Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 12:45 AM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh, you owe me pictures now
Old 09-19-2010, 08:17 AM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
oh, you owe me pictures now
lol

ok, as soon as sun comes out

and that's the filter I got, that part I remember, lol

and, bookmarked!

I don't think I have any vac lines connecting canister to anything anymore, and that vac pump or w/e on passenger's side is disconnected too, so I'm half-way there? lol
Old 09-22-2010, 07:05 PM
roman944
Drifting

wanted to bump, I remember I owe you all pics, I'll take them once I get a few things out of the way

we were able to change and put in a low-temp (71*) thermostat and fan-switch in, trying to bleed the system again right now

it's kinda-sorta raining

I also redid some of the vacuum line stuff and took out canister on the passenger side and hoses going to it - now I have small hose to the brake booster

simplifies things A LOT

lol
Old 09-22-2010, 07:11 PM
CorsePerVita
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pics. Or I will eat your shoes.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:05 PM
roman944
Drifting

oh man, I got the quirks worked out, I'll get some pics by the weekend!
Old 09-22-2010, 09:46 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Originally Posted by roman944
wanted to bump, I remember I owe you all pics, I'll take them once I get a few things out of the way

we were able to change and put in a low-temp (71*) thermostat and fan-switch in, trying to bleed the system again right now

it's kinda-sorta raining

I also redid some of the vacuum line stuff and took out canister on the passenger side and hoses going to it - now I have small hose to the brake booster

simplifies things A LOT

lol
good to hear you got all that garbage out.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:00 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

the sunroof delete - if its a fiberglass part you are talking about, weighs something really light like a couple of pounds maybe ... stock roof is pretty heavy

not sure if removing the inside panel would do anything

plus, this is one part that I really don't want to do, if I have to, I'll just take the roof off

Why not just gut the roof panel and glass it in? I will sell you the one off my car that was siliconed in REAL CHEAP before I reworked it if that helps you. Have transplanted the parts car roof in already. PM me if you want to go that route.

Fiberglasing is not that hard, reglassing some box rockers I picked up last week as we speak. Just some sanding. prep, and glassing. You can get what you need at Autozone to do the job.

michael
Old 09-22-2010, 10:47 PM
roman944
Drifting

I don't know, I kind of like having the roof I can remove etc

this might be the only thing that I'm not wiling to compromise on, LOL

'bird - question for you - carbon canister is inside the driver's fender well, on the inside under the hood at the same spot - driver's side firewall corner - there are a couple of things with various vac lines going to it and from it - I got everything off, except for 1 line that goes to the J-boot - do I just plug it closed at the J-boot? re-rout it to something else?

I'll finish this weekend

also, apparently, my spark plugs weren't "spaced" right - we just fixed it, and car idles MUCH better now!
Old 09-22-2010, 11:36 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

i recall capping off something at the j boot but i would have to look at my car tomorrow to confirm.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:30 AM
roman944
Drifting

thanks! would really like to know so I can finally finish this

my brother said that there are scales somewhere around here (within 2-3 miles) - so we'll probably take the car there and see where it stands at the moment ...
Old 09-23-2010, 11:41 AM
MichaelK
Instructor

Originally Posted by F40LM
Why not just gut the roof panel and glass it in? I will sell you the one off my car that was siliconed in REAL CHEAP before I reworked it if that helps you. Have transplanted the parts car roof in already. PM me if you want to go that route.

Fiberglasing is not that hard, reglassing some box rockers I picked up last week as we speak. Just some sanding. prep, and glassing. You can get what you need at Autozone to do the job.

michael
I am interested in this idea. Do you just get a piece of glass the right size and glue it in with some silicone caulk or is there more to it?
Old 09-23-2010, 11:47 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MichaelK
I am interested in this idea. Do you just get a piece of glass the right size and glue it in with some silicone caulk or is there more to it?
Making a negative mold of the roof panel would take more time and effort, but end up with a better finished product, and then bonding it to the roof of the car using epoxy resin for the FG.. smooth it all out and it will look like it came that way origionally...

you could also make a negative mold of the entire roof, with the sunroof in place, resmooth the roof to whatever end profile you wanted, then mold it in place of the metal (cut away all the metal) and end up with a FG roof that would look however you wanted it to...

funny thing with FG is the end product will only look as good as the effort put in to make it look good... I have seen great FG work, and shoddy FG work, both starting with the same pieces...
Old 09-23-2010, 02:27 PM
MichaelK
Instructor

I think I misread or misunderstood glass and fiberglass. I was thinking that a clear glass insert up there would be nice from the inside even if it wasn't great from the outside.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
funny thing with FG is the end product will only look as good as the effort put in to make it look good... I have seen great FG work, and shoddy FG work, both starting with the same pieces...
You got that right. Even some of the 1980s Corvettes were full of waves and ripples if you look at their doors from behind. Hot tubs are better made than older Corvette bodies!
Old 09-23-2010, 07:32 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

'bird - question for you - carbon canister is inside the driver's fender well, on the inside under the hood at the same spot - driver's side firewall corner - there are a couple of things with various vac lines going to it and from it - I got everything off, except for 1 line that goes to the J-boot - do I just plug it closed at the J-boot? re-rout it to something else?
roman,

ive got a cap on the fitting that comes out of the j boot. you will want to cap this off to prevent a vacuum leak and to prevent unfiltered air from entering the engine.

Quick Reply: feedback: gutting the car