Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vitesse/Garrett Turbo - Motor Mount/O-Ring Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010 | 12:23 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Default Vitesse/Garrett Turbo - Motor Mount/O-Ring Question

I've been reading turbo threads as I'm about to do mine and keep running across Garrett/Vitesse Stage 2 threads where the fitment to the motor mount is square vs circle for the stock. Some folks leak, some don't. I don't want to get back in here if I don't have to so curious what the present day consensus is on what to do with this. Pic of my turbo attached below...

My first question is - is this the place on the turbo where you'd place this setup or a restrictor?

I read a quote from TonyG (from this thread) saying that with these Garrett turbo's with the square fittings you need something like this?

Confirm or Deny for my turbo?? I know John apparently ships some paper'ish gasket thing that fits over here - but since I bought used, I don't have anything.

There is only ONE correct solution:

That is to contact Tim at SFR. Ask him to machine you a piece of 1/4" aluminum with the new smaller thicker "O" ring receiver grove and new smaller thicker "O" ring.

Then sandwich this in between your motor mount and the turbo.

Keep the stock "O" ring between the motor mount and the new spacer.

The new spacer has the new "O" ring up top (which is smaller and properly fits the Garrett turbo).

The stock turbo mount bolts will fit fine.

Also the cross over pipe, and turbo down pipe will fit with a little muscle.

That little thin metal gasket/paper gasket combo doesn't work for long. The vibration and movement of the turbo destroys the turbo before too long.

Been there, done that. More than once!
Attached Images  
Old 11-10-2010 | 02:11 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

This gasket with the original o-ring in place. Worked fine on my car and on my buddies car that had the same turbo. Being only a drain there is very little pressure on this gasket, so no leaks.

http://www.extremepsi.com/store/cust...cat=336&page=1
Old 11-10-2010 | 09:10 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

And the restrictor goes in the supply side, not the drain.
Old 11-10-2010 | 11:06 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

thanks guys - after reading more I realized that the restrictor would go up top...and there was a bunch of debate about whether the Garrett turbo's could take the high oil pressure our cars generate as well as the KKK's which was why there were more leaks...but John piped in on a thread and mentioned that they engineer some additional oil management so restrictors aren't neccessary.
Old 11-10-2010 | 01:41 PM
running_cold924
Racer

no restrictor for mine and it has been fine, no excessive smoke...

similar turbo to yours too
Old 11-10-2010 | 06:06 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

are you guys replacing the o-ring with a new one when swapping the turbo or just using the old one - I've seen recommendations for both?

Quick Reply: Vitesse/Garrett Turbo - Motor Mount/O-Ring Question