Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo kit vs Supercharger kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 04:23 PM
FabilichuS
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo kit vs Supercharger kit

I would like to just find out the difference in supercharger kit and turbocharger kit, in what is the best value for cost and also the difficulty in installing them.

I got 2 NA engines so I was thinking of try and fit one kit to the engine in the car now and see how it works/lasts and find out what went wrong if (when) something goes wrong and fix the problem and install in onto the "new" engine compleatly overhauled. I almost got all the engien parts for the overhaule and will begin it in desember/januar (Going away for 3 months now)

I will upgrade brakes to a big break kit so it can handle the power when stopping.
And install a turbo/s2 tranny and transaxle.

Kits I have found so far I would also like a list from the pro ppl of what parts I need for each system if im gonna shop peace by peace.

Turbo Kit :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...Q5fAccessories

Supercharger Kit :
http://www.speedforceracing.com/inde...productID=1029

I DO NOT WANT A TURBO ENGINE I WANT TO BUILD MY OWN AND TRY/FAIL
Old 08-16-2010, 04:29 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 652 Likes on 506 Posts

that turbo kit is the exact same product that they sell for hondas, cavaliers, toyotas...do not waste your time, money or engine with it.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:37 PM
FabilichuS
Racer

ok thx for the respons on that..
Old 08-16-2010, 04:47 PM
catamax944
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That T3/T4 turbo is chinese ,a friend of mine used one on his MR2 and the shaft broke after 2 weeks. Don't bother with that crap,what you pay is what you get.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:49 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO I'd buy used turbo parts for your NA from a good used 951.

The supercharger route is also a good option...at least for the S or S2 it's the better option.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:24 PM
luftpirate
Pro

Those ebay knockoff counterfeit turbos are garbage, as mentioned above its a total waste of money.

Do not waste your time with this project.
There are a thousand reasons not to embark on this project, but I think the nail in the coffin is tuning.

Are you willing to go full stand alone and have a professional tuner spend hours with it on the dyno ?$?$? just so it is drivable ? You could use an an FMU (Cartech/BEGI) and get okay results as far as the tuning goes but its not going to be anything near a factory tune.

Turboing an N/A is like trying to build your own UniVac so you can run DOS on it when you can buy a watch for a tenth of the price that runs Windows XP.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:31 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by luftpirate
Do not waste your time with this project.
There are a thousand reasons not to embark on this project, but I think the nail in the coffin is tuning.

Are you willing to go full stand alone and have a professional tuner spend hours with it on the dyno ?$?$? just so it is drivable ? You could use an an FMU (Cartech/BEGI) and get okay results as far as the tuning goes but its not going to be anything near a factory tune.

Turboing an N/A is like trying to build your own UniVac so you can run DOS on it when you can buy a watch for a tenth of the price that runs Windows XP.
thanks to the efforts of a certain RLer, this is not entirely the case anymore; pretty flexible 944 tuning is available for much less money than having a standalone built.

it comes down to who does the tuning and how the rest of the project is built though, sometimes even the best tune can't save the ****tiest shanghai turbo
Old 08-16-2010, 08:32 PM
FabilichuS
Racer

Well I know someone who tunes cars, so he will do the computer settings pretty cheap.... I still wanna do it to learn
Old 08-16-2010, 08:47 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

if you really want to, buy the turbo kit but find a better version of that turbo, an authentic one, and use the chinese one as a desk ornament.

then good luck getting the stuff to work.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:08 PM
FabilichuS
Racer

Well im definitily not going with the china stuff... Im gonna se if i can't find a good used kit for a 944 or something like that. If I can't find that Il have to save up for the supercharger :/
Old 08-16-2010, 10:03 PM
Cass944
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those turbos are held together with GLUE... believe me ive seen it.

if you want a turbo... http://pagparts.com/index.php?cPath=1
Old 08-17-2010, 11:06 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

If you want a project, get a cheap 951 and get it running.

If you have more cash, get a nice 951, take it apart, and put it back together.

It sounds like you're trying to chop off your foot just so you can try crutches out...
Old 08-17-2010, 11:34 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Old 08-17-2010, 11:54 AM
krystar
Drifting

the most important parts of a turbo kit.
1) turbo itself
2) turbo manifold
3) the intercooler design
that kit doesn't even HAVE a manifold.

you should not start a project by "what do i need to buy"
if u want to learn how to turbo an NA car, start with reading. understand forced induction with a turbocharger. how to read a boost map. how to calculate the optimal housing, turbine and compressor wheel sizes for your engine. different styles of turbo manifolds and effects of their different designs. internal vs external wastegate designs. side flow vs top flow intercoolers. effect of intercooler piping diameter. purpose of a BOV. recirc vs atmospheric venting. tuning AF and spoolup ignition characteristics.

once u've understood all of those topics and more, then u can start BUILDING a turbo from your NA. i won't cause i don't understand it all myself. but at least i'm aware of them.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:56 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Getting the "hard parts" ie turbo, exhaust manifold, intercooler, is actually the easy part. Custom fabrication of intercooler piping, is a bit more complicated, and requires skill to weld up the piping. It is a tight fit at best.
Bigger injectors, fuel pump, and some extra sensors take some research as matching parts to work correctly (ie low/high impedence injectors)
As for controlling all of this. Standalone is the only proper way. Piggyback systems, and controllers that "trick" your stock ecu are a waste of effort.
Research Megasquirt fuel injection. I paid $700 usd for the complete kit (sensors, harness, relay board, ecu assembled) Less than 20 wires if I recall. It does take some understanding of engines/turbo's, and some research for specs of your engine, but it can work extremely well.
I can adjust mine with a simple click of a button on my laptop. It even has some "autotune" functions to make the car driveable, then it just takes time to drive/datalog, and analyze, and tweak...over and over and over until it is tuned to YOUR driving style. A decent shop could get you 90% tuned in a matter of a couple of hours on a dyno.
Mine starts, idles, crusies better than it did with the 30yr old Bosch EFI system, and I am putting down 3 times the hp over stock.
(Not a Porsche. This is on my turbo'd Datsun 280Z) but it is not that different.

Quick Reply: Turbo kit vs Supercharger kit