Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone made a headliner

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010 | 06:38 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 75ohm
I bought tons of that stuff over the years... light spray on the foam side, heavier on the component side... work in right conditions (not cold) and in the light so you can see what you are doing... let both pieces dry for a minute before joining...
allow the glue to tack?
Old 07-01-2010 | 07:22 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
allow the glue to tack?
Yup...

One thing it does do for you is allow for a much better adhesion between surfaces, along with, not having the contents while more liquid from seeping through the foam and fabric as you're applying it.
Old 07-02-2010 | 10:21 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
where did you source the headliner material
Funny you brought this back up. I just ordered a different material a couple days ago.

The cloth that I used last time I got from www.stockinteriors.com. This time around I ordered 6 yards of foam backed faux suede (similar to Alcantara) from www.yourautotrim.com. They also carry perforated vinyl (but were out of black when I placed my order).
Old 07-02-2010 | 12:13 PM
67King
Race Car

I replaced the headliner in a Merkur I used to have. Michaeals sells headliner material. They also sell vinyl. It is VERY easy to do. Pull the backing card out of your car, strip, spray on the spray adhesive (to both), and bond. Leave some overlap, then remove the foam backing at the edge of the card, spray the top side, and overlap the remaining cloth. If you were to do vinyl, I would expect you'd get better results with a small layer of foam, to allow it to take up as much of the shape as possible, as vinyl isn't that flexible.
Old 07-02-2010 | 12:30 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

the sunroof panel i imagine will be fairly simple, my concern is basically installing the new headliner surround...that'll be interesting, being upsidedown and all.
Old 07-02-2010 | 02:47 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Originally Posted by 67King
I replaced the headliner in a Merkur I used to have. Michaeals sells headliner material. They also sell vinyl. It is VERY easy to do. Pull the backing card out of your car, strip, spray on the spray adhesive (to both), and bond. Leave some overlap, then remove the foam backing at the edge of the card, spray the top side, and overlap the remaining cloth. If you were to do vinyl, I would expect you'd get better results with a small layer of foam, to allow it to take up as much of the shape as possible, as vinyl isn't that flexible.
Easy on most cars, but the 944/951 isn't most cars. There's no backer board - the material is attached directly to the roof. I wish there was a backer board, it would make the job a lot easier!

Sunroof panel is easy, provided you can get it off in one piece. I wish someone made a replacement panel that was made from plastic instead of pressboard.
Old 07-03-2010 | 02:17 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

sunroof panel is easy to remove in one piece, i have done it many times on many 44s...?

you could fiberglass yours.

good news is that i got a complete headliner today to use as a model. it is bigger than i expected. will update this when the day comes.
Old 07-03-2010 | 11:21 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

I didn't realize that sunroof models had a real headliner - I thought it was just trim pieces all around. When I redid my non-sunroof headliner, I got another non-sunroof headliner and gave it to a pro to use as a template. He took that and made a new headliner out of vinyl. I unfortuantely don't have any pictures at the moment, but the end result looked great and very close to OEM (most people probably wouldn't notice that it isn't)
Old 07-03-2010 | 11:58 AM
Texas Performance
Advanced

I have the sun roof replacement piece in fiberglass, I can post pictures next week when I get back to the shop if you would like.
Old 07-03-2010 | 12:16 PM
bulldog24
Instructor

I pulled the material out of my parts car intact. I was going to try and use it as replacement for another project but ended up getting rid of that car also. If you need it as a template, I'd be happy to just give it to you for the cost of shipping.
Old 07-03-2010 | 12:25 PM
Texas Performance
Advanced

IF you're talking to me, Thanks , btu I have the mold done, I just have to polish it and its ready for part making. We finished the rear headliner part a couple of weeks ago. It turned out great. Sun roof part should be the same.
I see that you are in Mansfield, I am just south of the city limit sign.
Old 07-03-2010 | 06:46 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

wow, really nice work!

hey guys, i am doing something similar to my new 944! i can't resist spending all my time on this beautiful classic! the rear headliner above the backseats is drooping down. the 944 came this way when it became mine about a week ago and now i would like to fix it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

i'm thinking i'll just use some sort of spray adhesive like mentioned above and adhere the existing headliner to the ceiling. i hope to ensure that the spray doesnt go all over the place.
Old 07-03-2010 | 11:16 PM
Texas Performance
Advanced

If you are just doing the rear piece , Take it out. You will spend to much time taping everything off and you will still get adhesive everywhere. Also the vinyl is suppose to be wrapped around the edges, you won't be able to do that very easy in the car.
Old 07-03-2010 | 11:21 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Texas Performance
If you are just doing the rear piece , Take it out. You will spend to much time taping everything off and you will still get adhesive everywhere. Also the vinyl is suppose to be wrapped around the edges, you won't be able to do that very easy in the car.
noted . right...i don't really want to deal with glue.

you suggest leaving the cardboard-type material bare or removing that too? i don't know what it looks like under there but if i leave it bare and sand it, it still wont match the black interior.
Old 07-03-2010 | 11:26 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

that piece is super easy to remove, i believe 7 screws are all that hold it in. you will see the vinyl glued onto the back. wouldnt hurt to lay some fiberglass on the inside of the cardboard and then you could paint it black or recover it

Quick Reply: Anyone made a headliner