Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 11:18 PM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default feedback: gutting the car

Since I just got my car on the road, and now its completely gutted with 2 Racetech 4000's and a Redline bar and a 6-point G-Force harness on each side, wanted to give you guys my impressions (for what it's worth)

in one word, I want to say that it's AWESOME

at least to me

YES it's LOUD inside, and YES you will hear every little tiny rock bouncing off the bottom of the car/exhaust

BUT, car is MUCH easier to control, braking, acceleration, everything has better feel to it - at least in my opinion

we were driving on a freeway with the roof off and Alpine CD player with volume on 7 and didn't even care about the road/car noise anymore

I am VERY impressed with how the car handles now though, and suspension/sway bars are still all stock, I can't wait to get some tweaking done!

things removed: tools, ALL carpet, ALL sound dampening, ALL rear panels, A/C delete with under-dash delete

things to do in future: fiberglass fenders, bumpers, hood, stationary headlight conversion kit

also, my home-made A/C delete/alternator bracket is working out great so far ... if anyone wants to see, I can take a picture
Old 09-17-2010, 11:27 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

come on, give us interior shots
Old 09-17-2010, 11:28 PM
I_am_imprezed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you scrape that black coating off the floor? It's probably heavier than the sound deadning, carpeting, and tools combined. It's a PITA to get off but saves a lot of weight.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:22 AM
aben8057
Drifting

Roman,

Do you mind posting pics of the AC delete bracket? Also, what parts from the AC did you remove from under the dash?

Thanx...
Old 09-18-2010, 11:00 AM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

he drives an early car. m guess is he removed all of the ac related interior bits:

with ac

without:

Old 09-18-2010, 11:13 AM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Post some pictures dude!
Old 09-18-2010, 06:23 PM
roman944
Drifting

yup, looks like that, except that the holes in the firewall are not plugged yet

I found out that Lowe's has some cool plugs, and they can be like "bottle caps" or completely solid, which is very nice

I also forgot to mention - that my car has NO suspension modifications as of yet, the only thing is - it's manual steering

and I want to add, that before, manual steering took a little effort to make the turn, back out, or w/e

now, it's so light, I can do things without care, it's so easy to drive!

the only thing is, you DO have to get used to the noise; I think if someone really wanted to, they could throw some dynamat on and light carpet fabric, or SecondSkin spray on sound dampner ... these are MUCH more efficient then what they had available 30 years ago

my A/C delete bracket is from FastGuys

I need to finish my "van/emissions" delete now ... I can't remember who/when/where/how told me how to plug the hose for the carbon canister

car idles a bit rough at first w/o emissions, but giving it some gas to like 1500rpm for like 10-15secs solves this problem

also, my new "home made" A/C/alternator bracket is working out great so far, battery is recharging, belt doesn't squeal (only if it gets wet), and I saved myself $70 by not buying the "alternator strut"

I also need to figure out a way to hold the center console in place, get some kind of weather stripping to make the "hack job" I did look a little better, and I'll probably put a screw through it to the center tunnel, there's nothing but 4 (more like 2) tiny screws holing it now, lol

also, guys that have just 2 front speakers - and try to do this - I'd say get another set of rear speakers, that will help "fight the noise"

interior is bare, just seats, harness, and rollbar, I wonder if Rennline still has a sale on their track mats ...
Old 09-18-2010, 06:33 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I eventually plan on stripping my interior clean then adding lightweight carpet and matting to finish it off.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:47 PM
87_944s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roman944
yup, looks like that, except that the holes in the firewall are not plugged yet

I found out that Lowe's has some cool plugs, and they can be like "bottle caps" or completely solid, which is very nice

I also forgot to mention - that my car has NO suspension modifications as of yet, the only thing is - it's manual steering

and I want to add, that before, manual steering took a little effort to make the turn, back out, or w/e

now, it's so light, I can do things without care, it's so easy to drive!

the only thing is, you DO have to get used to the noise; I think if someone really wanted to, they could throw some dynamat on and light carpet fabric, or SecondSkin spray on sound dampner ... these are MUCH more efficient then what they had available 30 years ago

my A/C delete bracket is from FastGuys

I need to finish my "van/emissions" delete now ... I can't remember who/when/where/how told me how to plug the hose for the carbon canister

car idles a bit rough at first w/o emissions, but giving it some gas to like 1500rpm for like 10-15secs solves this problem

also, my new "home made" A/C/alternator bracket is working out great so far, battery is recharging, belt doesn't squeal (only if it gets wet), and I saved myself $70 by not buying the "alternator strut"

I also need to figure out a way to hold the center console in place, get some kind of weather stripping to make the "hack job" I did look a little better, and I'll probably put a screw through it to the center tunnel, there's nothing but 4 (more like 2) tiny screws holing it now, lol

also, guys that have just 2 front speakers - and try to do this - I'd say get another set of rear speakers, that will help "fight the noise"

interior is bare, just seats, harness, and rollbar, I wonder if Rennline still has a sale on their track mats ...
+1 On the Fast guys A/C delete bracket, its a very nice part weighing in at just 9oz. http://fastguys.com/944-ac-delete-br...8ebeecf22f5ecb

Eon S.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:07 PM
roman944
Drifting

Yup!

I haven't held any A/C delete brackets before, but by the looks of it, their bracket looks the lightest, sot hat's what I decided to go with (plus, the price is REALLY nice too, compared to others out there)

I was actually thinking of taking a crack at making my own, before I saw their bracket

the only thing is that with early cars you are going to have a little trouble mounting alternator on the bottom to the alternator strut, mine was frozen and broke, and I didn't want to buy another one, lol, $70 for a piece of metal that just sits there ... hahah!

Alex - you won't regret doing it! if it were me, I would go with some kind of a spray on sound dampening

if your car still has rubber undercoating, I would not bother putting sound dampening anywhere except the center tunnel ... the loudest noise comes from little rocks bouncing off the exhaust ... but I don't mind, LOL
Old 09-18-2010, 07:10 PM
catamax944
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am doing something similar but going for a factory look also,i'm building a CS replica. ps:How much weight can be saved by going from manual sunroof to sunroof delete ?
Old 09-18-2010, 07:20 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

I told you how to do the canister delete. When I get to my "real" computer I will try and dig it up. All it does is clean things up a little.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:31 PM
roman944
Drifting

Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
I told you how to do the canister delete. When I get to my "real" computer I will try and dig it up. All it does is clean things up a little.
that was you? I can't find that PM anymore, and I didn't bookmark if it was in a thread

and, thanks!
Old 09-18-2010, 08:33 PM
roman944
Drifting

Originally Posted by catamax944
I am doing something similar but going for a factory look also,i'm building a CS replica. ps:How much weight can be saved by going from manual sunroof to sunroof delete ?
the sunroof delete - if its a fiberglass part you are talking about, weighs something really light like a couple of pounds maybe ... stock roof is pretty heavy

not sure if removing the inside panel would do anything

plus, this is one part that I really don't want to do, if I have to, I'll just take the roof off
Old 09-19-2010, 12:44 AM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Originally Posted by roman944
that was you? I can't find that PM anymore, and I didn't bookmark if it was in a thread

and, thanks!
i went through my pm's and it looks like we just discussed emissions testing and filters for the fuel tank vent line.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1574_200271574

i replied to the "how to" question in a thread for future reference. after some searching i dug it up. if anything in unclear, let me know.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-delete-2.html

Quick Reply: feedback: gutting the car