Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag warning light?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 07:07 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 113 Posts
Exclamation Airbag warning light?

Hi, I was refferred to this forum from the 944 newsgroup, looks pretty good! Anyway I just bought a 1989 944S2, and after r&r'ing the insturment cluster to sort out the dim dash lighting, I now get the airbag light, seat belt light and master caution light. I can't seem to turn them off. I found a page with instructions on how to disable this indication but I'd rather fix it right.

I tried disconnecting the battery but perhaps I didn't leave it disconnected long enough? I only disconnected it for 10-20 sec.

Thanks for any help,
-Joel.
Old 03-05-2002, 07:23 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The thing has to be reset, you can trip it in a couple circumstances and you just found one of them.

The '88 and earlier can be reset following a grounding sequence (I have it soemwhere if you need it) of this white molex 3 prong connector in the footwell in back of the glove box. I think, but am not sure, that starting in '89 you need to use a Porsche diagnostic tool (read dealer).So see if you can find the 3 connector white molex plug on the end of wires going to nowhere and then you can reset yourself.
Old 03-05-2002, 10:23 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Joel, I had mine come on a few weeks ago on starting the car when the battery was weak ('94 968). Even a low-voltage start can set a code & turn the light on (talk about post-sale revenue-generating engineering!).

According to the board over at 968.net, it's a dealer reset only. Dunno if your '89 is different. I've got the grounding procedure 'Shark referred to, but never took time to hunt for the connector, since I don't know if it applies to the later cars (next time, maybe).

BTW, the dealer here did the check & reset for free (Thanks, Deal Autohaus!). It took two trips since their one and only Porsche tech was out of town for a week...

Jim, never waste a good mood by taking it to work with you on a Monday....
Old 03-06-2002, 01:02 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

I found the three conductor molex connector and am ready to try the reset sequence if you could dig it up.

Thanks,
-Joel
Old 03-06-2002, 05:54 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

It is in the Rennlist 944 FAQ, item 13.7.

Make sure you have a real good ground point, I'd use the battery negative pole. And get the sequence down pat as it is easy to screw up the timing.
Old 03-07-2002, 11:50 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks! I have gotten the procedure from the FAQ and confidence is high. I'll try it tonight, as I now have the cluster back in with new 3 watt lamps.

-Joel.
Old 03-07-2002, 12:41 PM
TF
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The S2 can't be reset with the procedure, you don't have the wire block they talk about. I didn't believe everyone and pulled my glove box apart looking for the block on my 90 S2. As they said it isn't there but the connection for the factory tool is.
Old 03-07-2002, 12:54 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

I'm not so sure about the S2 either, never having had to look for it on one. But this molex plug is hanging off the inside of the firewall and you don't need to take the glove box apart to get at it. Just crawl into the footwell and look up.

If Jfrahm found the plug maybe the '89 S-2s have it and he may as well give it a try and report back. Also, it was smart he changed the dash lights back down to 3 watt. A lot of guys have melted things with 5 watters.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:18 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Old thread re-visited!

I dug this one up, but there is no answer to the question - Can an '89 S2's airbag warning circuit be re-set using "the procedure"?

Something tells me the local Porsche dealer won't do a freebe, and I am getting the airbag light flickering like a candle! Very distracting!

Anyone know?
Old 11-09-2004, 10:56 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Wow this is an old thread. That's my car that Joel is asking about.

Andy, if you want to keep the airbag system you probably should take it and have the system checked out asap. If you want to disconnect and bypass them, I can help you with that.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:01 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would disconnect them, if it didn't mean having to kill the warning light system at the same time!? My mechanic said I could disable the air bags, and when I asked about the warning light that would remain on, he said "that's why they make black electrical tape"! Funny guy...
Old 11-09-2004, 11:07 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I have mine disconnected but all the warning lights work fine. The only light that does not come on is the airbag warning light. Everything else works just as it should.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:19 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow, my first post on Rennlist comes back to haunt me. The reset procedure works fine in 89 and 90 I think. 1991 is when you need the hammer tool to reset the airbag light.

Personally I would suggest leaving the airbags in, they seem to work fine at this age. Airbag brains are pretty easy and cheap to obtain. The only cars I have heard of that have had the bags go off for no good reason had major front damage repairs and no attention paid to the impact sensor.

-Joel.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:26 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

AndyK,

I've had NUMEROUS issues with my airbag light so hopefully I can help here!

Most of the S2s out there are not able to use the "procedure" because you have to use the Bosch Hammer tool to reset the light. In other words the system on some S2s is the same as the 968 and 964s of the same vintage. I had the light coming on in mine so I took it to the dealer in NJ that is close to the Garden State Plaza mall (I forget the name now) but I do remember it was off of state road 4. The guy there was real friendly and performed the service for free.

Then a couple of months later the light went off yet again. This time I took it to the dealer close to Fort Lee (again I forget the name) and they told me that the airbag light itself had gone out so I would need to replace that and then reset the airbag switch. Now this light is fairly special because it includes two filaments so you HAVE to make sure to order the right light bulb from the dealer. I was charged this time but it only took about 15 minutes so you can imagine what the rate would be based on that estimate.

Since I was in the middle of moving I just left it as it was. Finally when I arrived here in NC I ordered the new airbag light, but it took about 30 days to get in. Once I got it I discovered it doesn't include the holder so I had the choice of simply removing the "!" and seatbelt light or trying to perform surgery on the bulbs. I chose the first choice.

I plan on getting around to it but since I already had the dash gutted, I wanted instant results. So far, so good.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:39 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fpena944
AndyK,

I've had NUMEROUS issues with my airbag light so hopefully I can help here!

Most of the S2s out there are not able to use the "procedure" because you have to use the Bosch Hammer tool to reset the light. In other words the system on some S2s is the same as the 968 and 964s of the same vintage.
I believe only the (relatively rare) 1991 S2's need the Hammer. And 968's of course.

-Joel.

Quick Reply: Airbag warning light?