Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 radiator solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 02:43 AM
kenkawai993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rgs944
Pretty weird stuff "kenkawai993", I think you need to understand the basics of water and oil. I will give you a clue, THEY DON'T MIX.
I guess you could say I'm desperatly trying to really put the auto radiator on a manual car... And in my desperation, I was hoping water would co-operate with oil and function the way I would like it to. But I digress. Lol.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:54 AM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow!
Old 11-14-2010, 03:11 AM
90Carat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kenkawai993
I guess you could say I'm desperatly trying to really put the auto radiator on a manual car... And in my desperation, I was hoping water would co-operate with oil and function the way I would like it to. But I digress. Lol.
Whoa, what?

LOL!!

Yeah, from a previous post in this thread, using a radiator from an auto car is OK on a manual car.

For the lowball comment. This board is really great for finding parts at really good prices. Unfortunately, this generosity does not always extend to non-Rennlist sellers. Many of them feel that their 20 year old 944 radiator is is made of gold and shockingly rare, therefore it must worth quite a sum of money. I apologize for my cynicism towards listers.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:29 AM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kenkawai993
LMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!

rgs944 - I really am not trying to start anything here, it's all just my opinion, same thing would go for rebuilt starter/alternator/water pump ... I would not put these on my car either

I guess its just a "pet peeve" of mine if you will, yeah there are used parts that I am willing to put on my car, but anything fuel(delivery)/electrical(starter, wires, plugs, alternator, cap, rotor etc)/cooling(pump, hoses, switches, relays) related - or "good used turbo" or something - I simply would never do ... I deem these things as essential, and I would rather play it safe then sorry
Old 11-14-2010, 07:49 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

A new, correct, radiator isn't that expensive so why try to re-invent the wheel? The original one lasted 27 years and keeps the 944 motor perfectly cool. I could see why a v8 conversion would necessitate a larger one, but for a regular 944, just crack open the wallet and get the right thing. Why waste your valuable time trying to make something from another car fit? I don't know about you but my time is worth money. Yes I love working on my car, but I don't enjoy trying to make parts fit that weren't designed for it.

I'm not being mean, just trying to inject a little logic and reason.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:21 AM
roman944
Drifting

yeah and I'm all with you on that, that is what I'll be doing, I was just checking for other possible options and if there is room for improvement
Old 11-14-2010, 08:51 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by roman944
yeah and I'm all with you on that, that is what I'll be doing, I was just checking for other possible options and if there is room for improvement
Also, although resale isn't probably a high priority in your thinking at this stage, I know if I was looking at 944s and opened the hood and saw a bunch of Ford or Toyota parts bolted in there, I'd just think "pass".
Old 11-14-2010, 08:58 AM
roman944
Drifting

lol no

more like aftermarket upgrades, like the SFR radiator
Old 11-14-2010, 10:05 AM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I use qaulity used parts on any car I can. Just my nature(or need) to not throw money away. I guess if you do not want to use a good used part, why subject yourself to driving a used car. Just buy a new one every year and quite worrying about it.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:56 AM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have torn open a few 944 radiators and the plastic side tanks are crimped on by the alloy tines and are sealed by rubber gaskets between the tanks and radiator seat. I recently "recrimped" mine as it sat for a while before my V8 swap,and it stopped leaking. All summer I ran the NA radiator without a T-stat and it cooled the V8 perfectly even in 100* ambient temps. The problem now is the rubber gasket is shot and has a super slow leak so I bought an all alloy radiator that fits between the rails and I am going to install it after welding a solid cap in the fill reservoir, then just TEE off the top driver's port to the expansion tank.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY...item4cf1290008
Old 11-14-2010, 12:50 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to kenkawai993

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLapsalot View Post
To plug the an auto radiator just put anything that will fit in there or even just tape it or do nothing. Coolant does not flow from the holes in a radiator from an automatic transmission car. You can use a radiator from an auto in a car with a standard transmission with no problems.
interesting... how much pressure is the cooling system under? im thinking tape or like a "butt plug" will just blow right off... i was thinking maybe get a use a hose with an end on it and a clamp to seal it off? or maybe even use some sort of glue on it around the plug idk lol im just shooting ideas out there
kenkawai993 is offline Report Post Reply With Quote

There is no pressure at all in that line from a radiator for an auto trans car when used in a car without and auto trans. Those lines are for the ATF fluid from an auto to flow through the radiator separate from the coolant to just use the radiator space for cooling of the AFT fluid. Trust me you can use a radiator from an auto for a manual with no problems just plug the hole or holes with anything or don't it doesn't matter it will be fine.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:52 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Sorry but can somebody tell me how to quote another post? I can never figure it out f computers
Old 11-14-2010, 01:00 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 Sirlaps. Also you can use those auto cooler ports for oil cooler line input/outputs, just plumb them in from a sandwich adapter from the oil filter.

EDIT: +1 on the F computers comment as well LOL
Old 11-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had 3 OEM radiators and after 80K or so miles they all developed a crack in the plastic tank at the flange where the aluminum 'fingers' crimp over. I tried to epoxy it but the fingers get in the way of a good seal. After going through this 3 times and purchasing 2 new OEM rads, I bought a copper & brass unit offered by Performance Products (no more). It is a 4 (or 5?) row and has the hardware to mount the stock fans. While it is heavier, it has been quite durable. Surprisingly though, it doesn't cool quite as well as the OEM in very hot weather (I thought copper was a better conductor of heat). if I replaced it now I would go with OEM or price out an all aluminum rad.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:33 PM
phast944
4th Gear

Ecellent question as I think a fourcore radiator would be superior or even a dual core. I dont know if you would have to put a new outflow tube at the same height as the original if you substitute, but the flow characteristics are there so the plasti-tank cycles the fluid, if you have it higher it may not flush during thremostat open/close cycles also finding a substitute to fit seems difficult due to proprietary design issues. I thought I read the flow is reverse of other thermostat cycles. I would just bite the bullet and buy oem design to avoid a mistake/but the idea is valid. I too would like a more substantial radiator, so I will watch this one. seems weird there isn't a fill cap on the radiator itself.

Quick Reply: 944 radiator solutions?