Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too much boost after mods removed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 10:34 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Too much boost after mods removed?

I've pulled out all the engine mods in the car until I can afford to do em right...They were't much, a jetted banjo bolt and autoth chips.
With that setup, the car was boosting too high anyway...18psi in 3rd gear with a #145 jet.

However..the car is still boosting to 1 bar boost on the stock gauge...I haven't checked the aftermarket cause its just hanging there right now...I have to ghetto install it to the steering wheel colum for the next test session.

SO, what's causing my excessive boost? Vac leak? bad/drilled cycling valve?

If it is an issue with the cycling valve, how much does is it approximetely? Can I use an MBC without a dual port WG (and without modifying my stock WG)? In installing the MBC, I would assume the cycling valve is removed? If not, can the cycling valve be removed when installing an MBC?

Is 1 bar safe on my stock chips? No matter what I'm turning it down to stock...but I just wanna know if its safe to test further.

thanks,
Adrial
Old 03-04-2002, 10:35 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

I think the weather might have some affect. Not sure how much though?
Old 03-04-2002, 11:27 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
just a suggestion, maybe you should advertise your autothority chips on ebay as 1 bar chips, which is what they should be, 18-20 psi may not garner much bidding.

Jason
Old 03-04-2002, 11:31 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Point taken.

thanks
Old 03-05-2002, 04:48 AM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adrial, I have seen this before on 89 951s and 88TS. Your car is screwed beyond repair, you must now sell it to me for salvage price. (you are getting VeRy sLeEpY)

No, really though. I dont have much of a clue about what is happening ot your car. Hopefully it isnt something very bad. Now the fun part, what are you gonna get with the money your chips yield? Since youre going factory specs (assuming only factory MECH. specs) why not get a killer amp and some nice 10s or 12s to bump your favorite tunes?
Old 03-05-2002, 06:49 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wierd, maybe your car had both the banjo-bolt mod and shimmed wastegate for inscreased boost?

Also check for any leaks or clogs from the banjo-bolt all the way to the wastegate. Could be the cycling-valve is broken and not letting any of the boost-control signal get to the wastegate at all?
Old 03-05-2002, 01:29 PM
bs
Pro

with fully stock chips, shouldn't the boost limit circuit cut the fuel or spark or something if the boost gets too high?

and when you say one bar of boost on the stock gauge, you mean the needle is pointing to 2, right? i think the 'A' in bar stands for 'absolute', so 1 is ambient pressure at sea level. to see how much boost you are getting over ambient, turn the key on and see what the gauge reads with the engine not started, then subtract that. mine must not be calibrated right because i live at less than 1,000 feet and mine only goes to 0.8 or so with the engine off.. it goes up to the 1.8 range before the boost limiter jars my teeth, although it's hard to read, so i might be getting a full 'bar' of pressure (there i go using an absolute scale as relative... grrr). that's, what, like 14.7 psi or something?
Old 03-05-2002, 06:01 PM
Danno
Race Director

Uh, 14.5psi. One ATM is not the same as 1 BAR.
Old 03-05-2002, 06:54 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Ambient for me (just turn the ignition to the run position, pos II i guess) is a tiny tiny bit under 1 bar...like .95 bar...

Anybody have any tips for checking if the cycling valve was drilled? Which openind would be drilled? The one to the wastegate, the intercooler pipe (banjo bolt) or intake? I would think the one to the WG?

thanks,
Adrial
Old 03-05-2002, 07:12 PM
Danno
Race Director

Don't they usually drill a hole in the body of the CV itself? Look for a 1-2mm hole somewhere.
Old 03-05-2002, 07:22 PM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

Adrial, are you still selling the gauge pod?
Old 03-07-2002, 08:00 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Yes, I am still selling it, but I have a few people I need to get back to.

I ghetto rigged the aftermarket gauge temporarily to the top of the steering column (tape! )...the car is in fact making stock boost, further proof that the factory gauge is useless. I didn't get a great look at the gauge because this was at night and the light in the gauge wasn't hooked up (only the interior light on), but it looked like it was @ about 12psi.

The cycling valve doesn't appear to be drilled.

On a related note...I drove my destination, stayed there for an hour and then drove away. Maybe 4 minutes after leaving, this doofus was on my *** (couldn't see his headlights...nope wasn't a camaro cop car)....so I got on it. I was in 3rd off boost (2500rpm?) when I got on it...once under way I looked in the rear view and I saw smoke..once I shifted to 4th it appeared to go away. It has been a few days since I got on it...and the car did do a short trip (1.5 miles) this morning...Is it safe to assume that what I saw was just water burning off? I did check the oil cap while the car was resting at home and it did have condensation on it. Typically I'll go the long way to school (oil doesn't get fully warmed up...but better than a 1.5 mile drive, not sure how far the long way is...5 miles maybe) and then off to work (10-15 miles). I just wanna make sure that its normal behavior. I checked the exhaust tip when i got home, it was black and sooty...but not wet.

thanks for any peace of mind,
Adrial

Quick Reply: Too much boost after mods removed?