Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hear birds chirping under my dash???

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 10:21 PM
tecart
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post I hear birds chirping under my dash???

Im trying to solve a weird noise under my dash and cant figure out what part needs replacing. When i put the key in the ignition and turn it to the right just before starting but power is on, under my dash from the passanger side i can hear a motor spinning (like maybe its the fan motor under the shroud by the front windshield?) but in addition to this spinning i hear a chirp and or chirpping coming from the same area, now it also makes this noise when the car is running at idle or driving but its harder to hear, so the problem happens when ever the power is on. What part is squealing or chirping/whiring its in need of replacing and im not sure what to order, hope its easy to get to also. someone has had to have heard this also, its not the bubbling noise that you hear when the coolant/heater system needs to be bled of air, its a motor spinning/chirping noise, thanks for the help P.S. you can hear it really well if you put your ear up under the glovebox part of the dash but more to the left towards the hot water return pipe under the dash that has the black foam insulation on it, there is 2 pipes under there, but again its a motor i think not a pipe that is the noise source
Old 04-12-2003, 10:26 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine has the same whine noise. I believe it probably has something to do with the fuel system/fuel pump. I've heard fuel pumps and systems on a lot of cars and that's pretty much the sound it makes. I figure that to be normal.

Not sure about the rest....maybe have someone sit in the car and turn the key while you are under the hood listening? Good luck in figuring it out!!!

Cheers!
Old 04-12-2003, 10:30 PM
DangerIsland
Burning Brakes

The hum (and maybe the chirp) is a small motor/fan that sucks air from the cabin into the heating system. It pulls the air through the little round vent next to the glove box so it can get the air temp and adjust the heat. It's normal. And even if it died... you would just have a little bit of a weird temperature sometimes from the heater.
Old 04-12-2003, 10:35 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm....how interesting. I always wondered how that system worked!
Old 04-12-2003, 10:44 PM
tecart
Pro

its not the fuel pump, its not a noise from the rear, its under my dash, the fuel pump issue is not a concern on my car, any other under dash ideas? thanks
Old 04-13-2003, 02:34 PM
tecart
Pro

anyone got a picture or part number to this fan/motor? thanks
Old 04-13-2003, 11:44 PM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Always wondered what that noise was. Thanks
Old 04-16-2003, 11:10 AM
tecart
Pro

thanks guys, it was the air-temp sensor motor under the dash, it was a biatch to get at, but i got it out, it is the motor that sucks air in thru the little vent grill next to the cig. lighter and a long rubber hose then attaches to this motor, i have sourced it at porsche, its 275 dollars !!! so i got a perfect one out of a j-yard for 30 bucks, thanks again

Quick Reply: I hear birds chirping under my dash???