Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My restoration thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 09:33 PM
Strike-Force
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My restoration thread

While it may not be as complete as many other member's restorations here, I'm going to use this thread to track my progress and post some questions I have along the way. A little background: I've had the car since I was 16 (23 now), was my daily driver then. When I bought the car I did the w/pump, T/belt, balance belt, rollers, etc. Later when I was 17 I put a clutch in. When I was 19 the Headgasket went and I parked the car. I bought an Explorer and drove that daily while I saved money for the repair. Once I repaired the headgasket, I still only drove the car on weekends. This past October (22) I bought an 07 F150, and in December I sold my Explorer. I'm now at a point in my life where I have the time and resources to put a little toward what I've always wanted, my Porsche. I've neglected it a little the past few years but now I'm starting to bring her back to life. I'm going to try to post pictures weekly so here goes!

Started May 17, 2010 by scheduling her at the body shop. August 23 is the date she will go in for body work and a full respray. Until then I have some mechanical stuff I'm going to do! I pulled off the center caps to restore them. I got them in all silver on the 17th.

Next post (in a few minutes) will show pictures of the car currently and progess till today (27th).

Planned repairs until the end of the year:
Repaint center caps
New carpet (Ordered)
Frame straightened / passenger rear quarter installed / full respray (Aug 23.)
Motor Mounts
Constant full heat while driving
Removing rear seat
SS Brake Lines
New Shift Boot
New Windshield
New Hatch Seal
New Door Seals
New Shifter Insert
New Fuel Hoses
New Vacuum Hoses
Paint Intake / Cam Tower / Distributor Housing
New Plug Wires
New Brake Master Cylinder
New Coolant Overflow Bottle
Headlight Upgrade
Fog Lights
Snub Bumper
Shave Washers
Repair Sunroof
Paint Calipers
New Hood Liner
Old 05-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Strike-Force
Racer

This is the car as it stands on May 27, 2010

Drivers Rear

Drivers Front

Front

Pass Front

Pass Rear

Rear
Old 05-27-2010, 09:41 PM
Strike-Force
Racer

Under Hood:

Shifter / Interior

Unfinished Center caps

Hood Badge
Old 05-27-2010, 09:44 PM
Strike-Force
Racer

Rear Seat Gone

Sunroof - I can open it with my hand at any time, will not latch, and I don't see anything to make it latch. Any tips / ideas?

Rear Hatch - Two pictures, this hinge (Passenger side, between the top of the hatch and the body, at the top by the roof) the pin that goes through the hinge is gone, no idea where it got to. Can I get a new pin and just reseal my hatch? The car leaks water here.

Strike-Force
Racer

That's all for today, hopefully more pictures next week!
IGROWL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't wait to see the final results.

I just had my 944 that I have owned for 23 years repainted. I am currently putting it back together and will post pictures of the beginning until end when I am done.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:45 PM
carlege
Drifting

i give a fail to who ever balanced your wheels. Those weights belong behind the wheel. Looks like you have alot of work ahead of you. Good luck
Old 05-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Strike-Force
Racer

With the new repainted center caps (Can see in drivers side pics) I might repaint my phonies, but even if I don't the wheels will be re-balanced so the weights go on the inside.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:58 PM
Peter 642
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sunroof - I can open it with my hand at any time, will not latch, and I don't see anything to make it latch. Any tips / ideas?
Assuming your sunroof is not significantly different than the slightly newer cars, and being that I can see via your interior pics that it looks like you may have a sunroof tilt button (can't swear it; I have two more buttons there), your sunroof locks into place in the back via arms that should come out of the two housings immediately seated behind the sunroof. Plastic gears, one on each side, go bad. Recommend you search Clark's Garage or this site for sunroof repairs for full, well-detailed instructions, and various part sites for the gears themselves.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:42 AM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like a fun project. Good luck and looking forward to seeing the final result.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:35 PM
Strike-Force
Racer

Sunroof - Followed clarks-garage. Switch is good, relay is good, Direction relays are good, but no power to the directional relays, has to be a broken red power wire to them, anyone know a common area they break?
Old 05-30-2010, 11:02 PM
Yarf
Racer

Did you check the fuse?
Old 05-30-2010, 11:33 PM
Strike-Force
Racer

Fuse is good also.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:26 AM
Strike-Force
Racer

Okay, so I do have 12v to the directional relays, but no resistance reading in the microswitch between the sunvisors (Triangle one). I am assuming that I have to replace the microswitch. Where is a good place to purchase one, and there is no way to bypass it, correct?
Old 05-31-2010, 11:34 AM
Quikzilver
Advanced

Check 944online.com for the switch. Jamie and Ian are really great and customer service is top notch. I had some parts on order that I needed for this weekend and a part that I didn't need was on back order. Jamie hand delivered the parts to me on Saturday (I live a little North of them and he was going to be driving by, so he figured he would drop them off). Great company to deal with!!

Quick Reply: My restoration thread