Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excellence Value of our cars...mine

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2002, 10:56 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's my $0.42
1. You car isn't a 951S: it's a 951 with the TurboS upgrades. So you can't really say your car is a 951S, so don't expect to get 951S market value for your car.

2. As stated above, one should never buy a car as an investment. They are the WORST investments: example: a new car will loose 20% of it's value by driving it off the lot! My 89 944S2 cost the original owner nearly $42,000.00! I paid $8000.00 after he owned and maintained it for 12 years. That's a steep depreciation curve! If you want to invest in something, buy some real estate!

3. Again, as mentioned above, a car is only worth the price someone is willing to pay for it. If you can find someone willing to pay $20k for your car, then great! (BTW: I'd rather buy a 968 for that kinda money). But chances are, you won't find a buyer willing to pay that much.

Don't get me wrong: you have a beautiful car! But don't let your emotional attachment drive your 'perceived value' of your car. And you'll never recoup what you've spent on it.

-Z-man.
Old 09-27-2002, 12:00 PM
billybones
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our cars are still way to young to have concours. IMHO. THat is for ancient race cars or cars like say the omni...or not many left and are not serviceable. on a daily basis. we are getting there but not just yet..
Old 09-27-2002, 12:39 PM
951Badger
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by billybones:
<strong>Our cars are still way to young to have concours. IMHO. THat is for ancient race cars or cars like say the omni...or not many left and are not serviceable. on a daily basis. we are getting there but not just yet..</strong><hr></blockquote>

Too young to councours? There are Boxsters at councours events!

[quote]Here's my $0.42
1. You car isn't a 951S: it's a 951 with the TurboS upgrades. So you can't really say your car is a 951S, so don't expect to get 951S market value for your car.[/qb] <hr></blockquote>

To ME it's an S. It is IDENTICAL in every way to the 944 Turbo "S" with the exception of the Turbo. The car is chipped though so it is actually putting out slightly more HP than the "S". I plan on uprating the Turbo as well. This car was uprated professionally to Porsche specs. It wasn't a piecemeal home done job to make the car "like" an "S".

With that said, I would NEVER represent the car as anything other than it is if I were to sell it. I would tell the potential buyer exactly what I stated here.

Again, to me, this car is, for all intents and purposes, an "S".
Old 09-27-2002, 12:46 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2 years ago I paid $8,500 for a MINT* 86 stone grey/ burgandy with all options
Old 09-27-2002, 02:41 PM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

Well I bought my 951 for only 4800 from a guy up in the boondocks. It had to be repainted and I needed new wheels. It has quite a bit of mileage, 127K miles. BUt I think I could get good money for it. There was a 944 s i think but it was a 91 convertible. It went for 25 thousand near my house. I think that's a little pricey but, that's what someone paid for it. It also had quite a bit of miles. I'm sure you can get for what you paid for, if not more.
Old 09-27-2002, 03:47 PM
kelsean
Instructor

[quote]I've heard others say that our cars will never be collector items because of the number made. That's BS.
--------------------- <hr></blockquote>

I agree. At some point, these cars wont be so easy to get hold of, especially as it seems to me they're getting slightly more popular. Robby and I arent the only ones in the know around here. I too have always thought (and said) that these cars in many respects were ahead of their time and will be appreciated more as time goes by -if for nothing else other than the way they look!! I truly enjoy seeing one drive by. I cant park my car and walk away from it w/o taking a parting glance... or two/three. And, i too fall in love with my car every time i look at it, get in it, start it up, and put its nose in the wind. Sometimes i worry myself. What would i do if i couldnt drive a 944? I shudder to think...

I might add i'm involved in a cour case where i'm sueing this girl that hit my n/a's lt.front while she was cruising up the turn lane to avoid traffic. Her people are saying my car's 'only worth this-' I'm trying to explain to my attourney how this whole value thing works with these cars when he says, "If you were under no compulsion to sell, what would you take for your car?" I have two 944s in limbo at the moment!!! Rennlist is my only salvation: i get to look at 944s.
Old 09-27-2002, 05:48 PM
kennyandersen
Instructor

just like real estate is location, location, location, cars are condition, condition, condition. Like someone pointed out a paint job alone can run $4-5K and usually if the paint is rough... well the interior needs a little work etc. Soon the purchase price has doubled and the 'great deal' is loosing a little of the shine.

If you want a particular color combo other than red/tan, wht/burg, or blk/blk, it will be harder to find. I wanted silver or wht wht blk interior and it took some doin'.

Even though you had your belts done, that is also something that needs to be taken into account on the low mileage cars.

The car looks fabulous! be proud to own a 'finer' example!

I guess I wanted a nicer one -- hey I can't help if I have standards. My problem was I couldn't find anyone smart enough to really take care of the car and do all of the maintenance, but stupid enough to give me a really good deal!

Quick Reply: Excellence Value of our cars...mine