Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

86 944 that I'm looking at for a refurbishment

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 08:25 PM
jcslocum
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 944 that I'm looking at for a refurbishment

Am I nuts for looking at this car?

1986 944 with 117K miles. Current owner has service records back to 1991. Car has been sitting for at least 3 years outside but under a cover. Hasn't been run in that time. Overall the car is in decent shape but has some cosmetic challenges that will require some body slight shop time. The color is a silver blue and I like that color. Interior is black leather with a slight tear in the driver bolster. No wet or musty smell inside of the car. New tires.

I know it needs at least the belts changed along with the water pump and thermostst as long as I'm in there doing the belts.

So, is this car woth $1000 or am I just asking for lots of long term trouble trying to bring it back from sitting for so long???

Does a turbo nose bolt right on or are other parts required to make it fit??

Thanks for any and all advice on the subject!

Jon
Old 07-10-2010, 09:14 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

someone needs to bring this fine car back to life. why not you? negotiate down to $800 and make the deal!
Old 07-10-2010, 09:34 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Looks like a Sapphire Metallic...great color but tough to match w/o a full respray.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:26 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

It,s just not a matter of changing the Belts /Waterpump/Thermostat, the car has been sitting for 3 yrs what about all the seals /the clutch /clutch cyl /clutch master cyl/brakes /calipers/rotors /wheels bearings/ transaxle ect ect ect & like KuHL mention a full respray,I'll agree with you you that a $1,000 is a very attractive price for an 87 but,what migth not be so attractive is the money spend on it to bring it back to life when you can go & get yourself a very decent running 944na for the $$$$ spend trying to fixe this one,lot of people made the mistake of buying a cheap Porsche & wishe they had not.As far as your second question (no 944 turbo nose does not fit an N/A but you can buy something like this a guy here on Rennlist had one for sale a couple weeks ago ,it's a conversion kit from N/A to 951 .

Last edited by ernie9468; 02-04-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:52 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why hasnt the car been driven in 3 years? That's pretty suspect. You will probably need to replace the tires and all internal engine rubber/seals. If you have $5k, tools and free weekends for about 2 months....do it. It will be the best car under $10k you can buy....but unlimited headaches for the first three years.

Rule of thumb...buy the nicest example you can afford. These cars are very expensive to maintain...and this ^^^ is living proof of that. It's sitting for a rea$on.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:19 PM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

Looks like there's a bit of rust hiding here and there as well. I'd be a little cautious around that.

Other than that I'd buy it and run the thing into the ground for that price.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:34 PM
jcslocum
Instructor

I happen to know the owner (at a distance) and he's had a fairly serious back problem that has kept him from driving it. That is the reason for sitting. I get the risk issues from it sitting but from what I can see, without running it it has no leask or other issues.

I asked about the rust and was told that the car was in a scrape up accident in a praking lot and was repaired on the front corner. I assume that is where the rust is coming from.

Jon
Old 07-11-2010, 01:21 AM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$1k is a good price and I really like the color. You cant really lose at that amount. Just be aware that you are looking at another $4k (at least) to be sorted....8K if you pay a shop. We are talking brakes, rotors, fuel lines, brake lines, clutch, TB/WP, tires, wheel bearings, radiator, O2 sensor, temp sensor, injectors, plug wires, rear seal, front seal, oil cooler seals, bushings, motor mounts, shocks.....yeah. It's 25 years old....

Most important is to replace the fuel lines ASAP.....after the timing belt.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:45 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

it's really a nice car... but, keep in mind, the guys here are giving you the best advice !

buy this car and strip it for parts !! you're going to need them for the 944 you end up buying and keeping on the road.

you can spend and astronomical amount of money building the car up from it's current state -- to where you will finally be satisfied... upwards of $ 35 K if you convert this car to a proper turbo or LSx (the only thing really worth doing for any amount of money in my opinion)...

want to add a turbo kit for a 944 ? ummm... you're talking about engine blueprinting, and parts going past $ 20 K...

a turbo kit for a Boxster or Cayman can be had for about $ 8 k...

i was stoned to death last year for posting about a porsche project you can do for about $ 40 k with a used Cayman, (or about $ 25 k if you were to choose a Boxster !!).... the result is pretty nice. a 0-150 mph-0 supercar... modern safety features, stunning looks (the ugly *** end of the Cayman not withstanding), modern interior (i actually like the 986 interior the best), Porsche nav system, good ergonomics, all-leather, and you end up with a great handling car, and with the Cayman, a nice, 6-speed transmission.

i also like the Boxster because repairs in general, are less $$$ than the Cayman, but you want to avoid the early, 2.5 litre cars.

and if you really want to laugh, look at this page... compare the numbers problems with the Boxster compared to front-engine P-cars from the '80s and early '90s...

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...-boxster-2.htm

the reason i'm posting about Boxter's and Cayman's is that our front engine cars are beginning to get very old. with the economy the way it is, you can pick up a Boxster for really short money... people are trying different things to get 911 Carrera levels of performance. check this link from the Boxster 986 forum...

"Goodbye 944 ... Hello 986..."

https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-...llo-986-a.html

as much as i love the 944, it can be a very expensive car to get to "turn key" service.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:54 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Jon

I see NJ plates....I suggest you get a Pre Purchase Inspection....the few hundred $ may seem like alot for a $1000 car but could save you from making a high-dollar mistake.

Several of us on here can suggest good NJ shops that could do a PPI depending upon where it is.

If it's in the northern 1/2 of the state, PM me and I'll give you a few names.

As was said, I'd be leary about things like the clutch which by itself is a $1200 to $1500 job easy.

That said...if you do by it for no more than $1000 you need to understand that if the car were perfect, resale would be around $4500 at best.....so that gives you some guidance in terms of investment.

By the way....I love the color and aside from the rust spot and the lower air dam it seems to be in nice shape body-wise.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:29 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOp
fuel lines, brake lines,TB/WP, tires, bushings, shocks.....yeah. It's 25 years old....
fixed your post
Old 07-11-2010, 12:13 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been building and and restorting cars for over 25 years.

Many of the posts above are worst case scenario alarmist posts.

Buy the car and enjoy it. Looks like a solid platform to enjoy.

Sure you may have to do some work. Its an aging car. That is just how the game works.

My 951 sat for way longer than the car you are looking at and needed far more work. It is a much better car for far less money now than many of the guys here that tried to by "good examples" for s premium price.

Just look at everything that may need fixed as an opportunity to upgrade or extend the life of a wonderful car.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:19 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Having bought two 944's in this shape (i.e., having sat for a number of years) I'd add a new fuel pump to the list. They seem to get enough junk in them to lock up when re-started.

The $4k number (total investment if you do it all yourself) is real. And that's without truly major work. I would at least check for rubber clutch failure before commiting to purchase, that's close to a grand right there (DIY). A lot of the rest is stuff that doesn't need to be done right away, and depends on what you expect it to be used for.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:40 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
I have been building and and restorting cars for over 25 years.

Many of the posts above are worst case scenario alarmist posts.

Buy the car and enjoy it. Looks like a solid platform to enjoy.

Sure you may have to do some work. Its an aging car. That is just how the game works.

My 951 sat for way longer than the car you are looking at and needed far more work. It is a much better car for far less money now than many of the guys here that tried to by "good examples" for s premium price.

Just look at everything that may need fixed as an opportunity to upgrade or extend the life of a wonderful car.
Cole

All due respect...there's a difference between being alarmist and being fully aware of what one is getting one's self into.

I happen to think the car the op is looking at appears to be a deal...however he should be aware of the 'watch-outs' that could break his bank....this way he can make an informed decision.

Nothing alarmist about being smart.

Joe
Old 07-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some of the posts here are a bit alramist in nature not just informative.

I personally would rather put $4000 into a $1000 car than buy a so called "sorted car" for $5000.

That way you KNOW you have all new parts, know the right stuff was worked on etc.

Some of these cars that have things listed like "recent clutch job" just mean the seller put a the cheapest clutch they could find in it at some point during their ownership lf the car.

There is a great example right now with docwytes car. He paid a premium for a sorted car, paid for a pre purchase inspection and still ended up having to replace/rebuilt half the car to get it up and running right.

All I'm saying is that at this point when cars are this old it should just be a no brainer that they will need a few things.....and that there is no garantee that a more expensive car that recently drove down to the local fuel stop is really going to cost you any less.

Quick Reply: 86 944 that I'm looking at for a refurbishment