Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frustration setting in....no start 944

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 05:58 PM
Quikzilver
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frustration setting in....no start 944

I am extremely frustrated and don't know what to look at next. Here is some quick history...
Replaced timing and balancing belts, water pump, and some other items, car ran great. I noticed the voltage needle was not up where it should be, so I looked at the cables. The negative cable was in bad shape, so I replaced it. While replacing the cable, I dropped the nut into the bellhousing and it locked the motor up (didn't try to start it, just tried turning the motor by hand). Luckily, I could see the nut, so with a hack saw blade, I was able to cut the nut enough for it to fall out. Motor now turns great. OK...finished up the cable, replaced the fuel filter at the same time (car was up on stands, figured I might as well). Put the car down and tried to start...cranks, doesn't start, tach doesn't bounce. So, I ordered 2 new sensors, as the old ones were original and the wires were in bad shape. Replaced the sensors, still nothing. I reset the housing, so the sensors are 0.8mm from the flywheel and nothing. Today, I checked the DME relay, using the Clark's Garage instructions and found that the DME relay is gone. OK...got to order that. But, then I decided to make a bypass harness to check the car to see if it would start...still nothing! WTF!!! It is a good thing I don't have dynamite, as I am tempted to blow this thing up! Tach needle still doesn't bounce, except when you first turn to crank the motor it pops up a little and then sits at the bottom. The fuel filter is mounted correctly (in is in, out is out), but I am not getting fuel to the injectors, nor am I getting any spark. Only thing I am getting is air. I have it traced to the DME (I think I am in the right area that is not working). The relay is not doing a thing, so that will definitely need to be replaced. My concern now is that when I tried to jump the DME computer with the emergency harness on Clarks Garage, it is still acting the same. Tach bounces slightly on first turn of key and then sits, while the motor is cranking. HELP!! Any ideas or areas to look into would be great! I am about to the point of selling all 3 of my cars (the 944, my 08 Corvette 418 stroker and my 86 Monte Carlo SS) and buying a new Camaro and be done with all of the headaches from all the cars. By the way, my 944 is a 1987 NA. Thanks in advance!!!
Old 08-14-2010, 06:18 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

at some point you could change the thread title to, "any 944 techs in Palm Beach County, sugestions ?" ... add tow truck... might be the better option if you trade your time for capital in the working world. you can barter some of that by introducing new blood into the mix. even when you normally kick ***.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:52 PM
RC713
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 49 Posts

Do you know anyone local that would let you try swapping in their good DME? You'll know if that's your problem after that. Or, you'll cook their DME and end up needing to order two... The second scenario is probably far less likely. Checked your grounds? I was reading a thread not too long ago about the magic of cleaning up ones grounds, apparently cures a wide array of ills.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:10 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you check the fuel pump fuse? i had a no start the other day because the fuse blew.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:54 PM
Bart
Nordschleife Master

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Had that happen to a guy at the track last weekend. He missed his whole track day because of a fuse that LOOKED good but the ends had corroded and not making connection. No power to the pump.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:11 PM
944CS
Drifting

Cut the shielding off of the speed and reference sensor harness and you'll see the crack in the wire/wires that is causing your no start.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:24 PM
RC713
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 49 Posts

If 944CS is right, thinking it's a pretty good chance, you can pick up one of these for $100. Mine just came this week, will be installing next weekend.

http://www.paragon-products.com/Harn...44-har-ref.htm
Old 08-14-2010, 08:48 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Long shot guess not mentioned yet, easily checked. You mentioned locking up the motor. Is the flywheel set screw (in the side of the flywheel) still there and not sheared off?
Old 08-14-2010, 11:27 PM
luftpirate
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you are experiencing it completely normal. Welcome to our particular brand of insanity.

Try thumping on DME while cranking.

Originally Posted by Quikzilver
I am extremely frustrated and don't know what to look at next. Here is some quick history...
Replaced timing and balancing belts, water pump, and some other items, car ran great. I noticed the voltage needle was not up where it should be, so I looked at the cables. The negative cable was in bad shape, so I replaced it. While replacing the cable, I dropped the nut into the bellhousing and it locked the motor up (didn't try to start it, just tried turning the motor by hand). Luckily, I could see the nut, so with a hack saw blade, I was able to cut the nut enough for it to fall out. Motor now turns great. OK...finished up the cable, replaced the fuel filter at the same time (car was up on stands, figured I might as well). Put the car down and tried to start...cranks, doesn't start, tach doesn't bounce. So, I ordered 2 new sensors, as the old ones were original and the wires were in bad shape. Replaced the sensors, still nothing. I reset the housing, so the sensors are 0.8mm from the flywheel and nothing. Today, I checked the DME relay, using the Clark's Garage instructions and found that the DME relay is gone. OK...got to order that. But, then I decided to make a bypass harness to check the car to see if it would start...still nothing! WTF!!! It is a good thing I don't have dynamite, as I am tempted to blow this thing up! Tach needle still doesn't bounce, except when you first turn to crank the motor it pops up a little and then sits at the bottom. The fuel filter is mounted correctly (in is in, out is out), but I am not getting fuel to the injectors, nor am I getting any spark. Only thing I am getting is air. I have it traced to the DME (I think I am in the right area that is not working). The relay is not doing a thing, so that will definitely need to be replaced. My concern now is that when I tried to jump the DME computer with the emergency harness on Clarks Garage, it is still acting the same. Tach bounces slightly on first turn of key and then sits, while the motor is cranking. HELP!! Any ideas or areas to look into would be great! I am about to the point of selling all 3 of my cars (the 944, my 08 Corvette 418 stroker and my 86 Monte Carlo SS) and buying a new Camaro and be done with all of the headaches from all the cars. By the way, my 944 is a 1987 NA. Thanks in advance!!!
Old 08-14-2010, 11:46 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i believe Ian from 944online will check your DME for you for free. (you pay shipping too and from)
Old 08-15-2010, 01:26 AM
Quikzilver
Advanced

Reference Sensors are new...tried them first.
I will check the flywheel set screw...how many should be there? I know I counted at least 2, but will check again. I will also check the fuel pump fuse to make sure there is no corrosion. I know the fuses are good, just never checked for corrosion (ohm tested them).
Keep the ideas coming! Thanks!!!!
Old 08-15-2010, 11:45 AM
Mello
Rennlist Member

I believe 944CS meant the harness side of the reference sensors, meaning the plugs that the new reference sensors are plugged into. Those are known to fail. Having someone wiggle those wires while you crank, and it might even start the car up. Happened on my friend's car. He had to wiggle the wires every so often until his mechanic fixed the harness. It seems the connection is only important when starting the car, as the car never stalled once started.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bart
Had that happen to a guy at the track last weekend. He missed his whole track day because of a fuse that LOOKED good but the ends had corroded and not making connection. No power to the pump.
Oddly enough thats how my fuse went, i had just finished my last run of the autocross, went to restart it and the fuse finished letting go. It chared one end of the fuse pretty bad too. Poor plastic never had a chance.

Quick Reply: Frustration setting in....no start 944