Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering and Torsion Bar Replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 11:08 AM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

even if u went coilovers, u still would have done all the work in removing the torsion bar. the only step you don't do is knowing how much to reindex it. but additionally, u do alot more installing the coilover.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:08 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Torsionre indexing is so much fun.. Heck I am still mucking with mine but then again I am a pickey bastard and am working on spot on alignment too !

Tom
Old 05-31-2010, 10:35 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Just did a car last night, reindexed the bars to maintain ride height when adding 968 M030 rear shocks with the barrel helper spring (which raised the car 1").

About 7 hrs of straight work.

Done the t-bar job about 10 times now on different cars over the years and each time it still sucks, in its own special way...
Old 05-31-2010, 10:37 AM
jamesjedi
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Tom,

After searching for ride height, I cam across the post on your torsion bar reindexing. How low did you go? I am at about 4 inches measued at the rocker. One side is a little lower, I wonder if I am off by one inner spline? If I am, does that mean that the bars should be taken out again, or can I adjust at the spring plate even though I may be out by one inner spline?

Is there another way to check that both bars are in the same?
Old 06-02-2010, 10:54 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesjedi
If I am using the Excel sheet correctly, two outer splines will result in a drop of 3.51 inches, or close to 90 mm? That sounds like allot.
Yes,but with a 28 mm t-bar the spring will compress only 1/2 as much as it did before.

My spreadsheet calcuates that spring compression to first make sure the ride height is the same when you increase the spring rate. The on top of that you can do a ride height change.

BTW.. i have done 2 t-bars jobs using my spreadsheet. Got them right both times. However I never could accurately figure how many splines to move since they are blind. (I can't see them).

Even so I moved from 23 mm to 28 mm and from 28 mm to 30 mm.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:19 PM
jamesjedi
Rennlist Member

Smile

I dropped two outer splines (going from 23 to 28mm torsion bar). I will go to Mantis racing for a consult and to see if I should go ahead with alignment. At this moment it looks like the rear is lower than front, but I will wait until the car is measured properly, instead of my driveway.

I REALLY hope that I do not have to do it again.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:43 PM
krystar
Drifting

if you're satisfied with the rear ride height, just match the front height.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

I have kids...etc. That job took far too long. My 0.001 cent opinion on the matter is that with the time it took away from the family, perhaps the coil over solution would have been a more reasonable route. Just a thought.
That was my thinking. Just pulling out the t-bars is less than half the job of indexing, assuming it goes well. And installing rear coilovers is no more effort than installing rear shocks; which you do when you pull t-bars anyway. What would be cool would be a plastic protractor/sliderule/ arm/gauge that fits over the end of the t-bar. Someone could make dozens of dollars creating and selling them.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:34 PM
jamesjedi
Rennlist Member

I have significantly lowered the front Koni coil overs. They can only go so low, at least that is what Jason mentioned this morning at Paragon. He said that they should have a mininun of one inch of travel, otherwise the car is at risk of riding on the bump stops. That said, I am not sure how much travel I have. I will find out tomorrow when I go to Mantis Racing.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:43 PM
944Spec_Bound
Intermediate

Hi Tom,

After searching for ride height, I cam across the post on your torsion bar reindexing. How low did you go? I am at about 4 inches measued at the rocker. One side is a little lower, I wonder if I am off by one inner spline? If I am, does that mean that the bars should be taken out again, or can I adjust at the spring plate even though I may be out by one inner spline?

Is there another way to check that both bars are in the same?
A little lower on one side is probably OK to adjust externally, but I'd think that using the spring plate to make up for more than a spline being off is not ideal. Wouldn't it make it harder to do accurate rear alignment and/or corner balancing?
I did mine twice to get it right, because I tried doing shortcuts and didn't use Joe's spreadsheet the first time. If someone holds a gun to my head and makes me do another t-bar job, I'll quit messing around and just drop the whole rear to begin with.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by 944Spec_Bound
A little lower on one side is probably OK to adjust externally, but I'd think that using the spring plate to make up for more than a spline being off is not ideal. Wouldn't it make it harder to do accurate rear alignment and/or corner balancing?
I did mine twice to get it right, because I tried doing shortcuts and didn't use Joe's spreadsheet the first time. If someone holds a gun to my head and makes me do another t-bar job, I'll quit messing around and just drop the whole rear to begin with.
Hey, our sigs are duplicates!
Old 06-02-2010, 03:55 PM
krystar
Drifting

on your front, what's measurement from center of hub to top of the wheel wheel. any lower than 13", you start having issues with binding the ball joints.

travel is ez to measure. jack up the car. put it on stands. take off the wheel. position jack under the balljoint on the lower control arm. pump the jack up until the car lifts off the stand. measure how much distance between shock and the bumpstop. that's how much travel u have left
Old 06-02-2010, 03:56 PM
krystar
Drifting

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
heh...guards red porsche....they're so rare :P
Old 06-02-2010, 04:18 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by krystar
heh...guards red porsche....they're so rare :P
Whoa! You own a 944 too? Small world.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:19 PM
944Spec_Bound
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
thats funny. Except I appear to be on a negative camber corner while your on a positive camber. Or we just had drunk photographers.

Quick Reply: Lowering and Torsion Bar Replacement.