Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mean porsche dealers

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 04:09 PM
Ryan Z
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post mean porsche dealers

anyone else treated like a kid when they go to the dealer? I'm 19, never really had the condescending treatment at porsche, but I went to the local dealer the other day and was looking around when what appeared to be a secretary said "I think I hear the ice cream truck, don't you want to run along and get some?" like I'm a little child. I din't really grasp the fact that she was being sarcastic 'till a few moments later when I responded w/ "no, I'm not hungry. later" and I drove off in my porsche. ah well, I'm grateful for the fact that the local PCA is very accepting despite my age.
Old 05-27-2003, 04:14 PM
Charles
Instructor

there all the same, but as soon as you start spending some important money at the dealer you will see that they get to know you pretty quick and respect you... =(

she prolly was the owner's daughter or something like that and was pissed that YOU could drive a real car... =)

Next time show them your money clip, they'll respond very well... =)
Old 05-27-2003, 04:18 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts
Be very polite when you do this, but feel free to ask for the General Manager/Dealership owner. When he/she is in front of you, politely ask for an explanation of that comment. I can assure you that the GM or Owner will take that situation very seriously, especially if you point out that you are driving a Porsche already. Just make sure you do not rant, rave or raise your voice. If you lose you cool in that situation, you will lose automatically. If you keep your cool and temper in check, you might get all sorts of satisfaction out of the deal, including discounted parts and freebies, plus the unique satisfaction of watching them deal with the employee that acted that way. As a business owner myself, I understand the importance of making my employees treat EVERYONE like a king, until that customers actions prove otherwise.

I would go back to the dealership and confront them on this, if I were you.

Regards,
Old 05-27-2003, 04:26 PM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

Dude, I am 19 as well and here in San Diego the staff at the dealer is very snooty as well... I go in there every so often to buy parts and they just think that I am some punk kid with rich parents, not knowing that I paid for every inch of my car with hard earned cash.... Its rediculous the things that people say when they don't know the facts. I walk around the show room and people look at me saying "what the hell is he doing in here" u know? Its terrible, and personally the next time someone says something I will go to the GM or owner or manager or someone and have a quick word with them... Porsche isn't just a car, when u buy the car u are supposed to be buying a long heritage of customer support and good service as well......
Old 05-27-2003, 04:27 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

I hate that ****. I CAN'T STAND THE FACT THAT JUST BECAUSE I'M YOUNG PEOLE THINK I'M A FOOL OR SHOUD BE TREATED LIKE AN IDIOT!!

rant mode off.
Old 05-27-2003, 04:47 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
That's happened to me more then once at Porsche Orlando. But finally a salesman named Heiner changed my opinion of Porsche salesman there. Very cool older German gentleman. So much so that if some day I ever buy a new Porsche (or newer used one) I'm going to get it from him.

Leith Porsche in Raleigh did reaffirm that most Porsche salespeople are snobs though.

The average Porsches salesperson needs to read "The Millionaire Next Door" and realize that only 2% of millionaires are from the entertainment/sports area. The rest dress like the rest of us, but may be hitting a mid life crisis. Or the "kid" may be there, because, like my dad, some send their son to do their initial car shopping!!

Anyway, do just what Scott said, perfect advice.
Old 05-27-2003, 07:33 PM
OC Porsche
Racer

Har har,

The American wealthy person is a myth and a fantasy of some people. Some people are just deluded by appearances, here's a prime example:

I arrive at "blank" motorcars (Mercedes/Jag) here in town in my 99 mercury cougar and pull up to the service entrance. I hop out in my ripped shorts, tank top and sandals and go in to the counter. There is one woman inside, nicely dressed with her hair yanked way tooo tight in a bun. She snootily says "We don't service THOSE cars", and pops a smirk so I replied "it looks like you're in the wrong place then". She got visibly embarrassed when here comes the wifey with the Jag in behind me. The girl left and did not return for the rest of the time I waited on the car. Wife took the Cougar and left me to wait. Where the hell do they get this $hit I thought?

The Service Manager kindly checked my car out of the shop, I handed him my card and commented that the greeter seemed to have a problem with me or my car, and if that was the case I could surely drive the car elsewhere for service. He promptly handed me my credit card back, gave me my receipt, and a sincere apology.....my service was free. I have yet to see that same woman in their shop in 2 return visits, I am glad that someone there in the right position recognized quality service.

Trending Topics

Old 05-27-2003, 08:01 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
When that happens - can you please e-mail me/post with the specifics? Like - Dealer name, who you spoke to, what was said, the date, the time, the.... Well you get the idea....

Being young once (a long time ago ), and owning a Porsche ("yes Virgil - even a 914, 924, 944 is a Porsche" ), I can say from experience - that sucks. I can also tell you - I do not think that's the way PCNA or PAG wants their dealers to represent them (but, what do I know???)....

Lets see if we can't make a difference, OK??? If there are enough replies - I'll tack this as an Admin thread for a while....

Let's see what happens......
Old 05-27-2003, 08:07 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Luckily there's a cute girl my age behind the counter at my local dealership
Old 05-27-2003, 08:15 PM
stoked944
Racer

Ok i actually have one on the good side. I'm 16 years old. And i pulled up to the porsche/audi dealership in cincinati or somewhere near middletown, and i was in my friends crappy 1990 jetta, thats wrecked mind you. When i shut the door, the window falls down. I'm dead serious. But when i went in to get parts for my 944, an older guy that worked there was very nice in helping me find my way around, and he even held the door for me. wow. i felt so dumb.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:19 PM
951Badger
Racer

As an ex (reformed?) sales person I learned VERY quickly that you do not EVER know who you are talking to.

Example:

I was, a long time ago, the keyboard sale manager at a music store. A guy wanders in and, while he doesn't look homeless, he does look a little down and out. I was with a customer so I couldn't talk to him. NO OTHER SALES PERSON wanted to approach him presumably because he was a waste of time. After about 20 minutes I finally get free and go over to talk to him. I apologize for his wait and ask if there is something I can help him with. He points to the most expensive piece of equipment in the store (a $12,000 digital baby grand piano) and says "I'd like to buy that please". Turns out he was the pastor at a local church and was buying it for use there. All the other sales people were PISSED! I ended up with a $1200 commision and they learned that you should treat EVERYBODY with respect.

There were, of course, kids who DID waste my time but I don't care. I was a kid once too and when someone treated me with respect I always vowed to repay the favor should I have the money to purchase whatever they were kind enough to show me.

This should apply to Porsche as well. I think when I'm ready to purchase a 996 TT I will deliberately dress down, drive a friends beater and see who REALLY deserves the commision!
Old 05-27-2003, 08:24 PM
led
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I went to the dealer a couple of months ago and didn't know where the parts counter was so, I asked one of the salesmen. He treated me like a kid and even before I had finished asking he was already answering, I hate that. The guy at the parts counter, on the other hand, was really nice. He even told me that their prices were really steep and I shouldn't get anything there unless I had no choice.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:45 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
John, you the man. While we are at it, let's reward the folks who are kind, and don't just a book by it's cover, with praise. We could keep a database of the true enthusiast Porsche dealer salespeople. Once the Porsche salespeople hear about that database, I bet there would be a change in attitude!

For example:

Praise: Heiner at Porsche of Orlando, and their parts and tech department (parts/tech guys are usually much cooler).

Complaint: A lady at Leith Porsche in Raleigh. Don't remember her name, and she wasn't "mean" per se, but I think cold would be the word to describe her. Although, after I chatted for a bit, warmed her up with my kindness and knowledge of the PCCB system, she did give me an invite to the Cayenne launch...

Lesson: BE KIND TO EVERYONE. I was in my buddy's mom's store the other day in Orlando, and a girl was picking out curtains or something (high end interior design store in Winter Park). Looked like a normal girl. Turns out she's the wife of one of the NSYNC guys (can't remember which one), and we started talking about his SEVEN (7) cars...

Again, let's praise those who are decent to all without regard for age of how they look.

-Matt
Old 05-27-2003, 09:19 PM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

Not to be on such a down note in this thread (because i have had many good experiences with dealerships) but, have any other young porsche owners noticed how you have to wait to be helped sometimes while some older guy/gal who might have been there less time gets helped before you? Do you ever have to wait because u don't "look" like you own a Porsche? This has happened to me a few times? Just curious?
Old 05-27-2003, 09:24 PM
Ryan Z
Pro

yes, this happens to me. I get it at all comparable level stores untill I buy something, sadly.

Quick Reply: mean porsche dealers