Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all Houston-Beaumont Rennlisters

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 07:03 PM
teke951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Calling all Houston-Beaumont Rennlisters

Hey guys,
Well, let me start out by saying that I have an oil leak from the front of the engine and looks like the rear as well. I also have oil residue on the #4 exhaust port (I believe coming from a rear cam seal/gasket). Monday I plan on taking the car to a local shop to identify where the leaks are coming from. I believe it has to do with engine seals and gaskets.

Once confirmed, my plan is to go in and do an overhaul of my engine: all seals, belts, rollers, while I'm in there, if hoses look bad, those too. I'd like to do everything myself and I need your help. This will be my first time to tackle this job, and what a job it will be. I need to know, what all parts will I need for seal, belts and roller replacement, what tools am I going to need and more importantly, where can I get a step by step detailed instruction list of how to do the work. And what would be even better is if any of you guys that have done this job before to your own cars, would be willing to come out on a Saturday or Sunday and help me out. I would feel alot more comfortable with someone there who has done this already and can help me through it.

Any help I can get from anyone will be greatly appreciated and somehow I'll make it worth your time. Depending on how long it will take to get parts in, I would like to do this job either next weekend (May 10 or 11) or the weekend after.

I will post again on Monday with the results of what the mechanic will say and get the ball rolling on beginning whatever repairs are needed.
Old 05-02-2003, 07:42 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Ross, I'd be glad to come help. We did Pete's belts and water pump, stopped short of the seals as they appeared to be OK. I think Geo has the repair manuals (Genuine Porsche) I have a crappy Haynes book that is kinda good as a "guide". As far as tools; lots of varied with special thinks like a flywheel lock, Pete's Special Crankshaft Pulley De-Torquing Tool.

May 10 is bad Mom's day & all (11th) I'd get divorced if I didn't spend it with the person who makes my P-car fantasy a reality (yes she just may read this over my shoulder).

What part of Houston are you in?
Old 05-02-2003, 10:56 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I am always up for working on other people's cars! Just say when and where.
Old 05-03-2003, 12:22 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts
How about a group oil pan/rod bearing job? I have been putting it off for 8 months now.

Eugene
Old 05-03-2003, 06:14 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

I'll second Pete's post "I'm always up for working on someone else's car."
Old 05-03-2003, 08:03 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Attention all posters on this thread. See the ADMIN thread about RENNLIST Birthday....
Old 05-03-2003, 08:32 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts
Ross, i used to live in houston and took my car (86 951) to eurocar-werk on gulfton, just south of the galleria. i think they know porsches pretty well, but i also got the feeling they would scam me for more money and repairs than was necessary. if you take it to a shop i would stay away from them.
try swiss autohaus (i think that's their name)
Old 05-03-2003, 10:38 PM
icat
Race Car

Best shop in the city for 944 work is ProTechnik in Stafford. Steve is one of the wrenches there and he owns and maintains a very nice white 951. Tell em Keith sent ya (it won't get you a discount, but it sounds neat ).
Old 05-04-2003, 11:25 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd love to help, but tomorrow I start two weeks of travel for work. If this gets extended beyond that I may be able to help. I love the learning experience because after the cage is in my race car, the engine is next on the list as well as clutch and suspension.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:03 AM
Dlefko
Burning Brakes

I am in the fondren/southwest area of Houston. I may not be of the most help, as i am only in my second semster of auto tech school at HCC. But, i would really like to observe and be a gopher.
I am now replacing my rubber damper disc on my automatic and it has taken me three weeks so far, but come to think of it, before this, my only experience was changing oil.

On the other subject, Eric at Eurocar Werks knows the 944 like the back of his hand, but he is pricey. And i have also heard that ProTechnik is even better and more reliable.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:40 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't guarantee I'd make it, but I'll try. I wouldn't be much good except for social support, but I would at least try to help. May is really tight for me, so I'll have to see what date you pick.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:59 AM
teke951
Instructor

I really appreciate all you guys that are willing to volunteer your time to help me out.

Looking at the calendar, seems that this month might not be the best with Mother's Day, 944 get together on May 17 and Memorial Day weekend. So I think I'm going to set my Seals/Belts/Rollers repair day for May 31/June 1 weekend.

For those that can make it out then, please let me know. In the meantime, I will be ordering parts and slowly prepping the pcar for its needed repairs.

Thanks for the advice on where to take the car to determine problems with it. I plan on taking it to Swiss Garage for them to have a gander. I've gone there before and they've treated me well.

So I'll keep you guys posted as the big repair day draws near.

BTW - I'm located in the West U area off of 59 and Kirby.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:30 PM
teke951
Instructor

Well, the seals/belts/rollers job is still on. I've set May 31 (last Saturday of May) as the big fix it day. For those that have previously commented that they are willing to help, is this a good weekend for everyone. Is it safe to say the job can be done in 1 day? This week I'll be ordering parts, which should be plenty of time for them to arrive. Anyone is welcome to come help, ESPECIALLY if you have done a belt/seals job on a 951 before. I have never done it, so its going to be a big learning experience.

More info to come.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:45 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by teke951:
<strong>Well, the seals/belts/rollers job is still on. I've set May 31 (last Saturday of May) as the big fix it day. For those that have previously commented that they are willing to help, is this a good weekend for everyone. Is it safe to say the job can be done in 1 day? This week I'll be ordering parts, which should be plenty of time for them to arrive. Anyone is welcome to come help, ESPECIALLY if you have done a belt/seals job on a 951 before. I have never done it, so its going to be a big learning experience.

More info to come.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I'll try. I cannot promise. I'm doing a lot of traveling these days and have way more on my plate than I can carry. Still, I love to help out the community.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:38 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

I will have to check to see if my schedule is open. But would love to help. If you get an early start, it is a one day job. I have the special crank bolt tool (4 foot pipe).

Quick Reply: Calling all Houston-Beaumont Rennlisters