Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Atlanta Area Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 04:07 PM
drraulduke
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Atlanta Area Alignment

I need to get an alignment on my 86 944 N/A and I don't know who to bring it to. I have Bilstein coil overs installed and the ride height has been lowered. I live in Atlanta, GA, and I want to make sure that I get the proper settings, so I don't want to bring it just anywhere. It's mainly a street car but I'll be getting on the track for the first time in August. I was going to bring it over to Jim Ellis Porsche and pay the extra money, but I wasn't sure if that was just silly. Does anybody have any recommendations for shops to take it to that will do an excellent job and I can trust? I appreciate any recommendations. Thanks!
Old 06-23-2010, 05:48 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kerry Singly comes to mind immediately, but I don't know the name of the shop he works out of. It is up around Kennesaw or Woodstock, though. If he can't do it, he'll know where to tell you to go. I think Kerry may have an account here. I think Kinetic may be based in Atlanta, but they are definately more of a race shop.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:20 PM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on Kerry he's in Alpharetta 770-663-3939
Also in Alpharetta Ken at Perfect Performance is good.

Cheers
Randy
Old 06-23-2010, 09:11 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Todd Sr. at J-3 in Buford. Uses the string method.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:08 PM
drraulduke
Intermediate

thanks for all the shops and info. I'll give kerry singly a call. I'm sort of new to this, so does anybody have recommended alignment settings for a street/track car? Thanks everyone.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:56 PM
IMB951
Drifting

I had my 951 done at Butler tire in Alpharetta on a laser rig. I would definitely recommend either them or Kerry Singley at NAPA off HWY 9. I wish I had the sheet with me with the alignment numbers. 1.1 degrees front negative camber on my LR plates, I do remember that.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:09 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by drraulduke
thanks for all the shops and info. I'll give kerry singly a call. I'm sort of new to this, so does anybody have recommended alignment settings for a street/track car? Thanks everyone.
You need to decide how you are going to use the car most of the time. Kerry or any of the other Porsche specialty shops will know how to align it. I won't use anyone who is not totally familiar with the 944 platform.

The PO of my car, a long time friend, was a super A-X'r (SCCA Nationals). I have his settings & will send them to you if you want them. I set the car up for the track, quite a bit different settings than the AX settings. Neither would be great for a car used primarily as a daily driver. Ride height has a major affect in handling. A lot of people crank it down to the stops, looks cool but seems to me that kinda defeats the purpose of the springs and shocks.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:57 AM
drraulduke
Intermediate

Thanks for all the advice. Based on who almost everyone recommended I called Kerry Singly and will bring it there next week. I'm going to be using the car on the street almost all of the time, so street settings would probably be most appropriate. I was planning on going to the August DE "Taste of the Track" at road Atlanta to get a feel for driving on track. It will be my first time on the track. I've been dying to drive the car when it's not in Atlanta traffic.

Quick Reply: Atlanta Area Alignment