Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Porsche, Need a little help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 12:58 AM
pepegurr
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy New to Porsche, Need a little help.

I recently aquired a 1985.5 944 N/A in rough shape and I am slowly returning her to life. The PO had left her in such sad shape it was a mees but it is coming along nicely now. I have ran into a bit of trouble now that I am ready to start her for the first time. The first thing I did was replace the timing set per the FSM due to the unknown condition/age of the previous belts. After several turns it is in time perfectly. It will not start, I have checked- fuel pressure at the rail, it has spark, all the fuses/relays are in working order, it turns over fine(well it did until the starter went whilst trying to get it to run), it will pop off but not actually run. Now while I am waitng to get a new starter I figured I would get some input as to possible solutions, tests to run, etc. Any insight you guys could offer would be hugely beneficial and greatly appreciated.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:03 AM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first thing i'd do is tap on the fuel injectors near where they go into the engine with a screwdriver and a hammer (lightly, just to give them a jolt, don't break them!). If the injectors are clogged, this should help tremendously. Also, watch for the tach to bounce when you're cranking, if it doesn't move then you're reference/speed sensors need to be replaced...they may need replacement anyway, but that will help you determine what all is bad and what is good.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:17 AM
pepegurr
AutoX

Thank you very much, I will try those things. I see that you have a V8 swapped Porsche, I am seriously considering this if I cannot get this motor going. I have looked at the kit from renegade but I cannot justify the cost myself, plus I already have a 347 stoker out of my last mustang just sitting around. Did you use a kit or fab everything yourself?
Old 08-03-2010, 01:17 AM
till_that_day
Instructor

After the injectors, I would give it a little shot of starting fluid and see what it does. If nothing still do a full compression test on it.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:18 AM
pepegurr
AutoX

Also, does anyone know what style injectors these are? i.e. high/low impedance?
Old 08-03-2010, 01:47 AM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pepegurr
Thank you very much, I will try those things. I see that you have a V8 swapped Porsche, I am seriously considering this if I cannot get this motor going. I have looked at the kit from renegade but I cannot justify the cost myself, plus I already have a 347 stoker out of my last mustang just sitting around. Did you use a kit or fab everything yourself?
Originally Posted by pepegurr
Also, does anyone know what style injectors these are? i.e. high/low impedance?
oooOOOooo, if i remember correctly they are low impedance, but i could be remembering the chevy injectors, might want to google that one to see if you can get a definite answer.

Stay away from renegade if you do want to go with the swap route, renegade's stuff is trash, i have their bellhousing and clutch kit, and the second i have some money, i'm going to pull it and sell it on ebay or throw it in the trash...the stuff works and i personally haven't had any problems with it yet, but i don't trust it at all after seeing some of the problems people have had with it. Go ahead and start checking out 944hybrids.forumotion.com, there are a bunch of good people and good links there for parts and reference
Old 08-04-2010, 12:40 PM
pepegurr
AutoX

Thanks for the link for the swap. I did find out that the factory injectors in the N/A are 2.1 ohm, 243cc , low impedance injectors. This is a good thing because I have some that I can use off of another car I can use if all else fails. I also did some looking into the swap, it seems my best choice is to go with a bellhousing from a C5 vette, which also works out because a friend happens to have one laying around he is going to give me.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:06 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

yup, c5 bellhousing with an adapter is the best route, you can bolt that BH onto any small block chevy motor, from old school to LS
Old 08-04-2010, 02:49 PM
MichaelK
Instructor

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fuel-...#ht_5093wt_827

That auction has a list of cross references for the injectors on the 944. Not sure how accurate it is but they have a good rating so if they were off they would likely fix it.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:27 AM
pepegurr
AutoX

Well, I got it fired up last night. Now a new problem, First, it runs rough, almost like it is skipping but it clears up if I can get it above 1500 RPM, it also seems to be flooding at times, leaning out badly at others. It was holding fuel pressure at first but now it wont hold pressure for more than 20-30 seconds so im gonna get rid of the factory setup and run my own pressure regulator to see if that fixes the fueling issues. Next, I have a warning light on, on the dash. How do I find out what is triggering this light?
Old 08-08-2010, 09:35 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

What light? is it the "!" ?

Have you tried the Clark's Garage site as a reference?

http://www.clarks-garage.com/
Old 08-08-2010, 09:52 AM
pepegurr
AutoX

yea , it is the "!" light. I know there is supposed to be another light on with this one but none of the other lights are on.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:00 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the parking brake set?
Old 08-08-2010, 10:07 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by J Berk
Is the parking brake set?

i killed my "!" light... simply removed the instruments and defeated that light after it came on during hard cornering and down half a quart of oil just prior to a scheduled oil change... now, i run mobil 1, keep the oil topped off and rely on the guages as any good driver would do.... but, unlike your car, mine has never run rough or broken down.

in what area of the country are we talking about ?

maybe there's a good rennlister/tech in your area who can offer a leg up on the fuel issues causing the "choppy" idle.

and keep some of the thoughts from the following thread in mind....

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-yo-944-a.html

/
Attached Images  

Last edited by odurandina; 08-08-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:18 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Before you go making sweeping changes to the factory system, give the fuel system some time to clean up. With fresh gas in it, put some Techron, Gumout, or similar fuel injector cleaner in the tank. Try pulsing the injectors one by one directly off the battery, with no fuel pressure. Give each one quick little bursts of power until they click audibly. Hot-wire the fuel pump and let it run for 5 minutes, then put vacuum to the FPR with a hand pump, make it stroke a couple of times. I've brought two 944's back to life after very long "resting periods" with this procedure. Even so it took some run time to clean up completely.

Quick Reply: New to Porsche, Need a little help.