Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown head gasket.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 02:30 AM
je951
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Blown head gasket.

Well it seems I now have a blown head gasket. These past couple months I have had a mysterious coolant "leak",with no source. It wasn't to rapid of a loss until recently I was doing gallons a week, at this point it was trying to run hot (when it's 30 degrees out) so I parked it. Though I never had the white smoke from the tail pipe. I also noticed a white sludgy build up around the top of the tube you pour oil in so my conclusion is head gasket. (The car has 200,000 miles on it to). So I'm going to replace that and while I'm at it do some other maintenance. I figured I would ask what would be some recommended things to replace while it's apart ? Thanks
Old 11-20-2010, 03:25 AM
ribs
Rennlist Member

When my HG blew, I replaced it with a cometic HG; I also did the water pump and front seals while it was apart, plus had a basic head job done. The 951 had about 115K on it when it went and had been running chips since '91 or so.

A year or so before the HG went, I replaced the rod bearings, oil pan gasket, fuel lines, FPR, motor mounts, front and rear suspension, and almost every gasket, bolt and nut that was touched during the process.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:51 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi je951 & welcome.

This may help:
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ed-advice.html

GL
John
Old 11-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure sounds like an HG. I wouldn't keep running it this way since antifreeze boiling in the combustion chamber in sufficient quantity can steam clean the cylinder walls with nasty results (learned the hard way).
Old 11-20-2010, 02:26 PM
je951
Track Day

Originally Posted by John_AZ
Hi je951 & welcome.

This may help:
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ed-advice.html

GL
John
thanks,
Old 11-20-2010, 05:33 PM
je951
Track Day

So now I'm beginning to think it's not a head gasket, I did a coolant system pressure test and everything was normal, no rapid gains in pressure,just gradual. I'm thinking it has to be the oil cooler
Old 11-20-2010, 06:09 PM
Want to be
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

White smoke is coolant. I would purchase a wild fire kit from Pelican and get'ir done.

Good luck,

PS make sure the kit you purchase is correct, i received a few parts form my kit that were packaged wrong.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:17 PM
John_AZ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by je951
So now I'm beginning to think it's not a head gasket, I did a coolant system pressure test and everything was normal, no rapid gains in pressure,just gradual. I'm thinking it has to be the oil cooler
Do a leak down test.

If you hear bubbles in the coolant reservoir tank==bad HG.

If you hear hissing at the exhaust pipe tip===bad valves

If you hear hissing in the oil fill cap tube===bad rings

http://www.dietersmotorsports.com/Co...akdowntest.htm

Harbor frieght puts the leak down tester on sale.

GL
John
Old 11-21-2010, 09:50 AM
John_AZ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by je951
The coolant system pressure test is a fine test to check for pin holes in the cooling system. I usually use about 10 pounds of pressure---anymore might separate the plastic and metal radiator seam and cause more leaks.

The oil cooler usually fails when the 2 large oil cooler "O" rings age. This allows oil into the cooling system and causes a "milkshake" --brown foam in the cooling reservoir. The oil coats the hoses and internal parts.

If the opposite happens and the coolant enters the oil passages, eventually getting into the oil pan-----it will distroy the rod bearings. Porsche tech WSM (work shop manual) says to replace the rod bearings if this happens.

To change the oil cooler gaskets and "O" rings requires an alignment tool for the OPRV (oil presure relief valve) or it may bind and cause bad problems.

It is not a hard job---just really messy and limited space to work. Some members take off the headers. If you decide to do the HG---the oil cooler gaskets should be changed at this time.

GL
John

Quick Reply: Blown head gasket.