Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires what do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never knew hot women paid much attention to tires... maybe size does make a difference? If you really plan to drive in snow, get real snow tires at least for the rear of the car. They do make a world of difference in traction. I don't necessarily buy the 'you have to put them on the front too'. With decent all-season tires on the front I never had an issues with front tires breaking loose too easily. I haven't seen any back to back testing that proves snow tires on the front (of a RWD car) are significantly better. It could be a conspiracy cooked up by snow tire dealers....
Old 08-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike C.
I never knew hot women paid much attention to tires... maybe size does make a difference? If you really plan to drive in snow, get real snow tires at least for the rear of the car. They do make a world of difference in traction. I don't necessarily buy the 'you have to put them on the front too'. With decent all-season tires on the front I never had an issues with front tires breaking loose too easily. I haven't seen any back to back testing that proves snow tires on the front (of a RWD car) are significantly better. It could be a conspiracy cooked up by snow tire dealers....
You're joking, right?

Maybe they didn't teach physics where you went to school?

If you plan to drive in the snow, or any limited traction situation - you want appropriate tires. Oh - by the way - my girfriend has pointed out the obvious: traction is good for steering too.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:41 PM
tony4x4nc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kumho Ecsta ASX
Was my daily driver in Colorado
Snow driving = awesome time!
Old 08-05-2010, 10:45 PM
P. Ortiz
Advanced

Originally Posted by 86 924S Driver
That tire I posted gets great reviews. I can't get a summer tire because of the season we get here in KC. I'm going to drive this thing to work when there is 7 inches of snow on the ground, It will be for when the snow hits you that it can still move and drive well. A lot of people seem to like that conti tire.
If you will be using this car in winter and summer, I HIGHLY recommend getting an extra set of wheels and narrow, high-quality snow tires for the winter. In 2005, while still living in Buffalo, N.Y., I bought a new BMW 3-series with sport package. The car came with a set of great handling 225/17 Continental W-rated summer tires. As soon as the winter snow came, it was tough to get up and down my driveway in a just a few inches of snow. Driving on roads was plain dangerous. Traction and predictability was practically non-existent. A set of four used steel wheels mounted with fairly well-used Blizzaks that I found for sale, made a night and day difference in traction and balance on the slippery roads. The only reason that I purchased a used set was because I knew that I would be moving to Florida in the spring. Really, if you plan to use this car year-round, getting the right tires for winter and the right ones for summer is the way to go. it's too good a car to compromise your enjoyment, whatever the season. Best wishes to you, whatever you decide.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:45 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,253 Posts

I don't necessarily buy the 'you have to put them on the front too'. With decent all-season tires on the front I never had an issues with front tires breaking loose too easily. I haven't seen any back to back testing that proves snow tires on the front (of a RWD car) are significantly better. It could be a conspiracy cooked up by snow tire dealers....

OMG......haven't laughed that hard in years.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:39 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like the Pilot Sport A/S+, 215/55 VR16 on 7" rims all around. Great in the rain even when it's cold out. I still do run snow tires in the winter though.

I have these on the C4 too. Also great, but the fronts are noisy on that car for some reason.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ort+A%2FS+Plus
Old 08-05-2010, 11:49 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

On my old 924S I had some 205/60's Traction T/A's and it did pretty good in the snow. Never really got stuck.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:45 AM
Mike C.
Drifting

Different things are happening at each end of the car.. I'm not sure snow tires are better for lateral traction. I'd like to see so testing that's all.. If we were talking awd I wouldn't question it.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:16 AM
P. Ortiz
Advanced

Different things are happening at each end of the car.. I'm not sure snow tires are better for lateral traction. I'd like to see so testing that's all.. If we were talking awd I wouldn't question it.
I've never seen any formal testing, but here's my take: I spent 33 years driving through Buffalo winters with a wide variety of vehicles and with varying tire combinations. Like you, I was never quite convinced of the need for 4 snow tires...until year #33 when I actually bought a set and used them on my rwd BMW. The set that I bought was used and half worn-out but still...what a difference they made! Like day and night. I think that 4-corner snows are especially important on a rear-drive car because there's significant action that requires traction (acceleration & steering) at each end of the car. The 4-wheel snows restore balance and predictability. Even when sliding, the dynamics are dry-road predictable and that translates to safety and driver confidence.

I think of it this way; slippery roads represent an exageration of power and speed. Even a golf cart can break the tires loose on ice and you can be very involved in the driving at only 20mph when conditions are slippery. If you compare that sensation of power and the need for applied driving skills to say, racing, it's a slow-motion equivalent to having a high-powered car on a track where you have to watch-out for over/understeering and use of throttle must be carefully measured. Here's where I'm going: you wouldn't think of having mismatched tires on your track car doing 100+ mph because the dynamics are greatly affected. Having mismatched tires on a rwd car used in snow just magnifies and brings the negative handling qualities of doing so down to a much slower speed. That's what I learned when I finally started using 4 snows. It's just a memory now though, because I live in Florida these days. Take care.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:25 AM
krystar
Drifting

if you are driving in 7 inches of unplowed snow...an all season tire won't cut it. you need winter snow tires. blizzaks are awesome!
Old 08-06-2010, 01:59 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Unplowed snow is much better for traction than plowed and packed down...
Old 08-06-2010, 02:29 PM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I live in area that gets constantly plowed. And anyone who lived in Rochester/Buffalo/Syracuse knows how much salt gets put on our roads up here. All-seasons work, most of the time. But if there is going to be a set of cheap snows, I'd consider them as well!
Old 08-06-2010, 03:23 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Unplowed snow is much better for traction than plowed and packed down...

i was able to reach 100~105 mph during a heavy snow on the maine turnpike in my gf's audi 90 back in 1989. after two unsuccessful attempts, the third try was the charm...

(it was during my spunkier days -- -- much thanks to the unplowed snow).
Old 08-18-2010, 06:31 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Bump

Has anyone run the Goodyear Eagle GT's? they look like a good tire but have some really good review or some really bad ones. Its rated about 3.5 stars where as the Continental Tire has 4.5 stars and has mostly good reviews.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:44 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 16" boxter wheeels on my 924S. 205/55, 225/50. I chose the Falken Ziex 912 all season performance tire. I get a lot of different weather conditions and have been happy with them so far. They may not satisfy your cosmetic needs but I like the look on the 924 w/ staggered 16" wheels.

Quick Reply: Tires what do you recommend?