Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cooling system -> update (solved !!! )

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 09:05 PM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default cooling system -> update (solved !!! )

I got my low-temp thermo-fan switch (new one) and thermostat - both 71* ones

got them in last night, but UPS came in at like 6:30PM so we finished installing thermostat at like 8:30PM and it was way too dark outside

today in the morning my brother came back from work and finished installing the thermostat;

found an issue - my silicone cooling hoses from Lindsey Racing - the hose from waterpump to radiator got a bit chewed by the fan - for those who have their cooling hose kit - they probably noticed that the hoses are not exactly perfect fit - and are almost 3x as thick as the stock hoses

we had rubber coolant sleeves from other cars, and we just happened to have a sleeve about 10" long - so we lubed up the waterpump->radiator hose with Vaseline, and put the sleeve on it - and it's perfect

then we started checking WHY the fan was touching the hose - it turns out that this hose is approximatly 1-1 1/2" longer then the stock one ... and for some reason, the radiator on passenger's side isn't in place - a couple of zip-ties fixed it until I get new radiator pads

after that, filled the system with:

antifreeze - 1 gallon
distilled water - 1 gallon
1/2 bottle of Water Wetter

started the car, and STEAM came out from under the bleed screw! continued to come out for a few mnts, fans didn't turn on, so I thought we fu(ked up again, shut the car off, let it cool ... turn on and start bleeding - same thing happened, except this time fans turned on ... STEADY steam coming out of bleed screw

so I am "****ting bricks" at this point, freaking out

shut the car off

decide to give it a go again ... and this time some steam came out, and then coolant started FLOODING from under the bleed screw!

closed the bleed screw - went and checked the temp gauge - car was at ALMOST 1/2 mark ... and then the fans kicked on ... and in seconds car cooled down to 1/4 mark!

bled two more times and decided to go for a drive, results:

before - on downshifts - car would heat up to 3/4 mark

now - car heats up to 1/8" before half-mark - fans kick on - and cool it down to 1/4 mark

I haven't seen the car heat up even to 1/2 mark

so, for all you guys who are having cooling problems - do yourself AND more importantly - your car - a favor - get a low-temp thermostat and thermo-fan switch!

now, I am going to keep an eye at the coolant level - and I will top it off STRICTLY with antifreeze

Also, thumbs up to Redline, for making Water Wetter! Saved my *** more then once!
Old 09-22-2010, 09:24 PM
CorsePerVita
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rock on!
Old 09-22-2010, 09:46 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where did you get the parts? is the thermostat as hard as they say?
Old 09-22-2010, 10:49 PM
roman944
Drifting

Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
where did you get the parts? is the thermostat as hard as they say?
took my brother like 1 hour straight laying on his back with a "shop light" to do it - but we had the hoses off and everything

the biggest PITA is that snap ring, and it appeared as though he got it in the way it's supposed to be - make sure you have a GOOD set of those pliers for the snap ring, that will make a HUGE difference

I got my pieces from Paragon, I think 944online has a "low-temp kit" but its like 2x the $$$ from everywhere else ... though I think their low-temp kit is like a 67* one

let me see if I can find it

edit: here you go - http://944online.com/cgi-bin/ASI_Sto...ercooling-9441

also, its been like 10 days now, and I still haven't received my A/C relay from 944online ... may have to e-mail them or call them Friday if it's not here tomorrow
Old 09-22-2010, 11:37 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

i have almost an entire ac system in my garage. depending on what you need, i may be able to help.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:29 AM
roman944
Drifting

I wanted a relay for the fans, but since that's solved now, I don't think I need it

I gotta call 944online and see if they shipped it or not ... and if not, then they can cancel my order
Old 09-23-2010, 08:54 AM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I just did the same thing this week. My 951 was running hot, found the therm was not opening up all the way. So we changed the therm, sending unit and fan switch to the lower temp versions. Now I run at 1/4 or less on gauge.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:12 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

I had done the same on my 86 951 many years ago but it was never really overheating or even running hot. The new components made the fans constantly cycle and do battle with the low temp thermostat, the fans were on way too often, and the car ran much too cold in the Winter making the heater not very effective. We have fairly mild Winters so I can't imagine what NY must be like. I went back to stock components and still never had a problem. I'm not saying the low-temp components are a bad thing for your car but they sure made mine very annoying to drive. In addition I'm sure Porsche engineers picked that operating temp for a good reason.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:24 PM
smokin_944
Racer

I agree with Steve that if you are running the car in winter, it will definitely not hold a constant temp. For example, on a +10 degree C day, the temp wont rise past 80 C which is the low side of operating temperature. As far as the fans are concerned, it has been my experience that a 75/70 thermalswitch and a low temp stat work well in temperate climates (20-30 degrees C) but in 35-40 degree C temps, the fans will drive a guy crazy. In those temps an 80 degree stat and an 82/77 thermal switch might be better.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:26 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

I hear ya Steve but I've had good luck with the low temp set up and it gets pretty cold here - no way I would go back. Well, maybe if I moved to live north of Chicago -as if-. bruce
Old 09-23-2010, 08:37 PM
roman944
Drifting

I'm not really concerned with the heat - I'm originally form Russia (north pacific - way past Siberia)

so there, lol

but I get what you are saying

also, since my car is gutted, I hear a lot of other noises, and trust me, last thing that I'm worried about is the fan noise!
Old 09-23-2010, 09:47 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

i was worried about the fans running "too much" i may hold off on this modification.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:50 AM
smokin_944
Racer

Thirdgenbird, what is the average temp where you are? With the Tstat options and the thermalswitch options available, you can customize your cooling system.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:30 PM
roman944
Drifting

today its 90* out and VERY humid, car runs well, and runs at 1/2 the temp, no more loss of cooling fluid, so I guess I am where I am supposed to be!
Old 09-24-2010, 08:43 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Originally Posted by smokin_944
Thirdgenbird, what is the average temp where you are? With the Tstat options and the thermalswitch options available, you can customize your cooling system.
haha... i live in iowa. the car consistently sees temperatures from 4 degrees C to 43 degrees C (with extreme humidity)

i would say the car is operated most of the time from 20-35 degrees C

Originally Posted by roman944
today its 90* out and VERY humid, car runs well, and runs at 1/2 the temp, no more loss of cooling fluid, so I guess I am where I am supposed to be!
as a community, we need to cut out this "half", "first line", "second line", and "third line" stuff...

early and late gauges are different and this could lead to confusion.

yes, "line one" is the same, but "line two" is a full 11 degrees C different. thats about 52 degrees F...

i say my car consistently runs from 85-90 degrees and will climb up to 97 (according to the gauge) when i am in a parking lot or going slow through town. at this time, the fans kick on, and the temps drop back to the 85-90 range rather quickly.

Quick Reply: cooling system -> update (solved !!! )