Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My S2... finally.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 09:01 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

That looks like Pete's old car. I spent a lot of time helping work in it years ago.

Did you buy it on eBay from a seller in New Jersey named Vlad?
Old 07-28-2010, 09:43 AM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by peanut
I know this is off topic and going to sound like a silly question but i've got to know . Do your residential roads not have pavements for pedestrians to walk on ? Mothers ,kids on bikes etc
I've always loved the way your beautifully kept front lawns sweep down the the kerb and your roads are lined with trees in the States, unlike the untidy mess we have here in Britain with most front lawns full of rubbish and derelect cars.
Depending on the neighborhood in greater Montreal (CANADA!) there may or may not be sidewalks. In my neighborhood there are sidewalks on the busier streets and none on the quieter streets where we generally just walk and bike on the street safely. Most all streets will have a concrete curb between the pavement of the road and the grass. We get allot of snow in the winter and without the curb the plows would have a hard time not taking chunks out of everyones front lawn.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:13 AM
DHC6
Racer

Yea, that's the car. Seemed like a nice guy. I don't blame him for what I have had to do to the car so far. He told me that he didn't drive the car hard for several years. So I am pretty sure he wouldn't have noticed all the problems that surfaced the first time I took it out on the track. It's basically cost me the cost of the car so far to get it back in good running condition. It probably would have been fine for sometime, but the track has a way of bringing out the problems in a car, like the left front ball joint, or the tie rod ends, or the CV joints or the front bearings, or the diff....

Some one made a suggestion to check the main connectors for each door (because nothing is working on the doors, window switch and window switches don't work). I will check it when I get home in two weeks. Hopefully that's the problem.

As far as the airbag is concerned, I am not sure about the light, I will check that when I get home as well. I just put the wheel on, and didn't really check about the light. I didn't know that about the light, so I will check for sure so I don't fail the inspection.

I had to change the cluster, do all clusters have a light for the airbag? Where is the light supposed to be?
Old 07-28-2010, 11:59 AM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DHC6
I didn't know that about the light, so I will check for sure so I don't fail the inspection.

I had to change the cluster, do all clusters have a light for the airbag? Where is the light supposed to be?
If the cluster is from an airbag car then it will have the light on it. On mine the bulb was removed and apparently it is a special bulb. Wasn't costly but took a few days to get. Once you have a bulb in there it is supposed to Light for 5 seconds when you turn the key and then go off. If it never lights or goes on and stays on then you have an issue. If you have an issue email me and we can speak about steps to fixing. I am intimately familiar with the system as I had fun making it work for my inspection.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:25 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mhr
Depending on the neighborhood in greater Montreal (CANADA!) .
oops !
sorry no offence intended just didn't bother checking . I assumed it was the US.
Land is so cheap there that everyone can afford to have a decent size garden without the need for fences and walls to give privacy screening . Here in the UK a person would buy a plot as big as the OP's and develops it with about 8x 4 bedroom houses each costing $1 million each
Old 07-28-2010, 11:14 PM
DHC6
Racer

mhr(is this Mark?),

I just sent a message to the guy I got the cluster from to see if it was from an airbag car. The original listing said it was from an 89 S2, so I think it's likely that it came from an airbag car. Where exactly is the light supposed to illuminate? I am just asking cuz I am up north at work right now, so I will get on the phone with the wife and ask her to look for me. That way I can let you know, and with any luck have any parts I may need waiting for me when I get home. Where can I find a bulb for the cluster? Just want to make sure it's not simply a burnt bulb if it doesn't work.

Louis
Old 07-28-2010, 11:28 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

yes its mark

Sorry about the lousy image below but you will see the words AIR BAG in the bottom right of the cluster. Also the ! light in the center top comes on at the same time and then both shut off 5 seconds later.

I got the bulb from Ron Green at Campbell where I had some work done on the engine.
Attached Images  
Old 07-28-2010, 11:34 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by peanut
oops !
sorry no offence intended just didn't bother checking . I assumed it was the US.
No offense taken don't worry!
Old 07-29-2010, 12:01 AM
DHC6
Racer

That's perfect Mark, at least now when I talk to my wife I can have her look at the right place. So you got the bulb in Montreal? Cool, I will start with that if it doesn't come on. She will be home later this week, so I should have an answer about the light in a few days. Also if I remember you said you have an extra airbag brain? That way I won't have to hunt for one in case I need one, I REALLY want to get it plated on my next time off at home.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:46 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

anyone have a 944 or 968 in iris blue ? did one ever....
Old 07-29-2010, 01:58 AM
L8_apex
Rennlist Member

DHC
Welcome to the S2 fraternity! I know that mine has been a lot of fun, both street and track. It's ironic that a car that looks cosmetically clean had so many mechanical/electrical issues. But that can be the
nature of these (and many older) cars, hidden maintenance issues arise continually. Well done in sticking with it!

I envy you being able to do a track day in the summer. Down here, the season starts in October, and runs through April. The other months are too hot for anything!
Old 07-29-2010, 06:34 PM
DHC6
Racer

Well, I also wish it was as good as it looks!!! I was surprised when my mechanic told me about everything that needed to be done. Between it's looks and the way it drives (especially now!!) I am hooked for life. I knew I would love driving/owning a Porsche (apart from these initial head aches...), but I didn't think I would love it this much!!! I have always loved cars since I was very very young, and Porsche has always been my favorite cars. So finally owning one, and one that I have wanted for a long time is really awesome!!!
Old 07-29-2010, 07:54 PM
gcb951
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DHC6, Looks great.

mhr, dude take the bikes off. Just terrible.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:32 AM
mhr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gcb951
mhr, dude take the bikes off. Just terrible.
Some of my best days are driving out to the country roof down with my bike. Taking a nice ride for a few hours and then heading home. My two favorite past-times rolled into 1. Sorry it offends you to each his own

Quick Reply: My S2... finally.