Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo vs NA Poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 11:17 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
I beg to differ. I don't know about the S2, but my 968 with the rebuild motor and tuned timing (all to spec, all stock) pins me back every time. I don't crave straight-line acceleration just for its own sake, but it is useful and I want a lot of it, and that 968 makes me grin.

NAs are like big dongs and turbos are like smaller dongs and you "know how to use it". Say what you will, but even if the big dong belongs to a retard, he's still the funner ride.
So you would choose the 968NA over the 968 TurboRS? Riiiight.

And what the hell are you doing riding a 'tards dong?

Relax...just kidding
Old 06-03-2010, 01:20 AM
till_that_day
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
5. stay N/A... (okay, nice 944/968 you got there, what do you want, a medal ?)
/
Hilarious!

I dont have much experience driving turbos... the only one I've ever got to beat on is a stripped down '76 Pinto with an '85 mustang SVO 4cyl at 18psi... and the car is FAST, but in the same sentence it is either On or Off.

My N/A, you could say, is much more enjoyable to drive. Not so much ****-your-pants-giddy, but just enjoyable.

that being said

my next Porsche will be a turbo
Old 06-03-2010, 01:30 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 107 Posts

I have owned an 83, a 944S, and 2 951's. I would love to have the 944S motor in the 83 just because the 83 was so tossable. In the end I wouldn't trade the addiction of well tuned boost for anything though. The 83 and 87 NA's were great on tighter roads with very sharps turns and engine breaking. The 951's were king of the road in passing any car, climbing a pass at 16 psi, or stopping on a dime...what a freaking hoot! My nod is to the turbo for it's raw feeling and the 83 for finesse.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:32 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

i dare anyone who's never driven a properly built, tuned 944 T running like, 350 hp to get behind the wheel and take it out on a long drive on the twisties in Utah and W. Colorado, on I-15 and I-70 ---- do some serious exploring (more twisties), and beat the crap out of the frappin' thing for like, a month.... then come home to your _____ (and that includes me with my boring 250 hp 968) and tell me you don't wish you were burnin' 93 octane gasoline and packing BOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSTTTTTTT. yeah, like my car couldn't do with an extra hundred horsepower....

you lyin' sons of benedicts !

any man don't wanna get killed, better clear on out the back.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:50 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Turbo is more than speed and power, it's a feeling a cult. The n/a experience is basic TQ is available a low rpm's but doesn't increases as dramatically as it does on the turbo car. That's why on the turbo there is a sensation of never ending power. Which car is easier to drive a 350hp n/a or a 350hp turbo?, well the n/a will always be easier since power is available instantly and on the turbo it hits. Imagine yourself taking a turn, on the n/a you can control understeer with the throttle, if you try to do the same with a turbo the boost HIT might take you into a wheel spin.

Here is one of my favorite turbo videos btw the 951 has much less power than the GT3.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Geldfalle 944
Rennlist Member

I knew I wanted a turbo at some point but chose the N/A as they are cheaper to maintain and
a better option for a DD. I want a turbo to go to the track with. I am also a huge Ferrari nut
but as those are way too expensive to own much less race Porsche are the better option.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:54 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sydneyman2007
john, how are the wheels treating you by the way? i miss those things... would look good on the 968...

and so im not completely off topic, i have to agree with racer. i am addicted to the boost experience but the n/a is far better for simplicity's sake and for power when you need it. of course you can learn to drive with the turbo strung out at all times but that takes practice...

now if you just want a "fun factor" i'd say the turbo is worth a test drive at least!
Love the wheels BTW...
Old 06-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Van
You're right - we've totally gone astray.

Then, if the 2 cars have the same 0-60 times, and the same quarter mile times, I'd vote for the NA, because it'll have more low-end torque. Presumably, the turbo will have a higher peak HP, but both cars would have the same "area under the curve".
A turbo and an n/a 944 have the same 0-60 times!? You'd need major head work to do that.

(Just want to make sure the thread stays totally off the original topic.)
Old 06-03-2010, 12:08 PM
67King
Race Car

There seems to be somehting that no one here is catching. If your definition is equal acceleration times from zero to either a speed, or a distance, they will get there very differently. A turbo will have a higher trap speed because it takes a second to get going (I'm assuming we are not talking about something set up with a 2-step or other devices for drag racing that alleviates the lag). The turbo will in all likelihood be a faster car on the road, and will probably also be faster while out on a race track (assuming handling is identical).

Also, still speaking generally, if you drive a newer turbo car with direct injection, it will feel more like an NA than it will a 951. I just sold my Mazdaspeed6, but it felt like it had a small block in it. It was very wierd going back and forth from the 951 to it. Not so wierd going back and forth between it and the Audi.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:28 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Turbo is kind of a Jekyll and Hyde car -- on the highway, it's quieter than my 944S was, turns at lower RPMs and doesn't need to be shifted all that often.

In the S, I felt as though everywhere I went, I was flying. On track, I had to shift twice as often, and run it up to red line before every shift. Honestly, it was more fun. I think an 8v NA would be even better in this regard, particularly an early one.

Edit: 67King, I was lapping on Monday with a guy in a Mazdaspeed 6 on Hoosiers. That thing was an ANIMAL! We were pretty close on any of the momentum sections of the track, but out of the hairpin on the back straight, he could pull out 5-6 lengths on me, every time.

Last edited by pontifex4; 06-03-2010 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Mazdaspeed 6
Old 06-03-2010, 01:40 PM
DHC6
Racer

How does the saying go? "No replacement for Displacement" Now that being said, I really honestly lovem all. Also, you gotta make due with what you have as well. It's not always possible to drop a 6.0L V12 into your car.... There is a time and place for both, drag strip is good for Turbo cars, track is better for N/A. I enjoy track days, so for me the balance of power and my torque curve are very important, nothing worse then the boost kicking in at the wrong time, and you end up going backwards.... I am sure you will notice that most 944s out at the track are N/A (and all other types of cars), and likewise for those that hit the drag strip, you will notice more Turbo's (of all types of cars). So for me, neither is better, just different, each has a purpose. In the future I will have one of each in the stable, for now I have an S2, because I go out to the track every Monday evening, and I need the smooth power band.

So I guess I wasn't much help... I like them both...
Old 06-03-2010, 02:02 PM
krystar
Drifting

no replacement for displacement (fine print: except boost and nitrous)

a roots/lysholm supercharged engine performs as good if not better than a larger displacement engine with same hp/tq levels.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by krystar
no replacement for displacement (fine print: except boost and nitrous)

a roots/lysholm supercharged engine performs as good if not better than a larger displacement engine with same hp/tq levels.
I was going to say that. I had a supercharged mercedes C32 (3.2 liters, 350 HP and the same torque), and right off idle, it felt like a big V8. Yes, a supercharger uses engine horsepower to make horsepower (while a turbo uses waste energy), but when well engineered, the s/c is king. Interesting that Audi went with a supercharged V6 on the new S4 and S5, after years of turbos.

Superchargers are less sensitive to where (bearings are not under the same stress), but it is a less tunable setup.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:22 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

I think we turbo guys should sell the turbo's and buy n/a's
Old 06-03-2010, 03:26 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

how much hp from a N/A car ? 145 hp ? 170 hp ? how many you all running 200 + hp ?

where me driving ? --- track ? nope. twisties ? 0.0004 % of the time... freeway ? yep,

a second of T-lag gonna defate you when you fixing to humiliate the enemy ?

it's about the money why i ain't yet daily driving w/ more power.

http://www.ststurbo.com/turbolag

http://www.clarks-garage.com/951faq.htm

Quick Reply: Turbo vs NA Poll