Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help extracting a screw in the fog light assembly...!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 04:30 PM
Jeff928S4
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Need help extracting a screw in the fog light assembly...!!!

My passenger side fog light stopped working the other night. Most likely a bulb....

I removed the screw from the left side of the lens to remove the lens and then found the other screw was tight. I stripped the Phillips head grooves out of the screw in an attempt to remove it.

I noticed I could remove the entire assembly (lens and black plastic section the lens screws into) from behind - problem is, because it is on the passenger side - there are some sort-of steel lines that run right across where the screws are, so my only hope is to remove the stripped screw.

Any suggestion? What is the best way to get this screw out?

I need both my fogs running - the car doesn't look as "cool" without them!!

944S Boyeee
Old 10-21-2002, 04:40 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts
Drill off the head. Then when you can get the front face off grab what remains of the thread portion with a pair of linesman pliers ad twist it out.
Old 10-21-2002, 04:47 PM
Jeff928S4
Drifting

I thought about that, but if you have ever removed these screws, you know how recessed they are in the plastic.

Where would I start with the drill? I can't get in there to hit it from the side. Do I just drill the head of the screw off? Do I just drill straight at it, like I was trying to un-screw it? Is my goal to "cut" the head off from the side or to completely drill the head off from the front? I don't think I have the "from the side" option.

Sorry for what might be stupid questions, but I've never drilled a screw out before.

944S Boyeee
Old 10-21-2002, 04:50 PM
mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remove it from behind like you were thinking. The steel lines there are your power steering cooling lines, they are a pain to work around, but you can do it-- I have. All you need is some patience and a small screw driver, and a jack would help. If you can jack up the front of the car, this would actually be really easy, I had to do it without one. There are four screws on the back holding it in. Hope this helps.
Old 10-21-2002, 04:54 PM
mouse
Burning Brakes

Upon thinking about this more, if the problem is the bulb, then you are going to have to take out that stripped screw anyway...so if that's the case then unscrewing it from the back won't help to fix your problem. Sorry
Old 10-21-2002, 05:02 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts
Just went out and looked at mine so I didn't say something wrong.

Just go straight at the head with the drill bit (1/4 inch should work fine) Your looking to take the actual head off, leaving the threaded shank. Once you've got this off you should be able to pull the assy straight off. Leaving a large portion of the shank off which you should be able to twist off with pliers. Then take the screw you have left and find stainless steel replacements.

If you were in the states I could tell you a mail order place that will next day em. Don't know about the Great white north. If you have to buy a package of 50 or so sell em to other rennlist members. Looking at my screws I know I'll buy a set.
Old 10-21-2002, 05:02 PM
Jeff928S4
Drifting

Concerning the "backdoor removal" idea....

Once the black plastic casing is removed, wouldn't that allow me to pull the lens and bracket out and get at the front screw better? Is there any way of getting at the back of the front screw once the fog light assembly is out?

I tried all weekend to get those damn screws out in the back. I could get the ones on the left side out no problem, but the ones on the right were a PITA!! I loosened both of them, but my hands literally were numb from attempting it all day and I gave up. My wrist is still sore today.

So, my only option now is to remove the screw from the lens in the front? I know if I just take it to a gas station, someone will get the screw out - but I wanna do this on my own. All stripped, stuck screws will be belong to me!!!

944S Boyeee
Old 10-21-2002, 05:06 PM
Jeff928S4
Drifting

Thanks Sid and Mouse!!

I guess I'm a-goin' a-drillin'!!!

You wouldn't think a screw would be so bitchy, seeing as it is in plastic!!....but, I guess when they get stuck - they get stuck!!

944S Boyeee
Old 10-21-2002, 07:38 PM
nib5
Instructor

I don't think the lens screw is screwing into plastic, I have a similar problem except the head is fine but the captive nut (and I am assuming that is what is in there) is turning - obviously my bulb has gone on the ps side.

I will watch this post with interest, before going out and removing more skin from my hands than is absolutely necessary.
Old 10-21-2002, 07:43 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
A good reason why you should have more than one size of Philips screwdriver.
Old 10-21-2002, 09:27 PM
RJP 951
Racer

I had a similar problem when I went to replace a bulb in my fog light... the screws were basically fused to the metal inserts in the plastic housing.

When I went to drill out the screws, the heat from the bit was high enough to melt the plastic immediately surrounding the metal insert, and I ended up pulling the screw and insert out as one piece.

To fix, I went to the hardware store and found some brass inserts that are meant for wood furniture, and epoxied them into place. Worked great, except that I couldn't find metric inserts, and now need to keep track of which screws go in which holes (marked them with paint to help!)

Hope that helps.
Ron
Old 10-21-2002, 09:37 PM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have the same problem. Let us know how you make out.
Old 10-22-2002, 10:22 AM
Jeff928S4
Drifting

I hope mine doesn't melt!!!!

I'm gonna do this sometime this afternoon.

Does anyone have any other ideas besides drilling it out??? Just in case?

944S Boyeee

Quick Reply: Need help extracting a screw in the fog light assembly...!!!