Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can of Spray Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 03:13 PM
jamesjedi
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Can of Spray Paint?

We now have a "finacial planner", as a result I do not have the money for car "things" that I used to. I want to paint my fiberglass bumpers, can I do it with a can of spray paint, or will it reult in a poor finish? I was thinking that someone must make some good rattle can paint?
Old 07-15-2010, 03:18 PM
oazix
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there's a thread on here somewhere where people where painting there cars with rustoleum spray paint, looked pretty good too
Old 07-15-2010, 03:49 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used rustoleum enamel to paint several motorcycles, took my time, wet sanded, polished, and they came out fantastic. You could clearly see your reflection. Better than a lot of factory paint jobs which have tons of orange Peel! I used the rustoleum "stops rust" enamel because it is holds up to gas -which will melt most spray paint.
The problem you will run into is matching the color... but if you can find a spray paint that matches; take your time, clean the paint nozzle often, spray light coats, wet sand, rubbing compound, and finish will polishing compound. Clear coat would be good; I never clear coated because I couldnt find a clear coat that would resist the solvents in gas..
Old 07-15-2010, 04:39 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Have you checked out paintscratch.com? Can send you OEM color in a spray can.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:44 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesjedi
We now have a "finacial planner", as a result I do not have the money for car "things" that I used to. I want to paint my fiberglass bumpers, can I do it with a can of spray paint, or will it reult in a poor finish? I was thinking that someone must make some good rattle can paint?
I once painted and entire car with spray paint. It was a race car.

You can do with spray paint. There two down sides. First is that color matching to the rest of the car is probaby not going to happen. Second is that it will not last. It will fade and deteriorate pretty fast.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

I painted my fiberglass bumpers (Guards Red) with a can of PaintScratch. I started with a good spray primer (Home Depot), then the PaintScratch, and then covered it with a good Rustoleum brand spray clear coat (Home Depot). I skipped wet sanding and just did a bunch of power buffing with a medium cut car polish. Don't polish until the paint has had a few days to harden.

Bumpers don't have any big, open surfaces, so imperfections are not that noticeable. Of course, paint them before you install them.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:48 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Head to a Carquest with your paint code...they can mix up an enamel spray can for you with a great match.

Note....this service may not be around much longer...apparently the tree-huggers have started to restrict the car stores to whom they sell paints. (autobody shops only)

Also, the new BC CC systems are being mandated to be waterborn, and require expensive spray guns...and Joe Public doesn't have them...usually. Soon ALL automotive paint will be waterborn. (if it isn't already)
Old 07-15-2010, 06:24 PM
tr4guy
Advanced

I got matching paint for my 944 from a local autobody paint shop that they put into two spray cans. I used this paint to repaint after I took the chip guard plastic pieces off from behind the wheels. I masked the areas, primed them and then used the matching paint in the cans and they came out great. These were small area. I wouldn't try this on large area but the small places came out just great.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Kevsporsche944
Rennlist Member

not to jump off topic

Potomac-Greg where did you get your rear bumper from? I hear some of those fit well and others you end up having to modify it to fit.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:47 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kevsporsche944
not to jump off topic

Potomac-Greg where did you get your rear bumper from? I hear some of those fit well and others you end up having to modify it to fit.
I found them on Ebay. Seller was Texas .... something. Like Texas Performance? They were nicely made. The rears required a little bit of dremel work at the edges, and as you can see in the picture, the contour on the rear bumper (where it lines up to the fender) is not perfect. But on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give them an 8. Installation hardware was included. Rears required creative use of washers to get the right location. Front was a beetch to install b/c you have to take off the front valence to gain access to the mounting bolts (because it's snub-nose bumper).
Old 07-15-2010, 08:20 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
I found them on Ebay. Seller was Texas .... something. Like Texas Performance? They were nicely made. The rears required a little bit of dremel work at the edges, and as you can see in the picture, the contour on the rear bumper (where it lines up to the fender) is not perfect. But on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give them an 8. Installation hardware was included. Rears required creative use of washers to get the right location. Front was a beetch to install b/c you have to take off the front valence to gain access to the mounting bolts (because it's snub-nose bumper).
I think its TexasBlake...he is a lister who makes them IIRC. Check out the 944 Hybrids website for them to be sure.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:33 AM
jamesjedi
Rennlist Member

How much is a can of Carquest paint? Would you feel comfortable using it on a full A. I. R. bumper cover? Is it the same paint that a body shop would use, the only difference being that it is in a can?
Old 07-16-2010, 10:01 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

I've used it many times...its thinned out for the aerosol can...just put on extra coats. I'd go for it.

I have the full air gun, compressor gear myself, but for small projects the cans work good. Use a good quality primer, then spray away!
Old 07-16-2010, 03:48 PM
jamesjedi
Rennlist Member

I got a can from Carquest. They have cour matched it for me. Do I need to sand the fiberglass before painting?

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-16-2010, 04:14 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

I would sand and prime with high build, sand and prime again with regular sandable primer..then clean with a prep wash and spray.

Quick Reply: Can of Spray Paint?