Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suspension problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2002, 03:02 PM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post suspension problem?

On my 86 na, I have a suspension problem that I think is bad shocks, the shop I took it to (not a porsche shop) said they thought it was shocks, but Im still not 100% sure. The car has nearly 150K miles, and as far as I can tell, still has original shocks. Whenever you go over a bump, the steering wheel makes a quick jerk to the left. The car bounces a bit after going over larger bumps, which is why I think it is the shocks. There is also a clunk sound whenever going over bumps. The problem seems to be mostly in the front drivers side wheel. Anyways, If anyone knows what this can be or has an idea, please let me know. Also, I should replace the rear shocks anyways just because they are probably worn right? How hard is it to replace the front shocks? Thanks for all the help in advance!!
Old 03-13-2002, 03:20 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hopefully your shop came to this conclusion based on the lack of other possibilities. Short of taking the strut off and having it bench-tested, the only way to tell if it's bad is to rule out everything else. This is done by checking all the other failure points in the suspect area... like the control arm bushings and ball-joints, stabilizer mounts and bushings, wheel bearings, upper strut mount and bearing, tie-rods, etc. Your symptoms certainly lead to a bad strut, and the mileage is well past the OE life-cycle.

The replacement is relatively easy, and the only non-common tool needed would be a coil spring clamp. Your particular struts are rebuildable (insert cartridge type). Here's a Tech-Session procedure that should give you a good idea of the effort required:

<a href="http://www.tech-session.com/Paragon/Tech/944_spring_strut_replacement.htm" target="_blank">944 Strut Replacement</a>

A very good idea to replace the rears at the same time to gain that overall effect. They're quite a bit less expensive and much easier to install.

Good Luck!
Old 03-13-2002, 06:35 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote]...checking all the other failure points in the suspect area... like the control arm bushings and ball-joints, stabilizer mounts and bushings, wheel bearings, upper strut mount and bearing, tie-rods, etc. <hr></blockquote>

That’s a lot of stuff for a non-Porsche shop to have the knowledge to properly diagnose. I would take it to a shop that works on 944’s regularly.

If it is a ball-joint causing the problem you want to get it taken care of ASAP, or you might find you have a sudden lose of steering. One of mine started going bad at 75,000 miles so I replaced them both.
Old 03-13-2002, 07:42 PM
scular
Racer

It kinda sounds like the bumpsteering problem with the 911's. Is your car lowered, or have a very hard ride? If so you may need to do some adjustment to the steering setup.
Old 03-13-2002, 08:56 PM
Andre
Burning Brakes

i got the same problem man. That clank is starting to **** me off. Only happens after right turns, lefts are fine. I think it is the control arm. Not totally positive though, i need more info on how to check its my control arm or not.
Old 03-14-2002, 11:21 AM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a link to information about checking the control arm: <a href="http://www.connact.com/~kgross/FAQ/944faqca.html" target="_blank">A-arm testing & replacement</a>

I am particularly sensitive to this as I have dropped a ball joint in a Karman Ghia while driving down the road. Luckily, I was only going about 30 mph. However, I had absolutely no control over where the car was headed. The tire traveled to the top of the fender well and parts of the suspension became a temporary set of brakes by gouging groves in the asphalt. Even though I was going straight at 30 mph, it was pretty scary.
Old 03-14-2002, 12:27 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"That’s a lot of stuff for a non-Porsche shop to have the knowledge to properly diagnose. I would take it to a shop that works on 944’s regularly."

Excellent idea, if one is available. But the 944 front end, except for the aluminum lower control arms on the '85.5+ cars, is pretty much a standard McPherson strut front end, so any _competent_ & honest front-end shop, especially one that specializes in imports, should be able to do the diagnostics.

Heck, I can do it in my garage, with a floor jack, jack stands, and a pry bar....tho' I admit that I take it to a trusted & competent professional to get it comfirmed.

As always, YMMV...

Jim, "Cowboy wisdom: Never squat with your spurs on."
Old 03-14-2002, 01:52 PM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well thank you guys very much for all the advice, I have new control arms on the car, they are only about 8 months old, so it shouldnt be that. The shop is a pretty good one, although Im fairly certain that they didnt check everything Skip listed. Is there anyway I can check that stuff at home? I believe that Im going to put new struts on all four corners anyhow because it needs them, and if that doesnt solve the problem I can go from there. Thanks again for all the replies!

Quick Reply: suspension problem?