Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Must Read List?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 03:07 AM
skippymcware
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Must Read List?

Hey guys,
I have been trying to absorb as much information as I can off this board, in the classes I am taking, and by talking to as many people as I can, but it just isn't enough. I have heard a lot of book titles float around this board, but have never got my act together enough to write them down. I know you mentioned one, Geo, called Tune to Win. Are there any others that are good bets? What would you guys suggest I read to learn more of the advanced theory about car dynamics and such? I am interested in pretty much the whole deal... Suspension, aero, engine, slicks...
Thanks in advance.
-Jake
Old 10-17-2002, 01:56 PM
Jonathan Martini
Instructor

bump.

I'm a bookworm myself and would be interested in any suggested reading.

The more technical the better.

Being an engineer the manual just isn't enough. I don't want to know just how to fix it, I want to know why it was made this way. Any M.E.'s that want to recommend engine/suspension design books, that would be great too.

I'm also interested in books on racing technique, although perhaps the racing forum would be a better place to ask for that list.
Old 10-17-2002, 02:03 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Going Faster by Skip Barber
Old 10-17-2002, 03:06 PM
Matt
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Going Faster is excellent. In fact, I reread some of it while on the can this morning. (tell me if that's more than you wanted to know...)

Also very worthwhile is Carroll Smith's "To Win" series - "Tune to Win", "Drive to Win", etc. Lots of good technical info, and he's an entertaining writer.

Mark Donohue's "The Unfair Advantage" is a great read too.

Matt
Old 10-17-2002, 03:22 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Here are some good books on suspension:

"How to make your car handle" - Fred Puhn
"Performance Handling" - Don Alexander.
Old 10-17-2002, 03:27 PM
Enzo's Nightmare
Burning Brakes

I alsorecommend "The Unfair Advantage" and Carroll Smith's books. You will find others for sale in Performance Products, Tweeks...Also look on Bentley Publishing's site <a href="http://www.bentleypublishers.com" target="_blank">http://www.bentleypublishers.com</a> They seem to have something for everyone.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:10 PM
skippymcware
Advanced

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am a M.E. myself, so the more technical the better. I am going to go out and pick some of these up ASAP. The SAE program has taught me a lot, but there is only so much cross-over from open wheeled track cars. Thanks again... Keep 'em coming if you have any more.
-Jake
Old 10-17-2002, 08:22 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

[quote]Originally posted by skippymcware:
<strong>I am a M.E. myself, so the more technical the better. I am going to go out and pick some of these up ASAP</strong><hr></blockquote>

In that case, you might as well cut right to the chase and read Milliken's 900 page <a href="http://www.millikenresearch.com/rcvd.html" target="_blank">"Race Car Vehicle Dynamics."</a> This is pretty much considered the defintive technical work on the subject. It looks like he is working on an update of the 1995 version right now. That said, I've never actually touched it.

Old 10-17-2002, 08:26 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

[quote]Originally posted by Matt:
<strong>Also very worthwhile is Carroll Smith's "To Win" series - "Tune to Win", "Drive to Win", etc. Lots of good technical info, and he's an entertaining writer.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is a good series of books and Carroll makes it an interesting read. I had trouble paying attention in my engineering classes, but absolutely no problem in reading his fairly detailed writings on metallurgy in "Engineer to Win." Be sure to take Carroll's insistent manner with a grain of salt. The book in the "to Win" series that makes me smile is "Nuts, Bolts, and Fasteners," commonly referred to as "Screw to Win."
Old 10-17-2002, 08:35 PM
skippymcware
Advanced

I like the looks of Milliken's book, but being a mechanical engineer I also have enough work to kill a small donkey. I would be better off trying to read "War and Peace" in my spare time. I will buy it and save it for a "relaxing" read over the summer. Carroll's books definitely look like something I could fit in, though. Sweet. Thanks Steve.
-Jake
Old 10-17-2002, 10:20 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Additional books on racing technique:

Bob Bondurant on High Performance Driving, by Bob Bondurant of course.

The Technique of Motor Racing, by Piero Tarrufi (sp?).

The last book was written in the 50s, but every book I've read on the subject suggests this book. It was the first serious book on the matter. I've never read it, but I would like to. I've also heard that it's not out of print. I don't know about that though.

For engines you could read: The Internal-Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice, by Charles Fayette Taylor. I haven't gotten around to reading it yet.
Old 10-20-2002, 06:46 PM
skippymcware
Advanced

for those interested, I just read Bob Bondurant's book on High Performance Driving. It had some good info. in it, but I felt like he was selling his book just a bit too often. The writing was also kind of poor. It seemed like he just wrote it to publicize his school. I guess, I can't blame him. The information was pretty basic. He skimmed over the complicated parts. Anyway, it was still worth the read. I will be interested to see what I think of it after I have finished Skip Barbers book.
-Jake
Old 10-20-2002, 07:10 PM
Red 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Skippy
I am kind of an information gatherer myself. I just finished Corky Bell's "Maximum Boost" not so much theory and engineering, but really well written and great reference. I'm in the Boston area, so if you ever would like to borrow a book or something, let me know. Where are you going to school?
Old 10-20-2002, 10:17 PM
skippymcware
Advanced

Hey Red,
I have been meaning to drop you an email just to say hi. I have been trying to get in touch with 944 owners in the Boston area for quite some time now. I am down in TN going to Vanderbilt, at the moment, but I have lived in Boston for my entire life, and don't plan on moving any time soon. I hear North Eastern has a 944 crowd, and I know of a few owners at WPI. Anyway, drop me an email if you want to chat. Maybe over aim even. Skippymcware is my SN.
Thanks for the reference, I will definitely look into that book.
-Jake

Quick Reply: Must Read List?