Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have problems with SFR 3" exhaust and half shaft clearance

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 05:30 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Anyone have problems with SFR 3" exhaust and half shaft clearance

I just installed my new 3" SFR cat back exhaust and noticed that when the suspension is at 75% - 100% droop, the exhasut pipe rubs against my half shaft. When the car is sitting level and the suspension is a stock position, I get about 7/8" clearance between the half shaft and the exhaust. I'm a bit worried that under track conditions my half shaft will rub under heavy cornering. I have a stock suspension with r1 tires so I get quite a bit of roll.

Just wanted to know if anyone eles has noticed this. Also if anyone with a 3" SFR exhaust feels ambitious, I would be curious what their clearance is when the car is sitting level.

Thanks guys
Old 04-27-2003, 05:39 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Skip,

Tim made a 2.5" for my 924S a while back. It is a very early version of his exhaust system and while it is lovely and has very nice welds, I have fit problems galore with it. I had started to feel this was because it was such an early version of the exhasut, I guess not.

First of all, it barely clears the rear sway bar and during hard driving I will hear the two make contact. Also, regarding your question, with the rear wheels off the ground and the suspension at full droop, I definitely have clearance issues between the half shaft and exhaust. And that is with 1/4 inch less radius than your exhaust.

Let me just say I tried to warn you all.
Old 04-27-2003, 05:42 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My car is on jack stands at the moment and I have .5" gap at full droop.

No rubbing on the street have not been back to the track yet with the 3" exhaust.

Quick Reply: Anyone have problems with SFR 3" exhaust and half shaft clearance