Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flywheel resurfacing

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 11:26 PM
CorsePerVita
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flywheel resurfacing

How much should i/can i?

BTW here are wonderful pictures of my horrible clutch and the bearing that was eating itself to pieces. (so THATS what that bbs in a can rattling sound was.)

Old 10-05-2010, 11:27 PM
CorsePerVita
Pro

Old 10-06-2010, 12:54 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my 951 flywheel to a local machine shop which I trust, and they just resurfaced the front side and then shaved the backside down to basically where those little reference screws are. I think it took about 5lbs or less out from the flywheel. Not a huge difference but it was very slightly noticeable. Took about a whole day on the machine to get it shaved down.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:20 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great disc you got there---Italian, nice.

I'm using the same disc on the '87. It took a while to break in. Now it is real smooth.

Your flywheel is nasty. A basic 2 step flywheel resurface is about $40 in PHX. I do not know what it would cost to shave weight. I have seen some ready to go on eBay for about $200 for a lightened flywheel.

GL
John
Old 10-06-2010, 01:21 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are those grooves cut in the flywheel face by rivets? From the looks of the checking and scoring you may want to consider a good used flywheel, offered by several shops online. The FSM gives no guidance whatsoever on how much can be cut. If it needs more than 0.010 - 0.015" to clean up, I'd bag it.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:28 AM
CorsePerVita
Pro

Originally Posted by John_AZ
Great disc you got there---Italian, nice.

I'm using the same disc on the '87. It took a while to break in. Now it is real smooth.

Your flywheel is nasty. A basic 2 step flywheel resurface is about $40 in PHX. I do not know what it would cost to shave weight. I have seen some ready to go on eBay for about $200 for a lightened flywheel.

GL
John
I called my dad up, turns out one of our old family friends runs his own machine shop in his town, so I'll probably just travel there thursday and check that out. Not too worried about shaving weight unless it'll only take a moment but it sounds time consuming and I'm perfectly fine with it the way it is.

Originally Posted by drift a 944
I took my 951 flywheel to a local machine shop which I trust, and they just resurfaced the front side and then shaved the backside down to basically where those little reference screws are. I think it took about 5lbs or less out from the flywheel. Not a huge difference but it was very slightly noticeable. Took about a whole day on the machine to get it shaved down.
Yeah that sounds preeeetty time consuming, i want it back on the road soon as I can. The 924 is going to get the performance mods, I think i'll just get a resurface and call it good. good info though.

Originally Posted by 944Ross
Are those grooves cut in the flywheel face by rivets? From the looks of the checking and scoring you may want to consider a good used flywheel, offered by several shops online. The FSM gives no guidance whatsoever on how much can be cut. If it needs more than 0.010 - 0.015" to clean up, I'd bag it.
No, i inspected it thoroughly and to the eye cannot see or feel any grooves cut into the flywheel. It looks ugly but it's not made it that far. The rivets were close, but didn't make it quite yet.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:31 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Definitely resurface the flywheel, this should always be done when replacing the disc. Cost should not be more than $50 or so and takes about a day. Lightening is a nice option also if you want to do it, you can get the stock flywheel down to about 9lbs or so. It revs much nicer and is not bad at all in traffic or starting on inclines. A well worthwhile thing to do i think.

Its also a very good idea to have the flywheel and pressure plate assembly balanced.

I had a machine shop resurface, lighten and balance the flywheel/PP together.. cost was $120 and was ready for me at the end of the day.

This is what the disc looks like after lightening, you can see where the material on the backside is removed.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:49 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jon, do you know by any chance what the weight difference is for a stock 944 n/a flywheel vs. a stock 951 flywheel, if any? I can't seem to remember what I weighed mine at, but I figure someone has factory specs.
:/
Old 10-06-2010, 01:56 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

Wow, I just had my flywheel resurfaced locally... but had no clue about the lightening. Now I'm wondering if I should bring it back... hm....
Old 10-06-2010, 02:06 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont think there is much difference in weight between the two, they look almost identical. I think stock its about 14 or 15lbs.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:55 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 + on the information from Techno Duck.
If you got the complete clutch kit (PP,TO,disc) you should get the PP & FW balanced. I did this on my "87 when I installed the Italian disc. $125.
After the FW is ground and the top ridge is put on the lathe, the shop will put the FW on the machine and balance it separately. then the PP is attached and balanced as a pair.

The only possible downside to get it balanced is that you pay so close attention to vibration that you may notice the Torque Tube/driveshaft vibration if the TT bearings are out of tolerance--going bad.

The FW weighs about 15 pounds 4 ounces.

GL
John

Quick Reply: Flywheel resurfacing