Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering gone

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 05:52 PM
aljolyn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering gone

the power steering line on my '88 944 N/A rusted thru. Thought I could just disconnect it and replace it but after looking at the way it wrapped around the rack I decided it would be easier to remove the rack. Halfway thru I decided to just take the P/S belt off and run like that. Not to bad but I'd like to replace with a manual steering rack. Auto Zone has one for About $300 plus change. Will this bolt right up? Any other parts needed or have to be changed?
Old 05-23-2010, 07:10 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This will help you. Lots more in the DIY section

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...rack-swap.html

GL
John
Old 05-23-2010, 09:40 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

manual racks are the best. I just got mine recently.
Try to get a used one on here, they kinda rare, but almost always sell for $250-$300.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:30 AM
aljolyn
Instructor

Originally Posted by Calmchaos
Try to get a used one on here, they kinda rare, but almost always sell for $250-$300.
The one at auto zone was was a little over $300 but I'm not sure if I'll need anything else. By the way where in Burlington are you? I'm in Lacey Twp. (Ocean County)
Old 05-24-2010, 03:26 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

I live just barely on the Burlington side of Ocean County right before you get to Manchester.
I would imagine that with the autozone one you would at least need the shaft from the steering wheel to the rack. And maybe even the inner and outer tie rods.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:19 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You'll need manual tie rods and tie rod ends, specific to either early or late suspension offset- either 86 and under or 87+. If I was doing it again, I would probably just plug the rack with the proper lube/grease inside. There wasn't a huge difference to the dry power rack for me.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best?
Old 05-24-2010, 07:02 PM
aljolyn
Instructor

Lived in Whiting before moving here. Auto Zone said it came with inner tie rod ends. Outers the couldn't get and said nothing about steering connections. I'll run it the way it is until I find a manual setup.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:40 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Swagger93
The best?
Yeah, why not?

Originally Posted by aljolyn
Lived in Whiting before moving here. Auto Zone said it came with inner tie rod ends. Outers the couldn't get and said nothing about steering connections. I'll run it the way it is until I find a manual setup.
Oh wow, whiting is right up the road (as you must know). Probably the closes rennlister to me. What color is your car?
Old 05-25-2010, 04:53 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The intermediate shaft is hard to find if you don't get it in a packaged deal, and you should be able to get the tie rod assy from Paragon.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:51 PM
aljolyn
Instructor

Yeah, why not?

Oh wow, whiting is right up the road (as you must know). Probably the closes rennlister to me. What color is your car?
Silver. Next project is repainting, as soon as the boat gets in the water.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:11 AM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

You going to paint it yourself? I tried that once... And I suck at it lol.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:55 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by aljolyn
the power steering line on my '88 944 N/A rusted thru. Thought I could just disconnect it and replace it but after looking at the way it wrapped around the rack I decided it would be easier to remove the rack. Halfway thru I decided to just take the P/S belt off and run like that. Not to bad but I'd like to replace with a manual steering rack. Auto Zone has one for About $300 plus change. Will this bolt right up? Any other parts needed or have to be changed?
That's a typo/mistake in Autozone's system/website. If you had them order it in for you, you'd find that it is actually a remanned power rack. They don't actually have 944 manual racks available. BTDT.

As others have said, look for a used manual rack from a 1983 944. They pop up here and on eBay quite regularly. The racks themselves tend to be fine as long as the mileage isn't crazy high on them. The wear items are the tie-rods (inners and outers) and the intermediate (steering) shafts. The intermediate shafts for manual racks are longer than the power units and are NLA from Porsche.

If you get a used manual intermediate shaft that has some play in the joints, you might be able to get it rebuilt. As an experiment last year I bought a new power intermediate shaft, and took it and a worn out manual shaft down to a good local machine shop and a day later they had removed the dead joints from the manual shaft and pressed the joints from the power shaft onto it for me. Total cost for the work was $100. Now I have a spare laying about in case I ever need it.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:26 PM
aljolyn
Instructor

I have a friend that has a body shop. I do all the prep and he shoots it for me.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:27 PM
aljolyn
Instructor

Originally Posted by tifosiman
That's a typo/mistake in Autozone's system/website. If you had them order it in for you, you'd find that it is actually a remanned power rack. They don't actually have 944 manual racks available. BTDT.

As others have said, look for a used manual rack from a 1983 944. They pop up here and on eBay quite regularly. The racks themselves tend to be fine as long as the mileage isn't crazy high on them. The wear items are the tie-rods (inners and outers) and the intermediate (steering) shafts. The intermediate shafts for manual racks are longer than the power units and are NLA from Porsche.

If you get a used manual intermediate shaft that has some play in the joints, you might be able to get it rebuilt. As an experiment last year I bought a new power intermediate shaft, and took it and a worn out manual shaft down to a good local machine shop and a day later they had removed the dead joints from the manual shaft and pressed the joints from the power shaft onto it for me. Total cost for the work was $100. Now I have a spare laying about in case I ever need it.
The '83 rack will work on a '88?

Quick Reply: power steering gone