ropes. I will start by fixing all the needs fixing on the 24 year old car while it sits in the garage for the winter.

One of the first issues is a battery box leak. The PO did not attend to this and I had a good amount of moldy insulation in the passenger footwell that is now removed.

I was however surprised to also notice the driver side footwell area has moist under-carpet insulation as well. It is not moldy but moist non the less.

After taking the seats out and checking under the dash, all I could find was a leaking clutch master. However, the moisture is water and it is wetter closer to the steering wheel.

Finally, my questions:

Can the battery box leak also be the source of the wet insulation on the driver side? Could Is the insulation connected such that the driver side insulation can wick water away from the passenger area?

OR do I have another leak? Like I said, under the steering wheel everything looked very dry. The hatch is also dry, the trunk is dry, as is the rear seat area. Am I missing something else to check?

Please bear with my inexperience - but yes, I have read almost all the topics on water leaks and battery box failures here.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-30-2010, 02:20 AM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The sun roof can leak if the seal is worn and the drains clogged. Mine started doing this in the last month and drips from where the a-pillar cover meets the headliner. If I'm in the car the drop falls on my left forearm.
Inspect around the head liner for water marks where the drip may be forming.

Another water entry point is the hatch glass seal if it has separated. The water will wick up the glass and drip onto the rear seats.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:27 AM
Lex_GTX
Racer

Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo
The sun roof can leak if the seal is worn and the drains clogged. Mine started doing this in the last month and drips from where the a-pillar cover meets the headliner. If I'm in the car the drop falls on my left forearm.
Inspect around the head liner for water marks where the drip may be forming.

Another water entry point is the hatch glass seal if it has separated. The water will wick up the glass and drip onto the rear seats.
Thanks for the reply. The rear seat area is dry and the top of the car is very dry. I will check once again, but no signs of wetness or dripping coming from behind the seats or the headliner.

Is it possible that water can be wicked from the passenger side over the transmission tunnel?
Old 11-30-2010, 03:55 AM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its a long distance for the water to travel from its source by just wicking, especially up the vertical surface at the torque tube tunnel.

Being that there are no water absorbing materials in the roof, it is not likely that you will find any dampness, even with an active leak. You may not have a leaking roof, but I wouldn't rule it out.
Have you tried hosing the car down to check for water ingress?

Oh, and welcome to Rennlist.
You'll also want to get familiar with http://www.clarks-garage.com/ This site will help answer many questions that might come up.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:51 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You found out the battery box area can leak due to acid corrosion. Some members will cut out the entire battery box area if very bad and weld in a new/used metal pan.

The next area is the air conditioning moisture drain tube may be clogged. I think yours should be behind the radio. My 924S drains by the left passenger foot. I use a vacuum with a small tube and clean out the evaporator/fan box by the drain tube outlet to get small bits of dirt and crumbling foam that clogs the drain tube.

But---you should look for a cracked firewall by the drivers side. This area has stress caused by the clutch and brake pedals and is a common area to crack. Look behind the brake booster and installation.

http://kevingosselin.blogspot.com/20...-bearings.html

GL
John
Old 11-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Lex_GTX
Racer

Thanks for the welcome and ideas everyone.

I will check the AC drain tube.

If the firewall is cracked should I notice the track around the clutch master cylinder? Is the only way to seal it welding?

The battery box hole is fairly small and it will be properly cleaned, fixed, covered in por15, and I will replace the battery with a sealed one.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:54 PM
ALFAPU
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, check where the sunroof drain tubes lead into the cowl area.

I had water in my drivers side footwell that was driving me crazy (well, crazier than usual) and it turned out to be a clogged drain tube behind the dash. I used compressed air to blow out the tube but only made things worse because the air pressure popped the tube out. In the end, I pulled the dash just so I could reattech the tube and clean out the drain. Don't do what I did!
Old 11-30-2010, 01:00 PM
Lex_GTX
Racer

Is there a section in the FSM detailing all the drain tubes? There seem to be lots.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Lex_GTX
Racer

Cleaned everything with baking soda which left some white powder behind and got a good look at the damage.

Some fairly nasty stuff - here's a picture of the worst of it. It is in the front right corder right as the wheel well starts. Would a Por15+epoxy putty+fiberglass sheet from both sides job address this or is there something else to be done? Or should I just cut my losses and find another 951? There is no frame or structural rust damage.

Quick Reply: Moisture on floor, passenger and driver