Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting smoking problem...UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 11:09 AM
Teddy952
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Interesting smoking problem...UPDATE

Here is an update...

I drove last night for a bit and it still heavy smoke at stoplights and stopped traffic. I also noticed that the car was running very hot, almost in the red. As soon as the temp would rise the fans would come on and bump it back down but it would quickly rise up again. I added water and headed home. In an attempt to reduce the heat I turned on the heat inside full and there was no heat coming out at all!!!! (Heater Core??) Ill check the coolant level today but I don't remember it being low.

IDEAS!?!

ORIGINAL MESSAGE

Here goes...

While driving the car it accelerates perfectly and has plenty of power all the way to redline. But I noticed that if I put it in neutral and just coast the rpms drop till almost stall and then catch itself to a somewhat normal idle 950-1000. I noticed that there was NO smoke while driving.

When Im in my garage the idle is terribly rough and if I blip the throttle I get a plume of grey-light blue smoke out of the exhaust. I have adjusted my ARC2 settings so they are spot on according to the ARM1. I recently changed the oil and put in 6.5 or 7 quarts and the level is perfect. I replaced the plugs. The old ones were dirty but not contained nothing alarming. Could this be bad gas? I was going to top off the tank with 94 octane to see if that solves the problem.

All and all the car runs like it always did accept for this new smoking problem. Just to note, this idle/smoking problem does NOT happen when the engine is cold. Just after driving for a very short while the idle gets rough.

Any ideas????

-Ted
89 952
Old 04-30-2003, 11:56 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What color is the smoke? Blue, black or white
Old 04-30-2003, 12:36 PM
Teddy952
Racer

The smoke is grey to white. It only happens when I start moving from a stop. It seems like something is building up and when I give it a little gas it plumes out the exhaust. There is no smoke while driving and under heavy acceleration.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:34 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Have you done recent work on the car?
Old 04-30-2003, 03:00 PM
billybones
Burning Brakes

sounds like to much gas at Idle or when the throttle is closed. Ecm telling the injectors to dump in more gas then needed? from what I have read that maybe a vaccum leak in your intake hose system. it will be a small one. No heat at the core would indicate a need to bleed the system plus the overheat. Maybe you are leaking coolant and it is being sucked into the intake if you have an intake such as K&N filter system that sucks air in the engine compartment.. Just a thought.
Old 04-30-2003, 03:24 PM
Teddy952
Racer

I haven't had any recent work done and haven't had any problems until now. I will check for a vacuum leak and bleed the coolant. Is there any other way that coolant could be getting in the engine other than the head gasket?

Quick Reply: Interesting smoking problem...UPDATE