Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo vs NA Poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 09:44 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dougs951
Same performance #'s?

Stock for stock?

I think I would take the turbo, simply for the potential for more 'easy' power.

For a DD I think a NA would be better, I DD'd my 951 and it got old after a while.

In fact I actually prefer driving my Dodge van in traffic over my 951.

Oh and Ethan's car is scary fast and JoKa is crazy.
Not making it to the fest will the 951 be this year... but I and it are getting even more crazy in the mean time...
Old 06-04-2010, 12:45 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
+1

my NA feels super tossable, actually throwable, in a regular set of driving even to the grocery store i do things in that car that would make my old mazda flip over

ive driven 951s and a 968 and while they certainly were much, much faster while accelerating, when it came to a corner it just felt so much heavier...this is part of the reason why i choose to develop my car rather than "sell it and buy a turbo"
I don't agree with a lot of the stuff you say ..... but this I agree with whole heartedly.

I plan to make the best of both worlds..... Even though its a farce. They are the same car with mildly different attachments.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:21 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by m73m95
I don't agree with a lot of the stuff you say ..... but this I agree with whole heartedly.

I plan to make the best of both worlds..... Even though its a farce. They are the same car with mildly different attachments.

i agree with most of what Spence has to say... but not this time.

not significant enough weight differences in these cars. they can all be made to work WELL.

depends more on how the car's suspensions have been maintained... are they running better wheels and tires ?? -- i've removed weight from my car w/ the seat delete, about a 70 pound lighter exhaust and sport seats... w/ running bigger wheels, huge rotors and calipers, i've lost some acceleration,

but with the dampening effect of the tires, the extra unsprung weight which is probably helping a bit to anchor the car, doesn't seem so bad...

the thing just grips to the end of time, no matter what i do.... and i've done some things in my car maybe i shouldn't have, but, the car is pretty solid... if i chang the fenders and hood to cf, something worth doing ? bad idea ?

this video is the virginia raceway. it isn't me but it does remind me of my car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9SyC...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erxGi8b81zE&NR=1

Last edited by odurandina; 06-04-2010 at 01:41 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:45 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The "" was to imply I was joking.....
Old 06-04-2010, 04:08 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Q: what would the Bruins have done if they had ever been lucky enough to draft him ?

A: he would have been shipped out of town with all the other great players they dumped overboard through the years.... of course.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:30 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Obvioulsy your focusing on modded cars for those times.

That being said, I would only want an NA if keeping fairly stock becuase it is WAYYY more expensive and time consuming to modify an NA car vs forced induction.

Take a bone stock good condition 951 + chip + MAF = 300hp give or take for less than an hours work and a couple hundred bucks. No way to get those kinds of gains that easily with NA car.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:41 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
For the people that have used the "tossable" argument, I'd like to know how you define that. I have a hunch you're defining it as "less weight transfer on and off throttle" - meaning, if you're in a turn, and you change your mind about how much power you want to transfer to the road, the car can pretty much "absorb" that weight transfer while maintaining a reasonable amount of grip.
No that is not what I mean. the 944 NA is ligther and tossable means steering response. It is easier to throw into a corner. This means less effort to get it to turn. The reason for it that Turbo uses more tire, more weight, and the stiffer suspension. So all that makes it feel more planted and harder to toss into a corner.

Clearly a 944 Turbo can corner faster than 944 NA, but on streets or even a tight track that lighter weight of the NA will make the car feel faster and in some cases produce faster lap times. Higher speeds and longer steady state corners will suit the Turbos much more.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:51 AM
M758
Race Director

Look for any 944 NA (3.5L or 3.0L) The power you have stock is about it. You are not going to see alot more without speding $$$$$$$$ to get there. So if from day 1 these cars don't have the accell you crave it will never get better.

Turbos have room for growth. They can gain big power without much expense. The is easy access to power makes them good straight line cars. All NA cars tend to be more balacne cars since about all you can do is make them better handling cars. Plus the power deliver in turbo car is very exitting. Nothing at low revs then bang. Power. That makes it fee faster than a smoother NA power delivery.

Still having owned any tracked both NA's and Turbos they are different cars. For street driving I prefer the turbo. Why? a 250hp turbo has enough juice on street to get around anything. A 150 hp NA... Not so much. On the track I like the NA cars most because the operating costs are less. Smaller tires, smaller brakes, not desire to turn up the boost. Fun in a package where I mush drive it hard in the corners. Plus it fun passing turbos and cars with 200 more hp than my 944.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:21 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
Still having owned any tracked both NA's and Turbos they are different cars. For street driving I prefer the turbo. Why? a 250hp turbo has enough juice on street to get around anything. A 150 hp NA... Not so much. On the track I like the NA cars most because the operating costs are less. Smaller tires, smaller brakes, not desire to turn up the boost. Fun in a package where I mush drive it hard in the corners. Plus it fun passing turbos and cars with 200 more hp than my 944.

Now let's keep fantasies off this thread, facts please.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:41 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by lart951
Now let's keep fantasies off this thread, facts please.
Hey have run in DE3 with my race car and been held up by 944 Turbos and gotten point bys. Of course we are comparing a race prepped 2450 lbs 944 NA vs a 3200lbs 944 Turbo on street tires with driver with much still much to learn, but hey... I did do it. Oh... that was with a passenger in my race car too.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:28 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Originally Posted by lovemyp-car
MEEEEE!!!!

haha, now obviously i can't really comment on this dilemma because i've never driven a turbo, but i did get to go for a ride with doug in his 951 and it was SCARY!!! When that turbo hits it was extremely exhilarating, but i have a feeling i could beat him in a straight line race, at least for a bit before i lost time trying to shift that n/a trans through the gears.

For me, i LOVE the instant torque from an n/a car, the sheer speed of a turbo is impressive, but when i can punch you back in your seat from a stop up to 80, i think i win....that is all.

Ethan

you're running a 350 sbc right ? must be a friggin' blast.

Originally Posted by elzergone
I love my NA, but it is kinda pokey

I have driven a 951, and other turbo cars. I think a turbo is alot of fun, and I'd love to have a 951 one day, but my dream 944 is either an s2, or my NA with a 968 engine in it. I like flat power delivery I guess.

a 968 is designed to go better than the 236 hp engine can deliver... drop a 968 engine in your car and within a few days, you'll be dreaming of more power. i can't imagine what having 100 more horsepower and limited slip could do for our cars.

so, why more power ? the cars are great, but in the end you need it to make up for the lack of torque.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^LT1 actually.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:47 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

good motor. a bit of an oddball, they were in production for only a few years... not really that much of an advantage over any well built sbc... lighter heads, reverse flow. weird motor for sure. but it can make a lot of power and a ton of abuse.

that car must screw - pull all the way to 170 mph, long as he's running a good exhaust and the T box.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:46 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

With the little experience I have I must say that if I was going to choose a car that had equal everything but one was N/A the other Turbo I would be tempted on taking the N/A just cause of the sheer fact it's all engine power and likely less problems (i.e. turbo, wastegate, bov, controllers, fuel managment).

But the feel of the Turbo as it boosts is priceless in itself... I love driving my 951, funest car I've owned... Would I take a 944 LS1 over it.... tough choice.

I've never driven a N/A 944 or even sat in one, so if your near Virginia Beach let me know lol.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:01 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by odurandina
good motor. a bit of an oddball, they were in production for only a few years... not really that much of an advantage over any well built sbc... lighter heads, reverse flow. weird motor for sure. but it can make a lot of power and a ton of abuse.

that car must screw - pull all the way to 170 mph, long as he's running a good exhaust and the T box.
no turbo box yet...that's one thing i still haven't had the chance to do. once doug and i get the wiring back together it will hopefully have no problems pulling strong up past 140. doug has experienced one simulation where we did a pull from a stop sign to 103 i think it was...that 911 in front of me was quite surprised.

the lt1 does have some interesting quirks about it, it's definitely the mix and match link between the sbc and the ls motors. just wish they made an aluminum block version!! i find the LT1 very easy to work on, heck of a lot easier than the 2.5L rubber band motor.

Quick Reply: Turbo vs NA Poll