Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fender Flares - Stretching

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:31 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

rollyourfender.com now has a 5x130 arm for the eastwood roller. It fits.

jamesjedi, the wheels look good man. It looks like you ended up doing well with your offset calculations. You're not gonna get much more room though with a fender roller. What you did with the hammer is taking it farther than the fender roller will go. All the roller will do is smooth everything out nicely. To gain a little extra clearance you can cut the inner fender lining. Beware, if you do this you will have to make a fender liner out of aluminum or whatever you choose. But it will give you about 1/2" on the inside, which in your situation can be substantial.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:43 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesjedi
Lemming, good story, great 924. Is that the same car that is now restored with GTS flares?
Yes, I did the body kit in early 2009 but I totaled it in May 2010. I'm in the process of building a new race car; 944S with supercharged 968 engine
Old 07-28-2010, 11:38 PM
Cass944
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh wow really... I have one sitting in the back of my GTI that I just used on a passat and a corrado... I didnt even think that it may not actually fit a 5x130 setup....

good thing the 944 has plenty of room for me still I guess
Old 07-29-2010, 12:14 AM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...2&hl=en&emb=1#

he shows a nice way to roll fenders on here, would start with that.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:57 AM
jamesjedi
Rennlist Member

Very interesting video. He said that the edge was professionally chamfered? I understand the idea of the edge not rolling, I do not understand what kind of edge that is. I may end up trying it. But, I really wonder if the fender should be cut to help preserve the natural curve of the steel.Correct me if I am wrong.

I am certain that tomorrow I will pound and cut. Ritzblitz, I have already cut the inner fender by accident. Oh well! As always... thanks to everyone for the help.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:42 PM
n_hall
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

reminds me of a video i saw awhile ago. it's in Japanese, but it's easy to understand if you watch the whole thing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDTK9IjKIYU
Old 09-21-2010, 07:59 AM
jamesjedi
Rennlist Member

Flares are done. I had a guy do it for me at a reasonable cost. It would have been cheaper if I let him do it from the start, as he could have used some sort of a hydraulic tool.

Thanks the help!
Attached Images  
Old 09-21-2010, 08:31 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesjedi
Flares are done. I had a guy do it for me at a reasonable cost. It would have been cheaper if I let him do it from the start, as he could have used some sort of a hydraulic tool.

Thanks the help!
^ WOW! That looks mean!
Old 03-21-2019, 03:09 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but I would like to do exactly what the OP did. I IM'd him a few days ago (he's apparently still active on Rennlist), but haven't heard back yet. Does anybody here have any insight as to how he got the subtle flare he did? In my research, the consensus seems to be that you can't get more than a few millimeters of flare with a roller; anything more than that requires cutting the fender and installing a flare, which gets expensive. And yet, from the sound of the O.P.'s comments in his post #22 above (the one with the picture of his final result in it), it sounds like whoever did the work did it without much, if any, "surgery", and for a reasonable cost, even though the O.P. had already tried on his own, which typically raises the cost once you go ahead and take it to a pro. I plan to show a picture of the O.P.'s result to a shop tomorrow to ask what it would take to replicate it, but it would be good to be armed with some info as to how the O.P.'s guy did the work. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:29 PM
jamesjedi
Rennlist Member

Hi,

Sorry for not responding to the pm's. I do not come over to Renn that often. I had a shop do it. I started it, but they finished it. Use a shop that has experience making fenders wider, or you can use a dolly/hammer, base ball bat. Hydraulically pushing the fenders out may be best. In the end they were shaped with filler.

Keep in mind that the offset on the wheels is -3. They are Braid 15x9.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:43 PM
968to986
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Yeah I bet a decent body guy would be able to achieve that effect without much trouble. I prefer this look compared to those over-fender flares by GT Racing and Broadfoot. Of course it helps that the above car has those wide, deep Fuchs, giving it a 930 or RSR vibe.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:58 PM
jamesjedi
Rennlist Member

The mistake I made was grinding/trimming the fender too much - I ended up splitting the seam weld. That makes it more difficult.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:52 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks, James. So the shop you used didn't cut your fenders and attach flares, correct? They were able to move enough metal on your existing fender to add a inch of flare without cracking the paint? That's pretty amazing, based on conversations I've had with a couple of shops in town, although admittedly neither were actual body shops (one was a paintless dent repair shop, and the other was a mechanic shop). But I will go to a few shops tomorrow, with a picture of your flares in tow, and ask them if they would be able to reproduce them on my car.

I have a track-focused 968 with 2.25" i.d. coilovers, with a set of custom Signature SV103 alloys in 17 x 10.5", with a 49 mm offset, all around. The tires are 275/35-17 Maxxis RC1's. My goal was to fit the widest 17" wheels possible in a square set-up without having to add spacers or modify the fenders. I was able to achieve this, but didn't take into account that my set-up would leave my front track about 30 mm wider than may rear. This, combined with all the extra grip up front from the 3"-wider-than-stock wheels left my car with a pretty significant case of oversteer. As one step in attempting to bring the car back closer to neutral, I bought a set of 15 mm spacers (along with 66 mm wheel studs) in back. This pushes my rear tires out to the point where adding a bit of flare to the fenders would be desirable. I'm not getting any actual rubbing, but I haven't taken it to the track yet, so a small flare would give me some safety cushion. I agree with 968to968 that I wouldn't want those huge, tack-on aftermarket flares, so when I saw your approach, I realized it would be absolutely perfect for my needs. I'll let everybody know what I end up with.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:00 PM
jamesjedi
Rennlist Member

Doing the flares that I did will crack the paint. At least they will certainly crack the way I did it!

Perhaps you can get what you need for your wheels/tires without cracking the paint. 275/35 was run by the 944 Cup race cars without any fender modification. However they were 15 inch rims in et15. A different offset would be required by your car due to the late offset.

This is from a thread from the bird; This is the link. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-flares-2.html

I love the bolt on flares. At first I thought they looked like a short cut - Which they may be? The factory used them on the 934, the 993 and, perhaps I am erroneous in saying the 968. Look at post #21 from 962porsche. Perhaps the modification (size of the flares) should match the needs - at least within reason. The bolt on flares look like BIG hp motors. For me the extra inch was a good hot rod thing to do. I am trying to figure out a way to use 15x9 low offset wheels on my current project.

I wish I had never sold the car. Faster and more hp does not always mean better.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:29 PM
jamesjedi
Rennlist Member

It was a long time ago, I do not remember steel being added. I cant say for certain, but I really doubt that metal was added.

Quick Reply: Fender Flares - Stretching