Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Late AC hard line delete

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 09:14 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roman944
ok got my hard lines out

1) remove glove box
2) remove under dash

these things only have a couple of screws

undid the lines that are behind dash

cut the lines by the firewall

unscrew 2 clamps that hold the lines, right next to when the lines go through firewall

then wiggle and wrestle with them to get them out

pretty easy

now, my dash is still apart, anything else under dash I can remove while its apart anyways, that's A/C related? I want to keep the heat
take this out:

leave this in:

there is going to be a pigtail the comes off the harness that these relays are on. unplug the evaporator at that spot. there is also a second ground wire that comes off with the evaporator.

when you are done it basically looks like this without the bottom of the dash (i still have one line to cut and pull out)

the only real "unsightly" part of leaving the bottom of the dash out is the side of the center console. i may make a cover for this:

you will also have two vacuum lines to plug. one goes through the firewall and then to a "T" fitting. i just removed it and replaced the lines going into the other ends of the "T" with i single line (it goes to the brake booster)

the second one goes somewhere behind the blower motor, i just capped this one off and everything works.

if you have any questions, let me know.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:20 PM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

so the whole thing that's behind the glove box has to come out? everything except the harness? that's the DME relay on the far right correct?

I got everything A/C related that was under the hood out already

vacuum lines that are under the hood? rubber hoses? those are out, I'll be following Krystar's advice here:

except I will have another line going to AAV from j-boot, and then from AAV to the front of the intake manifold; and another hose from bung at the back of intake manifold to brake booster - this is correct?

thanks!
Old 06-06-2010, 02:25 AM
tblofsky
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes. this is exactly how i run mine. runs perfect
Old 06-07-2010, 12:07 PM
roman944
Drifting

what is the stuff on the driver's side of the engine bay, at the firewall?

appears to be some other type of vacuum stuff

have 2 small vacuum lines going to it and a (high?) compression hose that goes into the fender?

and which electrical parts should I keep and which can be removed/cut off after the big stuff under the dash is gone?

I can unplug the 2 small vacuum lines correct?

Last edited by roman944; 06-07-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:03 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

what is the stuff on the driver's side of the engine bay, at the firewall?

appears to be some other type of vacuum stuff

have 2 small vacuum lines going to it and a (high?) compression hose that goes into the fender?

and which electrical parts should I keep and which can be removed/cut off after the big stuff under the dash is gone?

I can unplug the 2 small vacuum lines correct?
the stuff on the drivers side is the evap system. the line going to the fender goes to a charcoal canister. the whole system can be removed. you will just have to vent the gas tank. i just cut the line coming off the tank and put a tiny briggs and straton fuel filter on it. (just to keep things clean)

you wont have to cut any electrical. the evaporator will just unplug from the relays i pictured and you will have to take one ground off of the ground point there. you will also have to pull the center part of the dash and unplug the harness from the ac control ****. its all pretty straight forward.

one vacuum line will go to the engine compartment. i completely removed that one. the other goes behind the climate control. i didnt see the beginning of that one so i just cut it short and capped it off for now.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:16 PM
roman944
Drifting

Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
the stuff on the drivers side is the evap system. the line going to the fender goes to a charcoal canister. the whole system can be removed. you will just have to vent the gas tank. i just cut the line coming off the tank and put a tiny briggs and straton fuel filter on it. (just to keep things clean)

you wont have to cut any electrical. the evaporator will just unplug from the relays i pictured and you will have to take one ground off of the ground point there. you will also have to pull the center part of the dash and unplug the harness from the ac control ****. its all pretty straight forward.

one vacuum line will go to the engine compartment. i completely removed that one. the other goes behind the climate control. i didnt see the beginning of that one so i just cut it short and capped it off for now.
Cool. So I will replace the line between the brake booster and the black canister on passenger's side with a straight line.

Unplugging that whole "wire plug" mess sounds great. I still get both fans and heat though, correct?

What exactly is a charcoal canister? Since its fuel related, I would hate to mess something up, unless its like this other stuff and is "dummy proof"
Old 06-07-2010, 11:22 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Cool. So I will replace the line between the brake booster and the black canister on passenger's side with a straight line.

Unplugging that whole "wire plug" mess sounds great. I still get both fans and heat though, correct?

What exactly is a charcoal canister? Since its fuel related, I would hate to mess something up, unless its like this other stuff and is "dummy proof"
yup, i have full fans and heat. i didnt even cover the ac hole on the mixing chamber. everything still works fine.

the charcoal system is for emissions. its not "fuel related" its just a fancy way to vent the fuel vapors into the intake. without it, your fuel vapors just vent into the air. there is no fear in messing it up. just cap off the vacuum line and put some sort of filter on the fuel tank "vent" line.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:07 AM
roman944
Drifting

Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
yup, i have full fans and heat. i didnt even cover the ac hole on the mixing chamber. everything still works fine.

the charcoal system is for emissions. its not "fuel related" its just a fancy way to vent the fuel vapors into the intake. without it, your fuel vapors just vent into the air. there is no fear in messing it up. just cap off the vacuum line and put some sort of filter on the fuel tank "vent" line.
I just sent you a PM

which line would I cap off and where is the vent line? one of those small air filters would work?

thanks!
Old 06-08-2010, 12:16 AM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

pm replied.

i am gong off memory here, so cut me some slack if i am wrong.

1. remove charcoal canister from fender.
2. remove garbage from drivers side near fire wall.
3. plug vacuum line off of the thermal switch under the intake manifold.
4. plug larger line that goes to j boot.
5. cut vent line by fuel tank.
6. remove cut portion of line (runs length of car)
7. add briggs filter to vent line to keep fuel tank clean. (a small air filter can work)

depending on your state, this COULD cause emissions inspection issues. here in iowa about anything goes

Quick Reply: Late AC hard line delete