Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: F-150 Bleeder Valve...Please Help!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 09:13 PM
Joel's_84_944
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry OT: F-150 Bleeder Valve...Please Help!!!!!!!

Hey, Sorry for posting this, but since I get all the answers from you guys, I figure I could try asking this one. My wife told me that the F-150 was making a grinding noise when she stops. So I lifted the truck and took of the front wheels and checked the passenger side brakes they look like new. Then I saw why, the Brake Bleeder Valve is missing the top, like it was sheared off. There is no way to attach a open ended wrench to loosen it. The brakes where never changed since I bought it. Is there a way that I can get that sucker off without damaging the caliper?. The Drivers side Caliper seems to be what was grinding. It seems that it was the only side that was actually stopping the truck.Scary...really scary.
Old 04-13-2003, 10:27 PM
champ
Advanced

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Joel's_84_944:
<strong> Then I saw why, the Brake Bleeder Valve is missing the top, like it was sheared off. There is no way to attach a open ended wrench to loosen it. Is there a way that I can get that sucker off without damaging the caliper?. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Hi Joel,

Is there enough left of the bleeder screw to get a purchase on it by using some visegrips?

The bleeder screws are not tourqued very tight so it should come off the caliper easily.

I would not drive the truck until I installed a new bleeder on that caliper and bled all of the brakes - using new brake fluid.

If you are not too familiar with brakes - I would suggest a pro shop do the work - brakes are not somethng to get wrenching experience on.

hope this helps
Old 04-14-2003, 12:07 AM
Joel's_84_944
Rennlist Member

Champ,

I tried using a visegrip but it wouldn't turn. I tried liquid wrench to see if the bleeder valve would unstick, but nothing. Is there a way that I could drill into the old valve so I can place a new bleeder valve in?
Old 04-14-2003, 12:27 AM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if it starts giving you too much trouble a new caliper is $40 through autozone. If it is broken flush, it probably didnt get sheared, someone probably went to bleed them and it broke off, its common, short of drilling and hoping to salvage the threads a new (or used) would be the fastest option.

Mark
Old 04-14-2003, 12:28 AM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if it starts giving you too much trouble a new caliper is $40 through autozone. If it is broken flush, it probably didnt get sheared, someone probably went to bleed them and it broke off, its common, short of drilling and hoping to salvage the threads a new (or used) would be the fastest option.

Mark
Old 04-14-2003, 08:57 AM
BartW
Racer

I would also suggest a new caliper, the amount of dirt that has probably gone through it has most likely ruined it. You can drill it out but make sure you are careful not to damage the threads or to get any metal inside the caliper that may end up ruining it later.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:03 PM
Joel's_84_944
Rennlist Member

Thanks Guys,

I am getting a caliper from Discount auto parts for only $48. That would seem to be the best option than trying to salvage a caliper.

thanks again.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:13 PM
Mark Parker
Burning Brakes

I'm still kinda fuzzy on the whole thing. The pads on the drivers side are worn out to metal and grinding,,but the passenger side aren't worn at all ? And I'm guessing you got the truck used, so the P.O. broke the bleeder off. But if the bleeder was broken off and you'd lost all your brake fluid, (I think that's what you're assuming,,correct me if not) then the drivers side wouldn't have worked either,,plus you'd have had a really funky pedal, and a brake warning light. I'd have a real close look at the drivers side caliper too. It bein' a Ford, they're real good about siezing up (they used to use a phenolic piston) and dragging themselves to death. They'll usually discolor the wheel on the offending side when it goes like that.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:45 PM
Joel's_84_944
Rennlist Member

There is always a lot of brake dust buildup on the drivers compared to the passengers side. I have to spend more time cleaning the drivers side than the passengers side. I checked the rotors and the drivers side is gouged pretty deep. The passengers side looks almost new no deep grooves or anything.

Mark,
Only the TIP of the bleeder valve is broken, It tried using a vise grip on whats left of it, but it seems to have been tighten by something other than hand tightening. You can feel the grinding coming through the pedal when you apply the brakes. The truck also pulls a little to the left when I apply the brakes.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:26 PM
Mark Parker
Burning Brakes

Joel; I'd be more concerned with the left (drivers) side. It sounds as though it may actually be dragging. I think you'd be well served to go with both calipers, both rubber brake lines at the front wheels, left rotor (and have the right checked and resurfaced as necessary) pack your bearings and of course new pads. It'll probably work out to be more economical to do it all now than to try for a piecemeal repair. Good luck.

Quick Reply: OT: F-150 Bleeder Valve...Please Help!!!!!!!